RE: [genpcncfir] SPARROW Query

  • Jim M.
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 7, 2009
      My Shadrack "Shade" Wooten's location was adjoining "Blount Hall" near Contentnea Creek. I think that Shadrack "Shadrack Wooten's location was near Legrange, N.C.? The other Shadrack "Shad" Wooten's Pitt Co. location is unknow to me. Kinship: they all likely descend John Hardy, Sr., 1613-1670, who 1632 wed Olive Council. He was a member of the (Virginia?) House of Burgeses 1641-1652. They had John Hardy, Jr., who wed Alice _____, and had Lucy Hardy who wed Hodges Council, Sr. (d1699, son of John and Elizabeth Drake Council) , and had Mrs. Lucy Council Wooten. My Shadrack "Shade" Wooten wed Mary Elizabeth "Eliza" Murphey (book on N.C. Confederate women says she had five sons in Confederate service)
      and they seemed to have lived on the farm of her father Wm. Spencer Murphey, adjoining Blount Hall? Shade's brothers were Arthur Forbes Wooten, Council, Wooten, William Wooten, Jr., and I believe a sister. Their parents were (Pvt. in Revolution?) William Wooten, Sr., and Nancy Forbes, daughter of Patriot Lt. Arthur Forbes (Sr.?), of the Pitt Co. Committee of Secrecy, Intelligence, and Observation. I think William Wooten, Sr's father was John Wooten (Sr.?).

      To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com
      From: marthagay.morton@...
      Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 18:37:26 -0700
      Subject: RE: [genpcncfir] SPARROW Query

      What was the connection b/t the 3 men named Shadrack Wooten? "Shade" and "Shad" must have been "nicknames" to distinguish b/t them. NW Pitt Co is location of Contentnea Creek and Little Contentnea Creek, also Black Swamp. Do you know land location of these 3 men? Possibly father, son and grandson??
      MarthaGay

      From: marthagay.morton@...
      Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 05:41:32 -0700

      Any connections to Thomas and Deborrah Downs [Dowens]? Thomas Dowens, Pitt County Deed Book "G" page 216, NC State Grant of 5th May 1783, shared a common land line with Shadrack Wooten. "....400 acres ........................on the southside of the Tar River and the northside of Williams' Mill Creek........beginning at a pine in the county line Shadrack Wooten's corner then with his line south 40 poles to a black oak his other corner then with his other line west 12 poles to a black oak Wooten's other corner then south 136 poles into Hodges' line then with Hodges' line S89W82 poles to a pine his corner tree then S5W210 poles to a red oak thne Henry Tant's line west 168 poles to a lightwood stump a black oak butt into John Power's line then north 40 poles to a corner in Bay Ponds then west 240 poles to a pine in the county line then with said line north 55 east to the beginning......."
      Chain Bearers: William Corbett and William Mathis [Matthews]
      I am not certain of the location of this land but think it is in the NW part of Pitt County and the county line mentioned is b/t Pitt and present day Greene.
      I can't remember but think someone said Williams' Mill Creek is same as present day Kitten or Otter Creek. Do you know of any of Wooten's land tracts that would fit with this Downs tract?

      MarthaGay

      From: jewellebaker@ suddenlink. net
      Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 16:20:56 -0400
      Subject: [genpcncfir] SPARROW Query

      Hello Group.....
      Would appreciate if any of our generous members have any SPARROW
      information you can share with my
      RAOGK Requestor. Please read below query. Thank ALL of you in advance!!!
      Jewelle

      jewellebaker@ suddenlink. net
      jewelle@coastalnet. com
      Main SURNAMES;
      CANNON; COX; JACKSON; McLAWHORN (all sp); WINGATE ++++

      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/genpcncfir
      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/genpcncfir /messages

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 8, 2009
        Would you have info on Elizabeth Murphey's family. For years I have
        searched for info on Jack & Winifred Murphey. They had three children that I am
        aware of.

        1. Nancy Mary Murphey b. 1834 d. ? married Jacob Wainwright abt 1853
        2. James Murphey b. 1849 d. ? married Catherine Wainwright
        She is Jacob and Nancy Wainwright's granddaughter.
        3. Jackann Murphey b. abt 1845-I think she may have married a Baker?

        These three children were born in Greene County, NC. Nancy and James
        married and moved to Pitt County, NC after their marriages. If you could throw a
        little light on any of these people, I would be very greatful.
        Thank you, Amy W. Hunt

        _amaryllish@..._ (mailto:amaryllish@...)
        recession.

      • rootspuzzle
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 11, 2009
          Amy,
          These may fit.
          17261 pitt
          Would you have info on Elizabeth Murphey's family. For years I have
          searched for info on Jack & Winifred Murphey. They had three children that I am
          aware of.
          1860 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Greene > Fields
          795-795 Wineford Murphy 45 James Murphy 18 Jackson Murphy 15
          796-796 Thomas Murphy 30 Emma E Murphy 25 John Murphy 1

          1. Nancy Mary Murphey b. 1834 d. ? married Jacob Wainwright abt 1853
          North Carolina Death Certificates, 1909-1975 > Pitt > 1917 > June
          Name: Joseph J Waineright Gender: Male Race: White
          Age: 55 Birth Date: 10 Mar 1862 Birth Place: Greene
          Death Date: 29 Jun 1917 Death Location: Farmville; Farmville, Pitt
          Father's Name: Jacob Wainwright Mother's Name: Nancy Murphey
          Buried: Henry Moore place Chronic Brights Disease
          Married

