[genpcfr] Re: posting Edward Cannon Will

  • Elizabeth Ross
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 1999
      Martha and Mahala,

      With only an occasional exception, the PCFR is posting on its own website
      *only* documents that are too big to publish in the Quarterly without
      running "to be continued" segments. Individual wills and small collections
      are usually published in the PCG Quarterly, including wills of related,
      adjoining counties. I will leave the final decision, then, to Roger (the
      excellent Q.'s excellent editor).

      If you wish, Martha, you may also post a transcription of the will on the
      Beaufort Co. GenConnect Board, accessible through Rootsweb's home page (look
      for "Resources at Rootsweb" and then choose NC, then Beaufort Co....etc.).
      You can also contribute your transcription to the NCGenWeb Beaufort County
      Archives (of which I am the file manager, so you'd send the copy to me via
      email). Of course, all contributions are voluntary, and you may wish to
      leave copies in all 3 places: the PCFR vertical file, (we hope!), the Beau.
      GenConnect Will Board, and the NCGenWeb Archives, Beaufort Co.

      As always, Martha, your generous contributions to our regional research are
      greatly appreciated, and we thank you, once again (!) for your tremendous
      effort and spirit of sharing.

      Betsy

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 31, 1999
        Betsy and Roger,

        Whatever ya'll want to do is fine with me. Will put a copy at the library,
        but if Roger wants to use it for the quarterly, will NOT put it on Beaufort
        Co until after it is in the quarterly. Have to get our priorities in order
        - quarterly gets first whack. Have already asked him about two other Pitt
        wills I copied.

        It seems to me if Edward's will is run someone needs to get a copy of
        Sarah's from Washington and run it at the same time. Don't know how many of
        their children had wills, but the will of son Henry - my ancestor - is at
        ECU - have to check to see which Collection I found it in. Did not copy
        it. Edward's will is short.

        Martha
      • Gayle Licari
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 31, 1999
          HEllo,
          I noticed on the Rowan County site the surname MAHALA. I had seen it
          before as a given name but not a Surname. Mahala do you have an history
          on the name. Thank you, Gayle

          Glad Dennis was not a s bad as He could have been. Gayle
        • Mahala McMillan
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 1999
            Gayle: No, I don't have a history on the name of Mahala as a surname. I
            was named after my great grandmother, Mahala Lewis Powell.. Use to hate
            the name as a kid but as an adult, I treasure it. I worked for 20 some odd
            years with the U. S. Navy and never needed a surname! I was in personnel
            and dealt with thousands of employees and they referred to me as
            "Ma-something".... If you learn the history, please let me know. Thanks.
            Mahala Powell McMillan
            > I noticed on the Rowan County site the surname MAHALA. I had seen it
            > before as a given name but not a Surname. Mahala do you have an history
            > on the name. Thank you, Gayle
            >
            > Glad Dennis was not a s bad as He could have been. Gayle

            > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/genpcfr

          • Gayle Licari
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 1999
              Will do Mahala, Where did you work. Cherry POINT by chance? Gayle
            • Mahala McMillan
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 2, 1999
                Gayle: I have worked in Glenview, ILL and Pensacola, FL. Never at Cherry
                Point although I have a lot of friends who transferred up there and I was
                born afew miles north of there in Vanceboro, NC. Mahala

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 2, 1999
                  Mahala,
                  We were in Ft. Walton at Elgin in 1968 flew out of Pensacola once. We
                  sold our home to a relocator from Pensacola to Cherry Point... Hubby
                  retired in
                  '93 then we moved west to CC, NV originally from Wayne County, NC
                  been through Vanceboro a few times going to Greenville, NC
                  Gayle
                  Hope you are liking retirement as much as hubby is...:-)