RE: [genpcncfir] Tar River and Grindal's Creek

  • Jim M.
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 14, 2009
      While don't know this for sure; this is my speculation. up to the 1850's, where Shade Wooten lived, was called Johnson's Mills to the post office. Don't think of romantic visions of big watermills and dams, but of millstones only three or four feet across. Think of a long, narrow, not too deep canal (ditch) to/from the river from low areas to high ground. The Johnson's Mill's canal may have been dug by Blackledge? Thirty years ago in the basement of the Pitt register of deeds vault, I met a lawyer who ever heard me tell the register of deeds I wanted to look in a perhaps ten miles longs by one or two miles wide strip of Pitt Co. that remain in Craven Co. for a decade or two after Pitt was founded, and then added to Pitt. The lawyer said he did not know that. That he had attempted to settle a contemporary boundryline dispute based on historical legal records, but could not find the records in Pitt Co. I said because they were, and still are, in Craven. He'd settled it by mutual agreement. Every N.C. register of deeds vault should have a copy of N.C. state archives book, the legal histories (geographically) of the counties. That's where I learned it. If the Pitt vault does not have it; there's a project for the Pitt genealogy or historical society and perhaps a newspaper squib about the donation.

      To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com
      From: carolinaguyesq@...
      Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 13:01:02 -0700
      Subject: Re: [genpcncfir] Tar River and Grindal's Creek

      im going to try to send you a link to the google map. it's on the north side of the tar river in eastern pitt county very near to beaufort. i cross over grindle creek every day on the way to work.

      http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?address=3405%20Yankee%20Hall%20Road&city=Greenville&state=NC&zipcode=27834&country=US&cid=lfmaplink

      as you can see if you change the map to aerial, there is nothing there now as far as buildings go....where grindle meets the tar....and most of the land east of grindle up to grimesland bridge road is either old swamp or is man made lakes. if you are looking for moore's that settled on grindle you may be looking for the family that settle further up on grindle....on "old creek road" grindle is a very long body of water. thanks!

      From: cheryl rhoden <rhodenccc@...>

      To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 3:48 PM

      David, thanks ,,, please keep in mind that I am in Southern California ,,, although before this search is over I am positive I will know the creeks and rivers of NC better than I do those in Ca. Where would I find 'pactolus/yankee hall' ?? This is fun. It is also annoying ,, but in a fun way. Trust you fellow researchers know what I mean. all best,, cheryl o7o

      ____________ _________ _________ __

      From: cheryl rhoden <rhodenccc@yahoo. com>

      To: genpcncfir@yahoogro ups.com

      Date: Monday, July 13, 2009, 6:34 PM

      Faye, When you say you were "surprised at how far down the line came into NC..." did you mean the boundary change between Va and Nc? Thanks for the tip on latitude and longitude. From what I read the1728 survey was along the VA/NC border and 15 miles due north and south became NC. We're trying to get a handle on that so we know whether we need to start to also look back into VA records.

      I appreciate all the comments from everyone. best, cheryl rhoden o7o

      ____________ _________ _________ __

      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 14, 2009
        Daviid  ,, Thank you!! This was a great link. I cannot believe that it still looks like nothing is there. I tried to zoom in and I still didn't see a house or any outbuildings. Why is that?

        The deed info we have is on the North side of the Tar River and  Grindle's Creek. Course ,, we have a lot of other deed info for Moores and we're trying to sort that out.

        And, what really amazes me is that the various properties other ancestors lived on in GA/FL are still just as rural as they likely were all those years ago. And, half or more of us in our cousin research group also live in very rural areas. Must be in the blood. Thanks again for that link. All best,
        Cheryl Rhoden o7o

        ________________________________
> [...]

        The North Carolina Gazetteer by William S. Powell

        and

        The Formation of the North Carolina Counties by David Leroy Corbitt.

        Also, if you can find one, DeLorme's North Carolina Gazetteer has very
        detailed maps with the waterways and poquosins on them.

        Trish Worthington Cobb

        On Jul 13, 2009, at 12:44 PM, cheryl rhoden wrote:

        > Good morning, I'm trying to figure out the location of the Tar River
        > and Grindal's Creek. I can find both on Internet maps but I can't
        > figure out where they may intersect. Any clues would be appreciated.
        > And, I'd love to figure out if that location was in Va prior to the
        > 1728 survey that changed the state boundary lines.
        >
        > We're still trying to sort out our John and Moses Moores. Thanks,
        > Cheryl Rhoden
        >
        > Researching: Moore/Rhoden/ Raulerson/ Johns/Music/ Dowling/Altman/

      • rhodenccc
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 18, 2009
          Jim,

          I was searching the Pitt Deed Notes today and found references to William Murphy.

          I hope this link works:

          www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ncpcfr/pittdeednotes.htm