KINSTON COLLEGE Professor Lewis

  • Charity Ackerman
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2009
      Does anyone have any information about Kinston College. My grandmother went there. I found some of her records this weekend while going through old papers. I also have a picture of Professor Lewis and I believe a picture of the school class taken in front of the school. Also, would these papers and photos be something I could donate to the Joyner Library ?
      Charity Ackerman
      reseaching NELSON, WORTHINGTON, LAUGHINGHOUSE, BYRD, CANNON, MCGLOHON (ALL SPELLINGS) for starters.

    • Judy N. Lewis
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2009
        Hello,

        What a treasure you have found!  I certainly would think that Joyner would be happy to receive the donation.

        There is an article in the "Heritage of Lenoir County" which says, "The Kinston Collegiate Institute was launched in 1871 by Elder Joseh H. Foy with 36 pupils which increased to over 100 by the end of the first term."  The article further states that funds were raised by the Kinston College Stock Company and through these funds a lot was purchased on East Street between King and Caswell Streets and "the school opened in September (1882) with Dr. R. H. (Richard Henry) Lewis as principal.  In 1891 the institution was reorganized with professors W. B. Lee and J. L. Crowell".

        Judy

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2009
          I am so glad someone thinks they are worth while. Thank you for the information on Kinston College.
          Charity

          Does anyone have any information about Kinston College. My grandmother went
          there. I found some of her records this weekend while going through old papers.
          I also have a picture of Professor Lewis and I believe a picture of the school
          class taken in front of the school. Also, would these papers and photos be
          something I could donate to the Joyner Library ?
          Charity Ackerman
          reseaching NELSON, WORTHINGTON, LAUGHINGHOUSE, BYRD, CANNON, MCGLOHON (ALL
          SPELLINGS) for starters.

          you are interested in genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and all Eastern
          and Coastal North Carolina counties.
          Yahoo! Groups Links