Re: [genpcncfir] Cobb House in Falkland

  • Edith Cox
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
      There was an old house on Smith Street in Falkland owned by John H. Smith & Julia Belcher Smith (my great grandparents) which was torn down in the late 1970s. I'm told it was originally owned by James Lang Cobb, although volume 1 of the CHRONICLES OF PITT lists its owner as Collier Cobb. A check of land records at the courthouse should determine the earlier owner.
      Edith Cox

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
        Thank you Edith, but I don't know if this is the same house or not. I do know it was never torn down. Read the article that came from the Daily Southerner.

        http://tinyurl.com/ybmvtka

        Jo

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
          this is not the same house. Our ancestral home which was taken down thirty years ago, board by board. Much of the wood was used in the construction of a "new" home just north of Greenville.
          Edith

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
            Joe, if I am not mistaken, a "Cobb House" is a type of house.
            The link below will take you to a site with an article and a photo of a
            "Cobb House". Hopefully, this will be helpful to you.
            DeDe Wilson

            www.villagejournal.org.au/article_shell.php?p...

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 3, 2009
              Joe, there were houses that were built that were called "Cobb Houses". Perhaps the house in Falkland is one of those building types, instead of the house in question being owned by a family named Cobb. The link below will take you to a site that has an article and photos of "Cobb Houses".
              DeDe Wilson

              www.villagejournal.org.au/article_shell.php?p...

            • Margaret Phillips
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 3, 2009
                In the book Historic Architecture of Pitt Coounty on page 450 there is a picture of the Cobb House in Falkland that was built around 1930 but there is no information about which Cobb family lived there.  Perhaps the 1850 census of the town of Falkland might give some information.

                Margaret Phillips

                researching Tyson, Willoughby, Joyner, Cobb, etc. in Pitt County

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 3, 2009
                  Made a mistake~  The house was built in 1830!

                  Margaret