[genpcfr] James McAfee/McCoffee

  • svewers@uswest.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 1999
      I am searching for any reference to a James McCoffee (or McAfee) first mentioned in the 1790 Pitt Co. Federal Census. By 1800 he had married ???? and began a family in Pitt Co. His children, all born in Pitt Co. were:
      Arthur b 1800, James Jr b 1802, John b 1804, Jesse b 1806, Mary b 1811?,
      Eason b 1822. There may have been more. Arthur married (in Pitt Co.) Susannah May b 1805 in Pitt Co. The family began moving to Washington Co. Ga around 1825. The 1830 Wa. Co. census mentions James Sr. and Arthur. By 1840 all are mentioned in the Ga. census. I can not find these people mentioned in any Pitt Co. census other that the 1790 reference. They appear to be associated with the Hodges, Wood and May familys, the same surnames and given names of these familys mentioned in many Pitt Co census also began appearing in the Wa Co census. The 4 names also seem to have intermaried. They were associated with the Baptist Church in Ga, same may have been true in Pitt Co.
      Any known reference to a James McCoffee/McAfee, his marriage, wifes name in church records, birth records etc. or where else I might look would be greatly appreciated.
      James and his sons were Ga Milita members, are there any lists of Pitt Co. Milita members not mentioned on the net?
      Thank you very much for any light you may be able to shed,
      Sydney McAfee Ewers