John Moore (one of legions)

  • cheryl rhoden
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 19, 2009
      Fellow Researchers, As I have posted previously, we have been working on sorting out which John Moore was the father of Caleb Moore (b 1760, Pitt Co.)  The below is a bit lengthy (ok, more than a bit) but I thought I would post the status of our research to date for any comments. In particular, if you're also researching the same lines let us know your thoughts. Sorting out the John Moores is worse than looking for a needle in a haystack, you also have to eliminate haystacks in the process. I must give tremendous credit to my cousin Denise for putting this summary e-mail together and doing the bulk of the backup research.

      The "Bible" referred to below is a transcription from the  family Bible of John Moore son of Caleb Moore. That transcription stated John Moore, my grandfather, died 1815 age 60. I can only think an error was made in the transcription as the dates don't work. The bible itself was destroyed in a house fire.

      As you can see, this is a work in progress. So, any and all thoughts are appreciated. You won't hurt our feelings.

      And, now the below is the summary of our research project on this particular GX Grandfather. thanks, Cheryl Rhoden o7o

      From the beginning!

      According to the bible record John Moore was the father of Caleb and died in 1815.

      According to the book "Friends of Edgecombe County the John Moore who died in 1815 was the brother of Moses Moore!

      According to the Oct 4 1822 document initiated by Unity "found in the 1820 census as a widow in Wayne County"  Caleb's heirs placed a claim on the estate of John Moore which was in the hands of Moses Moore.  This Moses could be a brother as reflected above or a son Either was a common practice but as you will see later Moses died prior to John..

      The only clear picture we have of Caleb is in the 1790 Census.  Caleb is living near Moses, Edmund, and Reading,  and Jacob Moore. 23 Households away is another grouping of Moore's of which I believe to be the elders.  They are Henry, Thomas, John, Sarah, and Nathan Nobles.  I believe our John Moore is the Moore living next to Nathan because of deed involvement mentioned below.

      1790 Census in Part
      Skip 61 Households
      MOORE, HENRY ............. 2  -  4  -  4
      PORTER, GEORGE ............ 3  -  1  -  4
      MOORE, THOMAS ............ 1  -  2  -  1
      MOORE, EDWARD ............ 3  -  3  -  -
      NOBLES, NATHANIEL ......... 2  3  7  -  1
      MOORE, JOHN .............. 1  -  4  -  -
      HYSMITH, JOHN ............ 1  -  4  -  -
      BARNHILL, HENRY ........... 3  -  1  -  - Father to Isabella
      BOWERS, BENJAMIN, SR. .... 1  -  1  -  10
      MOORE, SARAH ............. 2  2  2  -  -
      Skip 23 Households
      MOORE, CALEB ............. 1  1  3  -  -
      MOORE, MOSES ............. 1  2  3  -  -
      BULLOCK, EDWARD ........... 1  -  1  -  -
      MOORE, EDMOND ............ 1  -  1  -  1
      MOORE, READING ........... 1  1  2  -  -
      ROYE, DARLING ............. 1  -  2  -  -
      COLLINS, JOSIAH .......... 1  -  2  -  -
      HARVEY, JOSHUA ........... 1  2  2  -  -
      HARVEY, JOHN ............. 1  2  2  -  -
      BOWERS, WILLIAM .......... 1  2  4  -  4
      MOORE, JACOB ............. 1  -  1  -  -
      Skip 273 Households

      On October 12 1782 Caleb and Nathan were chain bearers for Moses (probably brother to John).  On the same day Caleb and Moses were chain Bearers for Nathan Nobles Mentioning Edward Moore.  So you see Edward and Nathan together and Moses and Caleb together mentioning Edward. I believe this is probably Moses Jr.

      Caleb Moore Deeds

      ·  21 Oct 1782 | [grant] => Moses Moore | 100 A. CB: Nathan Nobles, Caleb Moore. Men.: John Page | Pitt Bk.G-173
      ·  21 Oct 1782 | [grant] => Nathaniel Nobles | 100 A. CB: Moses Moor, Caleb Moor. Men.: Edward Moor | Pitt Bk.G-336
      On Oct 13 1783 Edmund and Reading (who were living next to Caleb) were chain bearers for Edward just as Edward was mentionened when Caleb was a chain bearer.

      On 5 Aug 1795 Reading Moore and Simon Nobles witt land transfer from Nathan Nobles to Edward Moore!

      So going back to the 1790 Census we have the young Moore's grouped together.  And
      Jacob is the son of Jacob
      Edmund is the son of Thomas
      Reading is the son of Edward
      Moses is the son of Moses
      Caleb is the son of John!

