Re: Bayard Branch

  • acstokes1755
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 16, 2009
      --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, cheryl rhoden <rhodenccc@...> wrote:

      > Hello all, Does anyone know what "Bayard Branch" refers to? I'm assuming it may be a river or creek 'branch.' I'm hoping it doesn't refer to the branch of a tree which so many surveys seemed to reference. This would be in Pitt Co ,, likely somewhere along the Tar River, near Grindle's Creek or possibly further SW.
      > Appreciate any hints. Thanks, Cheryl Rhoden

      A "branch" in this case is a small creek or where a creek branches into smaller tributaries. I'm from Pitt County and very familiar with creeks of the Tar and Pamlico Rivers, but I've never heard of Bayard Branch. I'll look on a topographic map and see if I can locate it. If I do, I'll let you know.

      Fred
    • cheryl rhoden
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 16, 2009
        Fred,  Thanks ,, this property was recorded sold in 1798 by Caleb Moore to Jesse Barnhill ,, described as 70 acres along Bayard Branch  in Pitt by  Huxford. The deed was recorded in 1799 and, according to Huxford, witnessed by his brothers Moses and Cason Moore. We have found references of them around the Tar River and Grindle's Creek ,, so I'm thinking this is in the vicinity. Appreciate any help you or anyone can offer.

        Cheryl Rhoden o7o

        ________________________________
        > Hello all, Does anyone know what "Bayard Branch" refers to? I'm assuming it may be a river or creek 'branch.' I'm hoping it doesn't refer to the branch of a tree which so many surveys seemed to reference. This would be in Pitt Co ,, likely somewhere along the Tar River, near Grindle's Creek or possibly further SW.
        > Appreciate any hints. Thanks, Cheryl Rhoden

        A "branch" in this case is a small creek or where a creek branches into smaller tributaries. I'm from Pitt County and very familiar with creeks of the Tar and Pamlico Rivers, but I've never heard of Bayard Branch. I'll look on a topographic map and see if I can locate it. If I do, I'll let you know.

        Fred

      • DAVID SMITH
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 16, 2009
          cheryl,
          I have never heard of bayard creek either and have had no luck in finding it....any other points of reference in the deed?

          > Hello all, Does anyone know what "Bayard Branch" refers to? I'm assuming it may be a river or creek 'branch.' I'm hoping it doesn't refer to the branch of a tree which so many surveys seemed to reference. This would be in Pitt Co ,, likely somewhere along the Tar River, near Grindle's Creek or possibly further SW.
          > Appreciate any hints. Thanks, Cheryl Rhoden

          A "branch" in this case is a small creek or where a creek branches into smaller tributaries. I'm from Pitt County and very familiar with creeks of the Tar and Pamlico Rivers, but I've never heard of Bayard Branch. I'll look on a topographic map and see if I can locate it. If I do, I'll let you know.

          Fred

        • Julian Byrd
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 16, 2009
            It's not listed in the NC Gazetteer.

            Julian

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 16, 2009
              The only reference we have to this property on Bayard Branch is from "Huxford Journal June 1996

              "Caleb Moore was born in Pitt County, North Carolina (Beaufort Co.) in 1760."  ....

              I'm omitting other info ,, then:   "... On October 2, 1798 Caleb sold his farm located along Bayard Branch in Pitt County consisting of seventy acres to Jesse Barnhill for thirty-seven punds (Note: likely  pounds), ten shillings. Deed transfering ownership was signed by Caleb with an 'x'. witnessed by Moses and Cason Moore and was was recorded in Pitt County  July Court Term 1799. ..."

              Now, we have tracked a gaggle of likely Moore suspects to the Tar River/Grindle's Creek area ,, and found another reference today to "a John Moore" as adjacent owner on the Pimlico in Beaufort pre 1760 in a location that seems nearby. So, we are workng on closing our circles and eliminating various 'John Moores.' That is not an easy task.

              We may need to put this property transfer on our "list for the visit to the archives in Raliegh."

              Thanks for all help, best, cheryl rhoden o7o

              ________________________________
              I have never heard of bayard creek either and have had no luck in finding it....any other points of reference in the deed?

