Re: [genpcncfir] Re: Ancestry.com

    Message 1 of 82 , Apr 19, 2010
      Dear Ty,
           About names--you never know. In my own family, our older brother changed his name--both first and last--after marrying his second wife.
           He has two children by his first wife, and they bear his birth surname--Braxton. These children were born in Virginia when my brother was in his 20's.
           Nobody on earth would connect these children with William Rhoades of near Seattle, Washington or his son with the Rhoades surname and his descendants, with the Braxton kin of Virginia and of Pitt County, North Carolina.
           To make things even more puzzling, there is a man named William Rhoades living in Richmond, Virginia. He is no kin to us.
           Come to think of it, there is probably more than one William Rhoades living in Richmond, Virginia. If so, they are not kin to us either--at least not to the best of my knowledge.
           Another family member by birth decided not to take the surname of either of her husbands. Instead, her children have her maiden name. It would be very easy for researchers to assume that she never married. However, that is not the case.
           Likewise, it would be difficult to discover the fathers of her children.

            So, I caution you that when it comes to people and why they did what they did, the truth is not always easy to come by. That is why family history is so incredibly fascinating.
            I do hope that someone else who knows more about the family you mentioned than I do can give you the information you seek.
            Like you, I have had difficulty tracing kin because of the absence of any proof that a marriage had taken place. Finally, though, I found a descendant's marriage record that filled in the missing name I had been seeking.

            Thanks for sharing your story and your thoughts on your own family.

             Carol

      Message 82 of 82 , Jun 5, 2010
        Dear Cheryl,
             I'll get right back with you in a few minutes. I have some of my files online.
             Carol