      Going to the Elder Moore grouping

      *Henry is the son of Jacob

      *Thomas Moore is said to be the son of William so brother of John and Jacob Moses if he is the brother of John.
      * Dec 1784 | Abel Moore => Wm. Moore, Jr. | 80 A; £50. Former owners: Wm. Moore;Thomas Moore,his son. Wit.: Frederick Gurley, James Moore, Joseph Page | Pitt Bk.L-16
      *John Moore is said to be the son of William so brother to Jacob and Thomas and Moses. Caleb named a son John and a son William which could follow naming patterns.

      *Sarah Moore is also within the group!  My guess she is a widow tied to another of our Moore's

      Jacob had a son Edward but a Edward arrived with him in Beaufort.  Best guess Edward was his brother and he named a son after him.  Edward is involved as is Jacob with all land deeds.

      The only other Moses Moore living in the county is also found near a Jacob in the 1790 Census.

      458b Moore Moses          2 1 6 10 (Believe this to be Moses Sr.
      458b Newman James     1 - 2 2  (Moses Sr Son In Law)
      458b Moore Jacob          1 1 1

      Using the above Anchor of Jacob to Moses to James Newman this could be the Moses that belongs to our family reflected in the below deed. And as we recall the heirs of Caleb did make a claim on a Chloe Moore.  I have not yet proven if Chloe was a Male or Female.  It appears the name was used either way.   Others have Moses married to Nancy Cox as Sr.  I believe that Moses married to Nancy may have been a junior because according to his pension statement that Moses was not born until Nov 29, 1762.  So probably the young Moses living next to Caleb in 1790. But this deed would reflect our Moses.

      Jacob Moore, James & Sarah Newman, William & Catey Boyd, Moses Moore, Aliss Moore, Elizabeth Moore, Chloe Moore, Lydia Moore, David Moore Henry Moore R-173; 3-23-1807; Henry Smith, William Smith 150A; Grantors are heirs of Moses Moore, dec.

      All of the names are tied together in the below deeds.  Jacob, Thomas, Edward, John and William.  Nathan Womwell must be married to one of Jacobs Daughters as he once lived in the household   Nathan Nobles has a brother Issac who married a Moore.  And Nathan was married once to an unknown wife who very well may have been a Moore.  Also we see later a Nathan Moore mixed in with this bunch guessing that he was named for Nathniel Nobles.   There are lots more deeds but I know I keep throwing them out and it is confusing so limiting to the ones that can help.
      * 16 Oct 1761 | Granville Bk.6 pg.84 => Thomas Hewell | 96 acres in Pitt County in the Parish of St Michael on the S side of Grindal Creek, joining William Norcott, Robert Flake, and the side of the sd creek |SCC: Jacob Moore,Thomas Moore|Wits: Alex Stewart, Wm Moore (who signed with a mark) | PT-4325
      * 7 Nov 1761 | Granville Bk.6 pg.82 => George Cannon | 246 acres in PittCountyon the N side of Grindall Creek, joining the CreekSwampor low ground | SCC: Thomas Moore,Edward Moore| Wits: Alex Stewart, Tho Noble | PT-4318
      *   21 Feb 1763 | John Highsmith => John More| 75 A; £5. Wit.: William Moore, Edward Moore, Major Harris | Pitt Bk.B-310
      * 26 Jun 1762 | Granville Bk.6 pg.85 => John Highsmith | 170 acres in Pitt County in the Parish of St Michael on the N side of Briery branch, joining Francis Pugh, the edge of a Pocoson, and the side of the sd branch | SCC: Nathan Womwell, John Moore| Wits: Alex Stewart, John Moore(who signed with a mark) | PT-4326 *Nathan Womwell was in the house of Jacob Moore in earlier census.
      * 30 Jan 1764 | Moses Moor => George Cannon | 300 A; £50. Former owner: Jacob Moor (Pat. 1739). Wit.: Zachariah Pinkett | Pitt Bk.C-38
      *
      Also I want to add the tie to the DNA test with Jesse and Marilyn's brother.  John Moore was living two doors away from Henry Barnhill the father of Isabella Barnhill who married James Spencer Moore of which John Henry Moore (DNA Match) was found living with in 1850.  And the heirs of Caleb sold their land inheritance to this same James Spencer Moore.  James Spencer Moore is said to be the son of James but I have not found that to be proven yet.  However James S was born about 1806.  I did find one James Moore in the 1810 Census with only one child and it was a son under 10.  And this James was living near Shadrack Nobles, Benjamin Moore, Cason Moore, and Edmond Moore.  And in 1840 James Spencer Moore is living next to  Reading, Edmund, Cason,  and a James S Moore!  Same people so my best guess is this.  James Spencer is the son of James  and Lydia Moore.  They separated and Lydia remained with her only son until her death.    John Henry
      was born before James Marriage to Isabella Barnhill. We can not prove he is the son of James S but I would believe he is either a son from previous marriage as he was older then Isabella or he was a nephew.  This puzzle needs to be worked out but we know that the DNA matches and even though the DNA can be matched over a very long time period we have them both placed with the same family just a few generations off adding cement to both claims.  I will continue researching this.