              > Hello all, Does anyone know what "Bayard Branch" refers to? I'm assuming it may be a river or creek 'branch.' I'm hoping it doesn't refer to the branch of a tree which so many surveys seemed to reference. This would be in Pitt Co ,, likely somewhere along the Tar River, near Grindle's Creek or possibly further SW.
              > Appreciate any hints. Thanks, Cheryl Rhoden

              A "branch" in this case is a small creek or where a creek branches into smaller tributaries. I'm from Pitt County and very familiar with creeks of the Tar and Pamlico Rivers, but I've never heard of Bayard Branch. I'll look on a topographic map and see if I can locate it. If I do, I'll let you know.

              Fred

            • Margaret Lindsey Smith
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 17, 2009
                I tried the Geographic Names Information System at http://geonames.usgs.gov/, entering several variants of the name, and still didn't find it.
                This is a great resource, which will find even names that are no longer in use, for towns, streams, hills, swamps, and many other geographical features.
                When you go to the site, click on Search Domestic Names (in the upper right corner), then fill in as much as you know: state, county (if known), feature type, etc., all from "drop down" lists.
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 17, 2009
                  http://www.northcarolinahistory.org/encyclopedia/117/entry
                  Look at this interesting court case involving Bayard property.

                   Paula Baker

                  Thomas Mann

                  ________________________________
                  This is a great resource, which will find even names that are no longer in use, for towns, streams, hills, swamps, and many other geographical features.
                  When you go to the site, click on Search Domestic Names (in the upper right corner), then fill in as much as you know: state, county (if known), feature type, etc., all from "drop down" lists.

                • kmneth57
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 17, 2009
                    Cheryl,
                    If I had to guess, maybe it was Baynor's Branch or a mis-spelling/mis-pronunciation of that. That is a common Beaufort County name. You might refer your post to Beaufort Co. Genealogy folks.

                    Karen Nethercutt
                  • L D Smith
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 17, 2009
                      id bet money this was difficult to read and transcribed incorrectly. names of bodies of water starting with B in the area:

                      Baldwin Swamp
                      980486
                      Swamp
                      Pitt
                      353724N
                      0771741W
                      NC
                      Greenville SE
                      4
                      13
                      -
                      17-JUN-1980

                      Barber Creek
                      980541
                      Stream
                      Pitt
                      353602N
                      0771807W
                      NC
                      Greenville SE
                      4
                      13
                      -
                      17-JUN-1980

                      Barber Landing
                      1018959
                      Locale
                      Pitt
                      353602N
                      0771756W
                      NC
                      Greenville SE
                      2
                      7
                      -
                      17-JUN-1980

                      Bates Brunch
                      1001039
                      Stream
                      Pitt
                      353334N
                      0771531W
                      NC
                      Greenville SE
                      7
                      23
                      -
                      01-OCT-1990

                      Bear Creek
                      1023808
                      Stream
                      Beaufort
                      353305N
                      0770604W
                      NC
                      Washington
                      0
                      0
                      -
                      17-JUN-1980

                      Bell Branch
                      1024667
                      Stream
                      Pitt
                      353520N
                      0771945W
                      NC
                      Greenville SE
                      5
                      16
                      -
                      27-DEC-1994

                      To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com

                      I have never heard of bayard creek either and have had no luck in finding it....any other points of reference in the deed?

                      > Hello all, Does anyone know what "Bayard Branch" refers to? I'm assuming it may be a river or creek 'branch.' I'm hoping it doesn't refer to the branch of a tree which so many surveys seemed to reference. This would be in Pitt Co ,, likely somewhere along the Tar River, near Grindle's Creek or possibly further SW.
                      > Appreciate any hints. Thanks, Cheryl Rhoden

                      A "branch" in this case is a small creek or where a creek branches into smaller tributaries. I'm from Pitt County and very familiar with creeks of the Tar and Pamlico Rivers, but I've never heard of Bayard Branch. I'll look on a topographic map and see if I can locate it. If I do, I'll let you know.

