Re: [genpcncfir] House on 4th Street in Greenville

  • Trish Worthington Cobb
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 27, 2009
      Mae,
      I found the information by going to the city map and going down the
      street, trying various parcel numbers. I will e-mail it to you
      privately.
      Trish

      On Sep 27, 2009, at 6:43 AM, Mae wrote:

      > Does anyone have information on the ownership of the house at 1208 W
      > 4th Street, Greenville, NC or suggestions about how I can get this
      > information?
      >
      > This house was built and lived in by my grandparents, Dr. and Mrs.
      > James A. Battle. Dr. Battle (1885-1953) was one of the first African
      > American physicians to practice in Greenville. He was on the staff
      > at Pitt Memorial Hospital until his death. An unusual fact for that
      > time period in the South.
      >
      > The house was sold to Dr. Andrew Best, who also was African American
      > and on staff at Pitt Memorial Hospital. I understand that he passed
      > away in 2005. I had the opportunity to visit Greenville recently and
      > stopped by the house. It appears to be abandoned and in awful
      > condition.
      >
      > This house, and indeed the neighborhood, is significant to the
      > history of the African American professional class in Greenville at
      > the beginning of the 20th century and it would be a lost to the city
      > to allow it to further deteriorate.
      >
      > I live in Georgia and would appreciate assistance from someone
      > familiar with preservation projects in Pitt County.

    • Mae
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 28, 2009
        I am delighted and overwhelmed by the wonderful responses! I just
        stumbled across this group and gave it a shot not expecting much, if any
        feedback. Boy, was I surprised. Thank you all, so much for the
        suggestions and information. I'm on it. :-) I'll let you know the
        progress.

        Forever grateful.

        Mae

        --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Mae" <maeeloutome@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone have information on the ownership of the house at 1208 W
        4th Street, Greenville, NC or suggestions about how I can get this
        information?

        > This house was built and lived in by my grandparents, Dr. and Mrs.
        James A. Battle. Dr. Battle (1885-1953) was one of the first African
        American physicians to practice in Greenville. He was on the staff at
        Pitt Memorial Hospital until his death. An unusual fact for that time
        period in the South.

        > The house was sold to Dr. Andrew Best, who also was African American
        and on staff at Pitt Memorial Hospital. I understand that he passed away
        in 2005. I had the opportunity to visit Greenville recently and stopped
        by the house. It appears to be abandoned and in awful condition.

        > This house, and indeed the neighborhood, is significant to the history
        of the African American professional class in Greenville at the
        beginning of the 20th century and it would be a lost to the city to
        allow it to further deteriorate.

        > I live in Georgia and would appreciate assistance from someone
        familiar with preservation projects in Pitt County.

      • L D Smith
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 29, 2009
          Parcel
          001469

          Physical Address
          1208 W FOURTH ST

          OwnerName
          KEYES BOBBY CHRISTOPHER E

          OwnerAddress1
          1045 NORTHWOODS DR.

          OwnerAddress2

          OwnerAddress3

          City / State / Zip
          GREENVILLE NC 27834

          NC PIN
          4678921597

          Subdivision / Section / Phase

          Prior Legal Description
          RIVERDALE SD

          Block Lot
          C 10

          Tract

          Building Number / Unit

          Acres
          0.12

          Current Owner Deed/Document
          001693 00183

          Map Book
          MB2-36

          Deed/Document Date
          03/2004

          Deed/Document Sales Price
          $0

          Building Type / Use
          R6 SFR CONST(SFR)

          Number of Buildings
          1

          Year Built
          1917

          Heated Square Feet
          2983

          Building Value
          $21,957

          Extra Features Value
          $710

          Land Value
          $3,054

          Total Current Market Value
          $25,721

          Total 2007 Market Value
          $38,320

          Revaluation Year
          2008

          Municipality
          GREENVILLE

          Township
          GREENVILLE

          Fire Tax District
          GREENVILLE

          Census Tract
          7.02

          Neighborhood
          004131

          Elementary School
          WAHL-COATES ELEM

          Middle School
          E B AYCOCK MID

          High School
          J H ROSE HIGH

          To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com
          From: maeeloutome@...
          Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 21:06:41 +0000
          Subject: [genpcncfir] Re: House on 4th Street in Greenville

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 29, 2009
            i would advise you to contact the historic commission with the city of greenville. protections could be given to this property by making it a local historic landmark.

