John Sanger Moore

  • wllm_slack
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2010
      I am looking for information and/or relatives on John S. Moore and his family.

      On the 1850 Census he is listed as a farmer and his family is:

      John S Moore (30 yrs)
      Rebecca (29 yrs)
      Sally A ( 9 yrs)
      Lawrence ( 7 yrs)
      James S ( 5 yrs)
      Marietta ( 1 yrs)
      Lydia Davenport (71 yrs)

      I believe this is the same John S. Moore who is listed in the 1860 census as a hotel owner in Butte county California; he listed his state of birth as North Carolina. He was the founder of Mooretown, and logging and gold mining town that was founded about 1853. He was murdered in 1886.

      I grew up in the town and am trying to put together a small history of John Moore and the town that we can put in our local school, which is the only part of the town that is left.
    • Bill Kittrell
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2010
        I have Edmond Davenport and Lydia Rollins Davenport as
        parents. I noted in the census that a Lydia Davenport is shown.
        Must be her mother.

        Here is note someone gave me about Edmond, but do not
        know how true it is.

        NOTE: He moved to TN about 1810-1814. The earliest reference
        I have to Edmond where he is mentioned by name is the
        1800 cenus of Pitt county, NC I have been unable to find him
        listed in the 1810 census. He is listed in the 1820 census in
        Wilson County, TN and again in the 1830 census in the same
        county. He became a land owner in the 1820 in the Sanders Fork
        area of Wilson County, TN. In 1835 he sold land in Wilson County
        and moved to Warren County, TN. He is listed in the tax records
        for Warren County in 1836. He is not listed in the 1840 census
        but there are two old males in his son Reuben's household. He is
        probably one of them. He is not listed in the 1850 census and likely
        died before 1850.

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2010
          Thanks for the information. I do believe that the John Moore in Pitt North Carolina is the same John Moore who founded Mooretown here in California during the gold rush.

          I would really like to find descendents who might have pictures or more information on him. I have some information posted on a website.
          It's www.historyoffeatherfalls.webs.com

          --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kittrell" <wbk99@...> wrote:

          > I have Edmond Davenport and Lydia Rollins Davenport as
          > parents. I noted in the census that a Lydia Davenport is shown.
          > Must be her mother.
          >
          > Here is note someone gave me about Edmond, but do not
          > know how true it is.
          >
          > NOTE: He moved to TN about 1810-1814. The earliest reference
          > I have to Edmond where he is mentioned by name is the
          > 1800 cenus of Pitt county, NC I have been unable to find him
          > listed in the 1810 census. He is listed in the 1820 census in
          > Wilson County, TN and again in the 1830 census in the same
          > county. He became a land owner in the 1820 in the Sanders Fork
          > area of Wilson County, TN. In 1835 he sold land in Wilson County
          > and moved to Warren County, TN. He is listed in the tax records
          > for Warren County in 1836. He is not listed in the 1840 census
          > but there are two old males in his son Reuben's household. He is
          > probably one of them. He is not listed in the 1850 census and likely
          > died before 1850.
        • cheryl rhoden
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 5, 2010
            Hi ,,, Could you resend that www ,, address for your website? It is broken up in your below.   My cousins and I have done a lot of research on the multitudes of John Moores in Pitt Co. I don't know if our research will help you or not ,, But, maybe it will help you with a process of elimination.
            best, cheryl o7o

            ________________________________
            Thanks for the information. I do believe that the John Moore in Pitt North Carolina is the same John Moore who founded Mooretown here in California during the gold rush.

            I would really like to find descendents who might have pictures or more information on him. I have some information posted on a website.
            It's www.historyoffeathe rfalls.webs. com

            --- In genpcncfir@yahoogro ups.com, "Bill Kittrell" <wbk99@...> wrote:

            > I have Edmond Davenport and Lydia Rollins Davenport as
            > parents. I noted in the census that a Lydia Davenport is shown.
            > Must be her mother.
            >
            > Here is note someone gave me about Edmond, but do not
            > know how true it is.
            >
            > NOTE: He moved to TN about 1810-1814. The earliest reference
            > I have to Edmond where he is mentioned by name is the
            > 1800 cenus of Pitt county, NC I have been unable to find him
            > listed in the 1810 census. He is listed in the 1820 census in
            > Wilson County, TN and again in the 1830 census in the same
            > county. He became a land owner in the 1820 in the Sanders Fork
            > area of Wilson County, TN. In 1835 he sold land in Wilson County
            > and moved to Warren County, TN. He is listed in the tax records
            > for Warren County in 1836. He is not listed in the 1840 census
            > but there are two old males in his son Reuben's household. He is
            > probably one of them. He is not listed in the 1850 census and likely
            > died before 1850.

          • wllm_slack
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 5, 2010
              The website is www history of feather falls dot webs dot com

              I will post some of what I have to the website here once I figure out how to.

              Or you can contact me directly at wlslack at hot mail