Re: [genpcncfir] Re: Moores and McClains & bastardy bonds

    Message 1 of 82 , May 18 5:46 PM
      Dear Cheryl,
           My great grandfather is George Moore of Doodle Ridge in Pitt County. His daughter Martha Ann Moore married my ancestor William McGowan.
           The other Moore is Martin Moore--also my great grandfather. His daughter Perlina Moore married my ancestor Lemuel McGowan, Sr.
           Later, Carol
      From: cheryl rhoden <rhodenccc@yahoo. com>
      To: genpcncfir@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Tuesday, May 4, 2010, 8:24 PM

      Dear Carol and all,

      Thank you for this and I'm going to bet it will help other researchers. We have the records of the marriages, deaths, tax rolls, wills etc. for most of our North Carolina ancestors. (I've posted a lot of the previously here.) That John Moore father of Caleb who was likely early to mid 1700s in Pitt or Beaufort still eludes us. I remain convinced we will find him. And, Huxford has published John Moore's will and his heirs that filed a POA in 1821. So, that piece of the puzzle is somewhat nailed down. And, we're pretty sure his property was just off the Tar River at Grindles Creek.

      Both of my great grandmothers were born in GA. The families migrated from NC and SC into GA and Fl in the very early 1800s. Before that they were at Jamestown and Plymouth and migrated south.  And,  both of my great grandmothers  came 'of age' just during or post the CW. Neither one of them seemed to have married the fathers of their children and I have found no records of bastardy bonds in Ga. (course, it was post CW and all was in chaos).  Tho' we do have the recounts and stories of elders (now deceased) in the family as to who the fathers were. Both of them married later in life after their children were born and mostly grown and we do have the records of those marriages. Course, they may have married earlier and there is no record because so many of the courthouses burned. Who knows? Family lore is that they did not marry.

      And, I sort of can't believe I'm old enough now to have had two great grandmothers that lived through the Civil War. Both of them died in the 1920s and are buried at North Prong in Baker Co Fl.  This is my father's family. My Mother's family came from Germany in the mid-1800s. That seems so much easier to research than a "John Moore" in North Carolina. all best, cheryl o7o

      ____________ _________ _________ __
      From: cheryl rhoden <rhodenccc@yahoo. com>
      To: genpcncfir@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Saturday, April 24, 2010, 7:01 PM

      Dear Carol ,, What you describe below is exactly what I have found as well. In one instance, my great-grandmother was listed as "Richard" on the census. We went to great lengths to try to figure out where Rachel was in that 1860 census and who the heck Richard was. There are so many genforms out there listing a "Richard" as one of the children. Nope, it was our Rachel. We reached that conclusion as the only logical conclusion.

      Now, I do not like to change themes in the midst of a thread ,, but I'm going to do so with this one. In particular, because most of us in this group have ancestors in the south. Another researcher I have exchanged with told me that 'children born out of wedlock' was not at all uncommon after the Civil War. Half or more of the men were killed. And, women did what they did. That period seems to be 'post bastardy bonds' (frankly a law our country should reconsider). So, I'd like to know if anyone knows of research into that. This is a great group. best, Cheryl o7o

      Message 82 of 82 , Jun 5, 2010
        Dear Cheryl,
             I'll get right back with you in a few minutes. I have some of my files online.
             Carol