            To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com
            From: maeeloutome@...
            Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 21:06:41 +0000

            I am delighted and overwhelmed by the wonderful responses! I just
            stumbled across this group and gave it a shot not expecting much, if any
            feedback. Boy, was I surprised. Thank you all, so much for the
            suggestions and information. I'm on it. :-) I'll let you know the
            progress.

            Forever grateful.

            Mae

            --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Mae" <maeeloutome@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone have information on the ownership of the house at 1208 W
            4th Street, Greenville, NC or suggestions about how I can get this
            information?

            > This house was built and lived in by my grandparents, Dr. and Mrs.
            James A. Battle. Dr. Battle (1885-1953) was one of the first African
            American physicians to practice in Greenville. He was on the staff at
            Pitt Memorial Hospital until his death. An unusual fact for that time
            period in the South.

            > The house was sold to Dr. Andrew Best, who also was African American
            and on staff at Pitt Memorial Hospital. I understand that he passed away
            in 2005. I had the opportunity to visit Greenville recently and stopped
            by the house. It appears to be abandoned and in awful condition.

            > This house, and indeed the neighborhood, is significant to the history
            of the African American professional class in Greenville at the
            beginning of the 20th century and it would be a lost to the city to
            allow it to further deteriorate.

            > I live in Georgia and would appreciate assistance from someone
            familiar with preservation projects in Pitt County.

          • cheryl rhoden
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 29, 2009
              I noticed that they have the value at $32k. If you go to www.zillow.com and punch in the address it shows a value of $132k. But, the surrounding properties are more in the $40k and below range. I have discovered that zillow isn't always right. But banks do use them here for loan assessment.

              And, from the below it appears that the owner does not live there. Cheryl o7o

              ________________________________
              From: maeeloutome@...
              Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 21:06:41 +0000

              I am delighted and overwhelmed by the wonderful responses! I just
              stumbled across this group and gave it a shot not expecting much, if any
              feedback. Boy, was I surprised. Thank you all, so much for the
              suggestions and information. I'm on it. :-) I'll let you know the
              progress.

              Forever grateful.

              Mae

              --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Mae" <maeeloutome@...> wrote:

              > Does anyone have information on the ownership of the house at 1208 W
              4th Street, Greenville, NC or suggestions about how I can get this
              information?

              > This house was built and lived in by my grandparents, Dr. and Mrs.
              James A.. Battle. Dr. Battle (1885-1953) was one of the first African
              American physicians to practice in Greenville. He was on the staff at
              Pitt Memorial Hospital until his death. An unusual fact for that time
              period in the South.

              > The house was sold to Dr. Andrew Best, who also was African American
              and on staff at Pitt Memorial Hospital. I understand that he passed away
              in 2005. I had the opportunity to visit Greenville recently and stopped
              by the house. It appears to be abandoned and in awful condition.

              > This house, and indeed the neighborhood, is significant to the history
              of the African American professional class in Greenville at the
              beginning of the 20th century and it would be a lost to the city to
              allow it to further deteriorate.

              > I live in Georgia and would appreciate assistance from someone
              familiar with preservation projects in Pitt County.

              RePrint of 1982 Chronicles of Pitt Co Order Form:                        http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm

              Treasure-Trove of PITT Co.NC Genealogical Resources:  http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/

              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir%c2%a0
              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • L D Smith
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 29, 2009
                the home is in "a bad area" and i wouldnt expect it sell for the tax value or zillow value, but somewhere in between. the person who owns the property lives near me-- north of the river. he lives in a relatively new subdivision (developed farmland)....in a rural area.

                To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com
                From: rhodenccc@...
                Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 07:41:46 -0700

                From: maeeloutome@...
                Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 21:06:41 +0000

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 30, 2009
                  i "drove by" this house last night. it appears to be boarded up from the inside and vacant. it does show signs that it clearly was a wonderful home in it's day.

                  To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com