Land [what got cut off]

  • Martha-Gay Morton
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2010
      Not sure what happened to the rest of my post. I guess it went into cyber space. Who knows!!! Will try again.This is an abstract of an article in the May 90 NCGSJ pages 80-85 by James W. Miller, Jr. Plus some of my own suggestions.

      ".................After an entry had been made and no caveat attached to it, a warrant was issued by the proper authority to the County Surveyor authorizing him to "admeasure and lay out" the lands for the enterer as described. The surveyor would proceed to the area in question with his instruments and survey the land, giving a precise description of the land in "metes and bounds" or boundary lines. He would also draw a small plat of the survey including the scale he used, usually found in a given number of poles or chains to the inch. On the surveys researchers will often find the names of individuals who helped by dragging the survey chains and clearing vegetation. These names are often followed by the initials "C.B.", "C.C" or "C.C.B." [also S.C.C.] which are abrevations for the words
      chain bearer, chain carrier, or certified chain carrier [also sworn chain carrier] [**These are improtant names because they were usually relatives or neighbors of the grantee]
      Upon completion of the survey, the surveyor would send copies to the Secretary of State. When all fees were paid, the Secretary would then complete the final step in the process: recording and issuing the patnet to the grantee who had originally entered the land. The length of time to obtain a patent was normally a year after the date of entry, although it is not uncommon to find some grants were issued 2 to 4 years after being entered. The process from entry to deed or patent is called the "ripening of a deed". [This paragraph describes the land grant process under state jurisdiction. The process under the proprietary or royal systems would have differed somewhat, with earlier grants involving "headright" certificates or purchase-patent arrangements instead of land entries".........

      .................."our early settlers did not use the measure units of inches, feet or miles to which we are accustomed today. The majority of early deeds and grants were laid off in units of chains and/or poles. The measurements of length and area used included:
      1 chain=4 poles,rods or perches
      1 chain=66 feet
      1 chain=100 links
      10 chains=1 furlong
      80 chains=1 mile=5,280 feet
      1 pole, rod or perch=16 1/2 feet=25 links
      320 poles=1 mile
      4 poles=1 chain
      1 link=7.92 inches
      8 furlongs=1 mile
      1 square mile=640 acres
      1 acre=160 square poles, rod or perches=10 square chains=43,560 feet
      1 square pole, rod, or perch=272 1/4 squre feet
      1 square chain=4,356 square fet=16 square poles, rods or perches................."

      I have found that.most NC deeds are measured in poles. If you plat a tract or patent of land by the scale of aproximately 122 poles to an inch you can lay your plat on a USGS Quadrangle Map [which is the same scale] and see how much of an area your ancestors land covered and also where it was located.

      Pay particualr attention to: names of adjacent land owners, former land owners, "LINE of", "CORNER of", rivers, creeks, pecosins, marshes, canals, swamps, ponds, names of trees, groups of trees, dead trees, stumps, stakes, fields, meadows, mill seats, paths, roads, bridges, fences, etc. These will all hep you determine if the same land is in different deeds. Remeber the grantOR is the seller and the grantEE is the buyer.

      Doing a "land chain" or "title search" which I call "following the land" is especially helpful in burned counties and when dealing with several individuals with the same name in the same county that are about the same age.

      I hope this will all go through and that it will be helpful.

      Martha-Gay

    • cheryl rhoden
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2010
        Martha ,, It came thru perfect. Thank you, Cheryl o7o