Name

  • Martha-Gay Morton
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 7, 2009
      Hi,
      Happy Labor Day!
      Can anyone tell me about the female name APPY.
       Is it a nickname or just a shortened form of a name?
      Thanks. MGM

    • Trish Worthington Cobb
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7, 2009
        "Appy" or "Appie" is a nickname for Apsley.

        It seems to have been a fairly popular name with some of the families
        in the area where Greene, Pitt, Wilson and Edgecombe counties adjoin.

        A variation of Apsley was Absley. In that case the nickname would have
        been Abbie.

        Whether Apsley or Absley, I suspect the pronunciation was similar.

        Trish

        On Sep 7, 2009, at 6:33 AM, Martha-Gay Morton wrote:

        > Hi,
        > Happy Labor Day!
        > Can anyone tell me about the female name APPY.
        > Is it a nickname or just a shortened form of a name?
        > Thanks. MGM

      • cheryl rhoden
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 7, 2009
          Out here we call Apaloosa horses Appys. hah  I've never come across that name maybe it was Abby or short for Apalonia.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 7, 2009
            Cheryl,

            I have never seen the name Apalonia or Apolonia in these parts in the
            time frame we are researching (1700s and 1800s) though it is listed in
            one list of biblical names I found on the internet. I think it may be
            Greek or Italian (from Apollo) and not very many Greeks or Italians
            were here in this region of NC during that time.

            I cannot find either "Apsley" or "Absley" on any of the name lists on
            the internet as a given name, although it is found as a surname and a
            place name.

            At any rate, I can find a number of times the name "Apsley" or the
            more common usage "Absley" was used in this region of eastern NC. I
            have seen one other variation "Abasala" which may be feminine for
            Absalom. These are some of the names that I find fascinating. I
            wonder if it is an Irish name.

            Trish

            On Sep 7, 2009, at 9:42 AM, cheryl rhoden wrote:

            > Out here we call Apaloosa horses Appys. hah I've never come across
            > that name maybe it was Abby or short for Apalonia.
            >
            > ________________________________

          • cheryl rhoden
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 7, 2009
              Thanks Trish,  I've never come across Apalonia or Apsley or Appy in the lines I've been searching. I have come across a variety of Biblical names and names of Greek origin. I sure wish I was researching one of those instead of John Moore. hah  I'd even prefer Rumplestilskin.
              Hope everyone has a great Labor Day. cheryl o7o

              ________________________________
              I have never seen the name Apalonia or Apolonia in these parts in the
              time frame we are researching (1700s and 1800s) though it is listed in
              one list of biblical names I found on the internet. I think it may be
              Greek or Italian (from Apollo) and not very many Greeks or Italians
              were here in this region of NC during that time.

              I cannot find either "Apsley" or "Absley" on any of the name lists on
              the internet as a given name, although it is found as a surname and a
              place name.

              At any rate, I can find a number of times the name "Apsley" or the
              more common usage "Absley" was used in this region of eastern NC. I
              have seen one other variation "Abasala" which may be feminine for
              Absalom. These are some of the names that I find fascinating. I
              wonder if it is an Irish name.

              Trish

              On Sep 7, 2009, at 9:42 AM, cheryl rhoden wrote:

              > Out here we call Apaloosa horses Appys. hah I've never come across
              > that name maybe it was Abby or short for Apalonia.

            • Martha-Gay Morton
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 7, 2009
                Cheryl & Trish,
                Thanks for your quick reply. I have never seen these names-just the Appy. There certainly were some interestig names used by our ancestors. On second thought they would probably say the same about us! LOL!
                MGM