Re: [genpcncfir] Red Hill Cemetery - Grizzie Hardy Joyner (1878-1943) & Family (Greene County)

  • Trish Worthington Cobb
    Message 1 of 12 , May 3, 2009
      If you take highway highway 903 from Pitt County into Greene County,
      the cemetery will be on the right side of the road shortly after
      passing through the Scuffleton area. It is visible from the road, as
      it is located on the side of a hill. If you stop at the brick house
      just past the cemetery and ask for permission, they will probably
      allow you to go into the cemetery.

      Trish

      On May 3, 2009, at 7:55 AM, dldgreen_1 wrote:

      > Trying to contact William Cox regarding persons buried in this
      > cemetery. Email addressed I was given for Mr. Cox is no longer valid.
      >
      > I am looking for the location of Red Hill Cemetery in Greene County,
      > reportedly in the Ayden area. Would like to visit cemetery in hopes
      > of finding the graves listed below:
      >
      > Grizzie J. HARDY JOYNER (1878-1943)
      > Charles JOYNER (1878-1953), Grizzie's husband
      >
      > Their children:
      > Annie Lee JOYNER, died 1948
      > Maybell JOYNER, died 1973
      >
      > Others possibly buried there as well. My research connection
      > (hubby's maternal line) is through Grizzie, whose parents were Jack/
      > John HARDY (born ca 1855) and Alice MOYE HARDY JENKINS (1858-1934).
      > All were thought to have been born in Greene County, NC
      >
      > dldgreen@...

    • Bill Kittrell
      Message 2 of 12 , May 3, 2009
        I have forwarded your email to William.

        The cemetery is located on NC 102 in Greene County.
        Scuffleton is located on Contentnea Creek at the Pitt-
        Greene line. The cemetery is located about one half mile west
        of Scuffleton on the side of a hill. This is as you
        travel from Scuffleton toward Ormandsville and Snow Hill.

        Message 3 of 12 , May 3, 2009
          Just to clarify the directions, Bill is correct, also. Being from
          Winterville, I think in terms of 903.

          NC 102 from Ayden and NC 903 from Winterville merge just before
          crossing the Little Contentnea Creek and leaving Pitt County and the
          two numbers run together going into Greene.

          On May 3, 2009, at 10:58 AM, Bill Kittrell wrote:

          > I have forwarded your email to William.
          >
          > The cemetery is located on NC 102 in Greene County.
          > Scuffleton is located on Contentnea Creek at the Pitt-
          > Greene line. The cemetery is located about one half mile west
          > of Scuffleton on the side of a hill. This is as you
          > travel from Scuffleton toward Ormandsville and Snow Hill.

        • rootspuzzle
          Message 4 of 12 , May 3, 2009
            ----Death Certificates

            17269 pitt co. egroup
            I am looking for the location of Red Hill Cemetery in Greene County, reportedly in the Ayden area. Would like to visit cemetery in hopes of finding the graves
            listed below:

            Grizzie J. HARDY JOYNER (1878-1943)
            ----Name: Grizza Joyner
            [Grizza Handy] Gender: Female Race: Black Married
            Age: 66 Birth Date: May 1877 Birth Place: Green, North Carolina, United States Death Date: 14 Aug 1943 Death Location: Olds, Greene Spouse's name: Charlie Joyner Father's Name: Jack Handy Mother's Name: Aliee Moye RESIDENCE: Ayden, Green, North Carolina Burial: 8-17-43 Red Hill Cemetery

            Charles JOYNER (1878-1953), Grizzie's husband
            ----Name: Charlie Joyner Gender: Male Race: Black Age: 78 Birth Date: 27 Oct 1874 Birth Place: Greene, North Carolina, United States Death Date: 26 May 1953 Death Location: Ayden, Greene Father's Name: Jack Joyner Mother's Name: Lettuce King RESIDENCE: Ayden, Green, North Carolina Red hill cemetery

            Their children:
            Annie Lee JOYNER, died 1948
            ----North Carolina Death Certificates, 1909-1975 > Greene > 1948 > March
            Name: Annie Lee Joyner Gender: Female Race: Black Single
            Age: 44 Birth Date: 29 Jul 1903 Birth Place: Greene, North Carolina, United States Death Date: 6 Mar 1948 Death Location: Ormonds, Greene Father's Name: Charles Joyner Mother's Name: Gracie Hardy RESIDENCE: Ayden, Greene, North Carolina
            Burial: 3-10-48 Red? Hill cemetery in greene co.

