Re: [genpcncfir] Re: Moores and McClains

    Message 1 of 82 , May 4, 2010
      Dear Cheryl,
           The Pitt County Family Researchers in its Quarterly has published Bastardy Bonds in several different issues. You can find the Table of Contents of the Quarterlies on the website at http://www.rootsweb/~ncpcfr
           In these issues, Roger Kammerer lists where he located the bonds. Some may still be available on Microfilm at the Joyner Library of East Carolina University in Greenville.
           You can contact the Pitt County Courthouse in Greenville to get information on what records are housed there and which are at the Bureau of Vital Statistics in Raleigh. The staff at Joyner and at Sheppard Library in Greenville have been very helpful to me as well.
           When it comes to bastardy, my grandfather Alfred Worthington said, according to Mama, that there were no illegitimate children, only illegitimate parents.
           One of my own close relatives supposedly died unmarried yet fathered a child. His Death Certificate says he "never married." A marriage certificate that I also discovered lists him as the father of the bride. Some other records show the bride's mother as also "single" while additional records refer to her as "Mrs.," including her obituary and her Death Certificate. I discovered no Bastardy Bond.
           The bride was born March 7, 1879 according to the Pitt County Census of 1880. However, even her tombstone gives her birth as March 7, 1882. Starting my research with the information on the tombstone side-tracked me for a considerable amount of time.
           I find no information that reveals who was the deceased spouse of the bride's mother and no Marriage Record to date, but that does not mean there was none. I have not been able to give the search the time it deserves because of my job.
           If anyone is interested in helping to fill in the gaps in my information, I will be glad to share what I do have and my sources.

           Good to hear from you, Cheryl. It's always a pleasure to read your messages.

            Carol

      Message 82 of 82 , Jun 5, 2010
        Dear Cheryl,
             I'll get right back with you in a few minutes. I have some of my files online.
             Carol