Re: [genpcncfir] The Lewis McGlohon (McLawhorn) Family and Ancestry book

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 9, 2009
      Dear Richard,
           East Carolina University participates in interlibrary loan. Here at J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College in Richmond, Virginia, I went to our librarian and gave her the information on the books I wanted to borrow from East Carolina. She sent out a request. Before the end of the week, I had my books.
          You can access the library website from the Pitt County Family Researchers Web Site. It's the Joyner Library.
           The web site for the Pitt County Family Researchers is: http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr
           You would not believe the information this web site contains. I spent nearly 3 months just taking notes from the links and on-line information I was able to access. The site includes Pitt County Census records from the 1790's through 1850.
           There are also newspaper articles going back to the 1800's from the Eastern Reflector and the Daily Reflector in addition to land records and marriage records.
           I would appreciate your telling me more about your family. My great great grandfather on one side was Martin Moore; his daughter Perlina Moore was my great grandmother.
          On another side is my great great grandfather George Asa Moore. Our maternal line and paternal line (eventually) was McGowan.
           I look forward to hearing from you and would be very happy to share any information I have with you.
           Sincerely, Carol

      From: Marcia McLawhorn <marcia_mclawhorn@ yahoo.com>
      To: genpcncfir@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Thursday, June 4, 2009, 3:25 PM

      Richard,

      I do not know where you can buy the book, but I have a copy. It has 173 pages.

      I could share any info you'd wish to know.

      Are you part of the McLawhorn's that live in Charleston, SC and have a reunion in Ayden about the third week in June?

      Marcia

      Date: Tuesday, June 2, 2009, 12:26 PM

      The only copy of this book I can find online is in the East Carolina Library. I live in Columbia, SC but don't want to drive 4 hours and waste an entire weekend just to read the book in the library.

      Let me know if you have any information on where to acquire this book.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 9, 2009
        Dear Richard,
             I would also be happy to share McLawhorn information. McLawhorns and Worthingtons, my maternal line, with you.

            Later, Carol

        The only copy of this book I can find online is in the East Carolina Library. I live in Columbia, SC but don't want to drive 4 hours and waste an entire weekend just to read the book in the library.

        Let me know if you have any information on where to acquire this book.

      • cheryl rhoden
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 9, 2009
          Dear Carol,

          We are researching the Moore's in Pitt Co (previously Beaufort and likely part of Va before the border change). If its alright with you I'd like to send your below email to my cousins working on this part of our project. We're also happy to share info. What year was your George Moore born?

          Best, Cheryl Rhoden
          Researching: Moore/Rhoden/Raulerson/Johns/Music/Dowling/Davis/Altman and more

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 10, 2009

            http://www.sallysfamilyplace.com/Neighbors/harris2.htm

            Marcum Manning is not in my direct line.  However, I saw this and thought it might be worthwhile for some people.  Has Huggins/Manning info and others.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 15, 2009
              Dear Cheryl,
                   Please feel free to share my information with others. George Asa Moore must have been born between 1815 and 1830. I will go to census records and see if I can narrow it down further.
                  Back to you shortly, Carol

              ____________ _________ _________ __

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 15, 2009
                Carol,, Thanks so much. I'll pass your e on to my cousins working on this part of our 'brickwall.' best, cheryl o7o

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 16, 2009
                  Dear Cheryl,
                       I find that George Asa Moore's daughter Patsy Ann Moore who married my great uncle and great grandfather William Williams McGowan was born in the 1700's. It's his daughter who was born in the early 1800's.
                      George Asa Moore left legacies to two of his grandchildren, William Kinsey "Ken" McGowan and Mumford Booker McGowan.
                      Since his will stated that the brothers and sisters were to divide the legacy if either beneficiary did not survive, it may well be that he had already bestowed favors or goods upon the other siblings.
                      I will look back through my Genealogical Quarterlies and give you the issues in which this information appeared.
                      William Williams McGowan was the son of John McGowan. In his will, he lists his four sons as Lemuel McGowan (married Perline Moore, daughter of Martin Moore) who was father of my great grandmother Jacky Ann McGowan; Archibald McGowan (married Chloe Ann Galloway); George McGowan; and William Williams McGowan. The 1850 census shows Burton McGowan also in the household of John McGowan, so I am assuming that he predeceased his father.
                      Lemuel McGowan, Jr. (sister of Jacky Ann McGowan) married Lydia Ann McGowan, daughter of William Williams McGowan. As far as I can find out, they had no children or at least no surviving children.
                     Lemuel McGowan, Jr. widower married second, Martha Ann Harris, daughter of Henry Clay Harris if I recall correctly. They had one son, my cousin Dr. Claudius McGowan, who served in World War I. He married the daughter of the sheriff of Bath County and had two daughters. His wife died suddenly of an infection, leaving him deeply grieved that he had not been able to save her life.
                     Lemuel's sister Jacky Ann McGowan had a daughter, my grandmother, Jenny Secession McGowan. Her marriage record lists "Ken" McGowan as her father.
                     The statement of George Asa Moore in his bequest to William Kinsey McGowan, reads William G. McGowan, "known as Ken."
                     Based on these documents, I give William Williams McGowan as my great uncle and great grandfather.
                     Depending upon which side of the family I am looking at, Lemuel McGowan, Sr. was also my great uncle and great grandfather.
                     Martin Moore, father of Perlina Moore (married Lemuel McGowan, Sr.)  was married to Cynthia Hatton. Her parents were Robert Carney, Sr. and Cynthia Hatton. Their son Robert Carney, Jr. married Jenny McGowan, sibling of Lemuel Jr. and Jacky Ann McGowan and my great aunt and namesake of Jacky's daughter Jenny Secession McGowan.
                     Jacky Ann McGowan was buried in the Carney Family Burial Ground. I do not know where this is or was except that it was in the Pactolas area where the McGowans grew up and attended Reedy Branch Church. I would very much appreciate anyone's helping me locate the Carney Family Burial Ground as I would like to visit my great grandmother's grave.

                      Thanks so much, Carol

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 16, 2009
                    Carol, thank you for this. I will forward it to my cousins that are working on the 'sorting out the Moores' project. I do not think we have McGowan's in our line ,, but who knows?

                    As for where your great grandmother might be buried , would that have been in Pitt Co.? If so there is great fellow that I think might be part of this group that finished an enumeration of the Pitt gravesites ,, along with his wife ,, a few years ago. They have a book on all the sites. all best, cheryl o7o

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 20, 2009
                      Dear Cheryl,
                           Yes, the cemetery was in Pitt County. My great grandmother Jacky Ann McGowan was the sister of Jenny McGowan who married Robert Carney, Jr. His mother was Elizabeth Hatton.
                           Jacky Ann's father, Lemuel McGowan, Sr., married Perline Moore, daughter of Martin Moore and Cynthia Hatton. Elizabeth and Cynthia were sisters; their mother was also named Cynthia.
                           The 1850 census online gives the families of both Robert Hatton and Martin Moore.
                           I do not know if Martha Ann Moore, wife of William Williams McGowan, and sister of Churchille Moore, was also related to Perlina Moore.
                           William Williams McGowan was my great uncle and great grandfather. My great grandfather Lemuel McGowan, Sr. was his brother.
                           Lemuel McGowan, Jr. married Lydia McGowan, daughter of William Williams McGowan and Martha Ann Moore.
                           The McGowans were from the Pactolus area of Pitt.

                           Later, Carol