Re: Smith-Hardee

  • TanyaW
    Message 1 of 33 , Mar 1, 2010
      My Tyson is Susannah (1701-1785) d/o Mathias Tyson and Mary LNU Tyson. Susannah apparently married Col. John Hardee and is Jemima's mother. Is your Thomas Susannah's brother?

      Tanya

      --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Paula Baker <paulabaker69@...> wrote:

      > Tanya,
      > Which Tysons are yours? Mine started in Greene Co and moved to Pitt Co . Thomas Tyson and Rachel Turnage, who lived in Greene.
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On Feb 26, 2010, at 10:46 PM, "TanyaW" <dare2bu@...> wrote:
      >
      > A big thank you to everyone that that has contributed. Really helps to fill in the gaps and present some nw starting points.
      > Hoping someone can help me with some birth dates for this Smith family.
      > I am a descendent of Argent Smith and Jacob Elks. My question is of her Mother, Mary Smith and grandparents, Oliver Smith and Nancy Sheppard.
      > According to the 1850 census, Argent was born in 1788. Nancy and Oliver Smith were apparently born about 1766 and married in 1786. How does Mary fit into this gap? Does anyone have a birthdate for Mary Smith (Charles Smith's {s/o David Smith and Jemima Hardee} wife)? Hope this makes sense...
      >
      > Thanx!
      > Tanya Elks
      >
      > ELKS/SMITH/HARDEE/WILLOUGHBY/SHEPPARD/TYSON/PARKER/POTTS
      >
      > --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Ross" <martingen@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Here's what the deeds and census records show me about Charles and Mary
      > > (Smith) Smith (so far). I've made no effort to find the parents of Oliver
      > > Smith and Nancy Sheppard--they lived in the town of Greenville. Charles's
      > > ancestry is pretty well documented by wills.
      > >
      > > Name: Charles Smith
      > > Father: David Smith Sr. (1733-1798)
      > > Mother: Jemima Hardee (-aft 1819)
      > > Spouse: Mary Smith
      > > Father: Oliver Smith (-1807)
      > > Mother: Nancy Sheppard (-ca 1818)
      > > Children:
      > > 1 Elizabeth Smith, d. bef 1845; m. Samuel Elks II
      > > 2 Winnifred Smith, d. bef 1842; m. William Mills Sr.
      > > 3 Argent Smith, b. 1788, d. aft 1850; m. Jacob Elks
      > > 4 Susannah (Susan) Smith, b. 1782, d. aft 1870; m. Simon Mills, Sr.
      > > (no children)
      > > 5 Samuel Smith, b. 1783 ; m. Sarah _______
      > > 6 Reuben Smith, d. bef 1842; m. ______ (had children)
      > >
      > > The info on the WFT disk concerning Col. John Hardee's family is wildly
      > > incorrect. He had only one son, Isaac, who died a young man without heirs.
      > > There are no male Hardees among the Colonel's descendants. He WAS the father
      > > of Jemima Hardee Smith, above, however. Do the WFT disks cite the sources
      > > and compilers of the information it sells? I noticed footnote numbers in the
      > > excerpt that Paula posted, but no notes to back them up.
      > >
      > > Betsy Ross

    • cheryl rhoden
      Message 33 of 33 , Mar 24, 2010
        Jean,   I have not run into this line in my own research. But, I did note his middle name was Noble. There is a lot of info out on the net on the Noble/Nobles family from Pitt. They did seem to cross with the Moore family (my line). And, the naming tradition was to give a family name as a middle name. I just offer this up as an idea. best, Cheryl Rhoden