      I recognize that we are still at the starting line.  I have tons of notes and wills etc. that could help with identifying and I will continue with that project. I believe this is our family.  Also remember that there was a John Moore of the Samuel, Mathias, James, Maurice Moore Family that I eliminated.  That John Married a Tyson and moved away.

      Please don't hesitate to ask questions or point out concerns.  That will help us to make sure we are on the right track.  We appear to have all the players just need to connect the Dots!

    • rh_forbes
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 20, 2009
        Cheryl - First, let me congratulate you on the detailed and thorough research you've been conducting on your Moore ancestors! Not many posts on the list contain such a wealth of info, so thanks for that!

        Second, I can share with you by private email the info I have on old Jacob Moore (b.~1681, d.~1751) who married Alice Jones and acquired at least two land grants in Beaufort County in 1738-39. This couple produced several of the Moore folks you named below. One of their sons was Henry Moore (~1745~1829) who produced a daughter Judith Moore, who was my 3-gr-grmother by marriage to my 3-gr-grandfather Arthur Forbes.

        So send me an email to bforbes@..., and I'll send you my genealogy report. I don't want to post it group-wide because not all of the info in it is proven and I don't want to be accused of posting erroneous info... too much of that going around already!

        Best,

        Bob Forbes
        bforbes@...

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 22, 2009
          Dear Bob,
               Would you mind also sending to me a copy of your work on your Forbes line? Like you and Cheryl, I have information that I have verified and that which I have not gotten around to piecing together. Among these are my Forbes and Moore lines and Braxton, McGowan, and Nichols lines.
               I will be very happy to share any of my information with you and with any members interested in any of these families. In the interests of accuracy, I will identify my sources.
               Further, some McGowan information that I have gathered over more than a decade and that I could not make sense of has finally become crystal clear.
               Good to hear from you. Later, Carol

          Cheryl - First, let me congratulate you on the detailed and thorough research you've been conducting on your Moore ancestors! Not many posts on the list contain such a wealth of info, so thanks for that!

          Second, I can share with you by private email the info I have on old Jacob Moore (b.~1681, d.~1751) who married Alice Jones and acquired at least two land grants in Beaufort County in 1738-39. This couple produced several of the Moore folks you named below. One of their sons was Henry Moore (~1745~1829) who produced a daughter Judith Moore, who was my 3-gr-grmother by marriage to my 3-gr-grandfather Arthur Forbes.

          So send me an email to bforbes@carolina. rr.com, and I'll send you my genealogy report. I don't want to post it group-wide because not all of the info in it is proven and I don't want to be accused of posting erroneous info... too much of that going around already!

          Best,

          Bob Forbes
          bforbes@carolina. rr.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 22, 2009
            Dear Cheryl,
                 Caleb Moore is also in my line. In fact, I have Moores in more than one family. My great, great grandmother was Perlina Moore, daughter of Martin Moore and Cynthia Hatton.
            Perlina Moore married Lemuel McGowan, Sr., the son of William Williams McGowan whose wife was Martha Ann Moore.
                 I believe that her father was George Asa Moore. He left property to William Kinsey McGowan, my great uncle and great grandfather, as well as to his brother Mumford McGowan.
                 I would appreciate your sharing any information you might have on my Moore families. I will also share with you whatever I have that you might be interested in. Like Bob Forbes, I congratulate you on your research and thank you for sharing.
                Later, Carol

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 22, 2009
              Carol, Thank you for the compliment I will pass it on to my cousin Denise. I'd be happy to share info with you and once we've cracked this nut I will post our findings here for the group as well. I am a double descendant from Caleb. Elizabeth Moore Raulerson m William Raulerson and her brother John Moore m Nancy O'Steen were my 4thG Grandparents. My cousin Denise, who did the bulk of the research I posted descends from John Moore and Nancy O'Steen Moore. Caleb was the father of Elizabeth and John.

              I have a photo of the monument in Ga. that honors the RS from Wayne Co. Ga. That is where Caleb died. He is listed on the monument. I can send you a copy if you don't have it. (Course, I'll have to find it first.)

              I so appreciate hearing from the members of this group. My thanks to all of you that have contacted me.
              best regards, Cheryl Rhoden