            Maybell JOYNER, died 1973
            ----Name: Maybelle Joyner Gender: Male Race: Black Age: 61 Birth Date: 25 Dec 1911 Birth Place: North Carolina, United States Death Date: 21 Aug 1973 Death Location: Goldsboro, Wayne Father's Name: Charlie Joyner Mother's Name: Grizzie Hardy RESIDENCE: Ayden, Greene, North Carolina Burial: Ayden Cemetery rt.2 Ayden

            Others possibly buried there as well. My research connection (hubby's maternal line) is through Grizzie, whose parents were Jack/John HARDY (born ca 1855) and
            Alice MOYE HARDY JENKINS (1858-1934).
            ----Name: Alice Jenkins Gender: Female Race: Black Age: 72 Birth Date: abt 1862 Birth Place: Green Death Date: 5 Mar 1934 Death Location: Vanceboro, Craven Mother's Name: Greely Moore Burial: Willis Cr. Yd.

            All were thought to have been born in Greene County, NC

            ----Name: Eddie Hardy Gender: Male Race: Black Age: 54 Birth Date: abt 1882 Birth Place: Green Death Date: 8 Sep 1936 Death Location: Craven Spouse's name: Annie Hardy Father's Name: Jack Hardy Mother's Name: Alice Moye

            North Carolina Death Certificates, 1909-1975 > Craven > 1971 > February
            ----Name: Francis Hardy Jackson Gender: Female Race: Black Age: 80 Birth Date: 15 Jun 1890 Birth Place: North Carolina, United States Death Date: 2 Feb 1971 Death Location: New Bern, Craven Father's Name: Jack Hardy Mother's Name: Alice Moye RESIDENCE: Vanceboro, Craven, North Carolina
            Willis Cemetery

            Sue

            --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "dldgreen_1" <dldgreen@...> wrote:

            > Trying to contact William Cox regarding persons buried in this cemetery. Email addressed I was given for Mr. Cox is no longer valid.
            >
            > I am looking for the location of Red Hill Cemetery in Greene County, reportedly in the Ayden area. Would like to visit cemetery in hopes of finding the graves listed below:
            >
            > Grizzie J. HARDY JOYNER (1878-1943)
            > Charles JOYNER (1878-1953), Grizzie's husband
            >
            > Their children:
            > Annie Lee JOYNER, died 1948
            > Maybell JOYNER, died 1973
            >
            > Others possibly buried there as well. My research connection (hubby's maternal line) is through Grizzie, whose parents were Jack/John HARDY (born ca 1855) and Alice MOYE HARDY JENKINS (1858-1934). All were thought to have been born in Greene County, NC
            >
            > dldgreen@...

          • dldgreen_1
            Message 5 of 12 , May 4, 2009
              How kind of you Sue! I have these and many other death certificates, some of which show other MOYE family members buried at Red Hill Cemetery.

              Do you connect to any in this family? They descend from Daniel MOYE (b ca 1830) and his wife Grizzie/Grizza (b ca 1825). They are my husband's 2gr-grandparents.
            • rootspuzzle
              Message 6 of 12 , May 5, 2009
                No the MOYE and HARDY names caught my eye. So did a search and sent to group as a FYI so others would have insight to those listed. Sorry , should have put FYI in subject.

                Sue

                Searching
                WILLIAMS/SHORT
                Robert WILLIAMS/Susan MOYE-md 1877