Re: [genpcncfir] Question?

  • Debbie F Murphy
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2009
      Have you tried asking the county commissioners for money? I believe they are required by law to perserve these cemetery's. They should at least have a committee overseeing this type of thing. Also, Churches are a good place for your nephew to solicit donations.

      Or the simpliest thing would be for whoever currently owns the land to pay for the cost of the materials especially if your nephew is doing all the work himself.

      BTW, congratulate your nephew on selecting such an important project!

      This is from the Greene County Newsletter:

      Greene County Cemetery Board of Trustees

      The Greene County commissioners appointed five people to serve on the cemetery board of trustees. GCFR members Mike Edge, Louis Dail, Ken Creech and Linda Ivey were appointed along with Mrs. Doris Jones of Hookerton.

      The requirements of this board are to provide to the Register of Deeds office a list of all public and public abandoned cemeteries in Greene County. Public abandoned cemeteries will be controlled by the county. This board will also be proposing a new county ordinance which would allow landowners, who may have public abandoned cemeteries on their property, to give control of those cemeteries to the county.

      Another proposed ordinance would require landowners to state on transfers of real property if a cemetery or burial plot is located on that property.