          North Carolina Death Certificates, 1909-1975 > Greene > 1928 > September
          Name: Fannie Letchworth
          [Fannie Wainright] Gender: Female Race: White
          Age: 74 Birth Date: 3 Mar 1854 Birth Place: Green
          Death Date: 22 Sep 1928 Death Location: Olds, Greene
          Spouse's Name: Elias Lethworth
          Father's Name: Jacob Wainright Mother's Name: Nancy Wainright
          Married

          North Carolina Death Certificates, 1909-1975 > Greene > 1938 > January
          Name: Marcellus Wainwright Gender: Male Race: White
          Age: 80 Birth Date: 12 Aug Birth Place: Greene, North Carolina, United States
          Death Date: 8 Jan 1938 Death Location: Olds Township, Greene
          Spouse's Name: Susan Wainwright
          Father's Name: Jacob Wainwright Mother's Name: Nancy Wainwright

          2. James Murphey b. 1849 d. ? married Catherine Wainwright
          She is Jacob and Nancy Wainwright's granddaughter.

          3. Jackann Murphey b. abt 1845-I think she may have married a Baker?
          North Carolina Death Certificates, 1909-1975 > Pitt > 1912 > November
          Name: Jack Ann Murphy Gender: Female Race: White
          Age: 72 Birth Date: 1840 Birth Place: Green
          Death Date: 6 Nov 1912 Death Location: Greenville, Pitt
          Father's Name: Jack Murphy of Old Country mother of Greene Co.
          Single

          These three children were born in Greene County, NC. Nancy and James
          married and moved to Pitt County, NC after their marriages. If you could throw
          little light on any of these people, I would be very greatful.
          Thank you, Amy W. Hunt

          Sue

        • amaryllish@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 12, 2009
            Hello Sue, Thank you so much for all the wonderful info. You have given me
            proof of fathers idenity for the children. Do you think that Thomas may have
            been a brother to Jack Murphy? They were pretty close in age and lived close
            together. Thank you again. You were a BIG help to me. If I may return the
            favor don't hesitate to email me.
            _amaryllish@..._ (mailto:amaryllish@...)

            Amy W. Hunt
            recession.

          • rootspuzzle
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 14, 2009
              Amy,
              Have added some more pieces. Some may not fit.
              Sue
              -----------------
              These may fit.
              17261 pitt
              Would you have info on Elizabeth Murphey's family. For years I have
              searched for info on Jack & Winifred Murphey. They had three children that I am
              aware of.
              1860 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Greene > Fields
              795-795 Wineford Murphy 45 James Murphy 18 Jackson Murphy 15 male
              796-796 Thomas Murphy 30 Emma E Murphy 25 John Murphy 1

              1870 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Greene > Olds
              560-560 Lewis Johnson 41 Sarah E Johnson 29 James Johnson 7 Andrew Johnson 4 (Faney) Fairey Johnson 3 (Polley) Polbey Johnson 1/12 (Jack__ ) Jackson Murphy 23 domestic servant female

              1870 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Pitt > California
              546-549 Tom Murphy 40 grocer ret Emily Murphy 38 John Murphy 10 William Murphy 9 Ida Murphy 7 Leon Murphy 5

              1880 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Pitt > Marloboro > District 0
              14-14 Thomas Murphey 49 carriage making Emeliza Murphey 45 John A. Murphey 20 William A. Murphey 17 Laura Murphey 11 Minnie Murphey 7 Thos. Eliza Murphey 4 Emma D. Murphey 1

              1. Nancy Mary Murphey b. 1834 d. ? married Jacob Wainwright abt 1853

              1880 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Greene > Olds > District 64
              Jacob Wainwright 45 Nancy Wainwright 46 Marcellus Wainwright 19 Joseph Wainwright 18 Dorcas Wainwright 15

[...]

              (NOTE: never married)
              North Carolina Death Certificates, 1909-1975 > Pitt > 1912 > November
              Name: Jack Ann Murphy Gender: Female Race: White
              Age: 72 Birth Date: 1840 Birth Place: Green
              Death Date: 6 Nov 1912 Death Location: Greenville, Pitt
              Father's Name: Jack Murphy of Old Country mother of Greene Co.
              Single

              1900 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Pitt > Greenville > District 94
              Green Street 215-224 James H Murphy 44 md:21 Jan 1856 Annie Murphy 42 md:21 ch:3-liv:0 July 1857 Sarah Cobb 79 wife mother Oct 1820 wd. Ch:4-liv:2 Jackey Ann Murphy 39 Sister feb 1861 single Asa Rouse 8 orphan lodger aug 1891 Minda Jane Rouse 8 orphan lodger july 1892 James Forbes 36 lodger may 1864 single Windham 41 lodger jan 1859 single
              Name: Jackey Ann Murphy Home in 1900: Greenville, Pitt, North Carolina Age: 39 Birth Date: Feb 1861 Birthplace: North Carolina Race: White Ethnicity: American Gender: Female Relationship to head-of-house: Sister Father's Birthplace: North Carolina Mother's Birthplace: North Carolina Marital Status: Single Residence : Greenville Town, Pitt, North Carolina

              1910 United States Federal Census > North Carolina > Pitt > Greenville Ward 4 > District 100
              611-211-216 John W Murphy 44 Mary L Murphy 50 John D Murphy 18 Jennette Dutter (last name ?) 82 wd. Ch:2-Liv:2 (may be Mother-in-law) Jacky A Murphy 64 (This is very faint and hard to read but may be Aunt) Single
              Transcribed as----Name: Jacky A Murphy Age in 1910: 64 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1846 Birthplace: North Carolina Relation to Head of House: Mother Father's Birth Place: North Carolina Mother's Birth Place: North Carolina Home in 1910: Greenville Ward 4, Pitt, North Carolina Marital Status: Single Race: White Gender: Female