Richard Bayner, Jr.

  • Bill Kittrell
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 17, 2009
      I thought I would check the deed books I have for Baynard.
      I found Richard Bayner, Jr., but it did not refer to land.

      Richard was selling a slave to Nathaniel Pettit according to
      Pitt County, NC Deed Book BB 36 Mar 26, 1819. Richard
      was from Beaufort County, NC

      Others have mentioned Briery Creek, Barber's Creek and
      Baldwin's Creek.

      Concerning Barber's Creek. ECU was doing a dig at this
      location looking for Indian habitation. They found an old
      grave site that was not Indian. No tombstones. The Barber
      family had purchased land from the Moyes in this area in
      the late 1700s. Possibly a Barber burial site.
    • cheryl rhoden
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 18, 2009
        Bill,  From what I have found in the last day I am now guessng it was Briery Branch (also spelled Briary) which is off of Grindles Creek I believe. I got that tip from another member of our group here. And, the google link has Moores all of over it. I found Kammerer's 'Pitt Deed Notes' off that google. I'm up to about  entry 1000 of somewhere over 3000 (my index finger got tired, hah). Within it I have references to a good number of 'likely suspects' for our search.

        Would you or anyone know if the books before HH are online anywhere? Or, available at the Archives? These books start in the mid-1830s. I would love to find the books for circa 1815 and earlier.

        I'd also like to see if there was a death notice in 1815 for a John Moore. That is the family bible dod for him. I do have the list of newspapers that were published in NC in that era and believe most of them are at the Joyner but I haven't found them online. The only grave for a John Moore dod 1815 we have found is in Durham/Chapel Hill area in or adjacent to a school parking lot and in great disrepair.

        This is a wonderful group of researchers. best, Cheryl o7o