                      Fred

                    • Jim M.
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 17, 2009
                        There is a movement afoot to change the name of North Carolina's Lumber River (Pee Dee in S.C.) to Lumbee, in honor of that tribe. I do not appose the name change; I do question the accuracy behind how the AP and/or N.C. Gen. Assb. says the Lumber River was named. Implied is it was just some lumber businesses, I think they indicated in the c1830's or some such? My ancestor, Capt. John James (Society of the Cincinnati, but I'm only in the SAR and not on him), was killed age 16 by Tories whilst crossing the Lumber River, per a very old entry in the family Bible printed in 1714 and 1715. The N.C. State Archives Rev. War cancelled (two holes) final pay voucher has an unusuall note on the obverse which I think also said killed by Tories whilst crossing the Lumber River. Thus predating the lumber companies version; and what do they claim the name was pre-lumber companies? Widow Mrs. Martha Pugh James (sister of Ens. Whitmel Pugh?) wed Ephrain Sholar, and some of my James kin descend both husbands (via Sholar-Tillinghast). I think her parents were James Pugh Sr. and Mrs. Mary Whitmel Pugh of now eastern Cumberland Co., N.C., from Halifax Co. (Sholars from Halifax also). Her father might have been Col. Thomas Whitmel and his Lt.Col. Francis Pugh, Sr.? Francis Pugh, Jr., had an adjoing land grant on or near the Cape Fear River in now eastern Cumberland Co. My Wilmington ancestor ran the Bradley & Sharpless Inn (from Chester, Penn.) at Choefington, in the same area. John and Partha Pugh James had Wilmington War of 1812, artillery 4th Sgt. Joshua James, Sr., who wed Hetty-Bella Sage, the daughter of Robert and Sarah Sage, Sr., at who's inn Pres. Washington stopped on his Southern Tour. Washington recorded it as "indifferent" and did not record meeting his little namesake, George Washington Sage. Robert and Sarah ran the Wilmington to New Bern stage line and were wed in New Bern. A register of deeds entry records a pass for an unaccompanied slave to go back on the stage to fetch a forgotten documemt. I suspect Sarah (Waring?) was the widow of a Col. James Moore who owned adjoining land on Beasley's Creek (earlier called Bay Tree Creek). Mrs. Hettey-Bella Sage James (she died Richlands, and Josh' died Lexington, both in Holmes Co., Miss. (not to beconfused with Richlands, N.C.). They had my LtCol Robert Wm. James born Wilmington 1811, died Biloxi 1882, LtCol 1850's Holmes Co. militia (1st Ann Maria Ambrose of Onslow Co., niece of Ann Maria Ward, no issue)(2nd Jane Ann Nixon of New Orleans and Biloxi, my line via son Capt. Harry Copp James, harbormaster), Robert was civilian master of the army transport 'Gen. Hamer" out of New Orleans in the Mexican War. Sister Sarah Julia James wed Kenansville, N.C., merchant Andrew McIntire. Brother John Sage James published a Wilmington newspaper; I think it was his (Tillinghast?) wife who descended Sholar. Sage may have also been a paymaster on the Wilmington & Weldon Rail Road with his own paymaster's car? Joshua James, Jr., when he lived below Natchez; Jeff Davis would have his slaves row across the Missisippi River to have Josh' Jr. as a dinner guest (buried N.O.). Josh' later owned 'Ione' Plantation, Tensus Parish, La. Two of his four sons were Louisiana CSA cavalryman. My Harry Copp James, age 16, was in Capt. Hall's New Orleans Zouve Fire Brigade Militia. Josh wed a prominent Natchez widow who had eastern Tar Heel roots.

                        To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com
                        From: mlsmith67@...
                        Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 13:38:04 +0000

                        I tried the Geographic Names Information System at http://geonames.usgs.gov/, entering several variants of the name, and still didn't find it.

                        This is a great resource, which will find even names that are no longer in use, for towns, streams, hills, swamps, and many other geographical features.

                        When you go to the site, click on Search Domestic Names (in the upper right corner), then fill in as much as you know: state, county (if known), feature type, etc., all from "drop down" lists.

                      • rhodenccc
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 17, 2009
                          The update:

                          The Bayard family members were definitely distinguished early colonials. And there were definitely Bayards in NC so I'm guessing at this point that Bayard Branch was named for the family property. More work to do on this. I'll keep you all posted when I find something definitive. best cheryl o70--- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "kmneth57" <kmneth57@...> wrote:

                          > Cheryl,
                          > If I had to guess, maybe it was Baynor's Branch or a mis-spelling/mis-pronunciation of that. That is a common Beaufort County name. You might refer your post to Beaufort Co. Genealogy folks.
                          >
                          > Karen Nethercutt

                        • DAVID SMITH
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 17, 2009
                            i believe you will find that the land jesse barnhill purchased was along BRIERY branch...a branch near grindle creek...near stokes.....there is no other record of a "bayard branch" in pitt or beaufort county and it would not make sense for the name not to show up in some other documents.