Re: [genpcncfir] Re: Smith-Hardee

  • Lawhatter@aol.com
    Message 1 of 33 , Mar 1, 2010
      My GG Grandfather was Thomas E. Hardee, born 1808. His father was Robert
      and Robert's father was Isaac from the South side of the Tar River. Isaac
      died around 1780. There were two Isaac's in the Pitt County Regiment in
      1775. Based on a deed from Issac Stocks to Isaac Hardee, son of William,
      that isn't my Isaac. My Isaac could be the son of Robert (born 1710) and was
      having children from 1738 until after 1748. But several sources say he was
      unmarried. The Isaac that was John's son who married Cassandra Smith was
      25 years old and reportedly died without children. Because of the naming
      patterns, it would appear that my Isaac was the son of Robert. Anyone else
      sorting out the Isaacs in Pitt County?

      In a message dated 2/28/2010 7:01:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      paulabaker69@... writes:

      Which Tysons are yours? Mine started in Greene Co and moved to Pitt Co .
      Thomas Tyson and Rachel Turnage, who lived in Greene.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Feb 26, 2010, at 10:46 PM, "TanyaW" <dare2bu@...> wrote:

      A big thank you to everyone that that has contributed. Really helps to
      fill in the gaps and present some nw starting points.
      Hoping someone can help me with some birth dates for this Smith family.
      I am a descendent of Argent Smith and Jacob Elks. My question is of her
      Mother, Mary Smith and grandparents, Oliver Smith and Nancy Sheppard.
      According to the 1850 census, Argent was born in 1788. Nancy and Oliver
      Smith were apparently born about 1766 and married in 1786. How does Mary fit
      into this gap? Does anyone have a birthdate for Mary Smith (Charles Smith's
      {s/o David Smith and Jemima Hardee} wife)? Hope this makes sense...

      Tanya Elks

      --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Ross" <martingen@...> wrote:
      > Here's what the deeds and census records show me about Charles and Mary
      > (Smith) Smith (so far). I've made no effort to find the parents of
      > Smith and Nancy Sheppard--they lived in the town of Greenville.
      > ancestry is pretty well documented by wills.
      > Name: Charles Smith
      > Father: David Smith Sr. (1733-1798)
      > Mother: Jemima Hardee (-aft 1819)
      > Spouse: Mary Smith
      > Father: Oliver Smith (-1807)
      > Mother: Nancy Sheppard (-ca 1818)
      > Children:
      > 1 Elizabeth Smith, d. bef 1845; m. Samuel Elks II
      > 2 Winnifred Smith, d. bef 1842; m. William Mills Sr.
      > 3 Argent Smith, b. 1788, d. aft 1850; m. Jacob Elks
      > 4 Susannah (Susan) Smith, b. 1782, d. aft 1870; m. Simon Mills, Sr.
      > (no children)
      > 5 Samuel Smith, b. 1783 ; m. Sarah _______
      > 6 Reuben Smith, d. bef 1842; m. ______ (had children)
      > The info on the WFT disk concerning Col. John Hardee's family is wildly
      > incorrect. He had only one son, Isaac, who died a young man without
      > There are no male Hardees among the Colonel's descendants. He WAS the
      > of Jemima Hardee Smith, above, however. Do the WFT disks cite the
      > and compilers of the information it sells? I noticed footnote numbers in
      > excerpt that Paula posted, but no notes to back them up.
      > Betsy Ross

      Pitt County Historical Society:

      We welcome all Archives visitors and invite you to join our dynamic group
      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • cheryl rhoden
      Message 33 of 33 , Mar 24, 2010
        Jean,   I have not run into this line in my own research. But, I did note his middle name was Noble. There is a lot of info out on the net on the Noble/Nobles family from Pitt. They did seem to cross with the Moore family (my line). And, the naming tradition was to give a family name as a middle name. I just offer this up as an idea. best, Cheryl Rhoden