Pension Application 1832 Memorial combat against America's founding enemy

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2009
      G'morning Groups......
      The below gleaned from Barry Wetherington for your perusal,
      thanks Barry!! .... read on:

      Hello W'tons and others recorded in this Pension application - memorial
      of combat against America's founding enemy - memorial of both success and
      failure, of combat/ engagements from NC to GA, involving a number of
      recognized
      known leaders, and others not as well known simple soldiers, doing their
      duty, often successful, other times not, sometimes led well, sometimes not
      and other times on their own, who sacrificed as they saw their duty, and
      carried it out. We thank them for their valor and for their efforts
      otherwise.

      Southern Campaign American Revolution Pension Statements
      Pension application of Solomon Witherington S7936
      Transcribed by Will Graves [Thank You Will Graves bw]

      State of North Carolina, Craven County
      On this 25th day of October AD 1832 personally appeared in open Court
      before Joseph J.
      Daniel, Judge &c of Craven Superior Court, now sitting, Solomon
      Witherington, a resident of Craven
      County, North Carolina, aged Seventy one years, who being first duly sworn
      according to law, doth on
      his oath, make the following declaration, in order to obtain the benefit of
      the act of Congress passed
      June 7, 1832. -- that when about fourteen years of age he served as a
      substitute for John Dismul who
      was drafted by Captain Menan Patrick at Kinston Lenoir County North Carolina
      but at what precise
      time this applicant entered the Service he is unable to state, being now
      advanced in years, and very
      young when he enlisted � That they were ordered to rendezvous at Kinston,
      and thence under the
      command of General William Bryan, Colonel William Caswell, Captain John
      Stringer McIlwaine,
      Lieutenant Thomas Shute, together with Blamey Harper Ensign Isler Kilpatrick
      first Sergeant, James
      Cowan second Sergeant and Elijah Johnson corporal, they marched through
      North Carolina and South
      Carolina without the occurrence of any occurrence worthy of mention, until
      they reached a place called
      the White House, on the Savannah River which divides the State of South
      Carolina from Georgia � at
      that place they discovered a party of British soldiers on the opposite side
      and thereupon immediately
      fired upon them, they then marched to Augusta Old Field, about a mile below
      the town of Augusta, and
      lay there one week, until the British evacuated Augusta, whereupon the
      Americans entered the town.
      After remaining at Augusta a very short time, we marched from the town of
      Augusta, to Brier [sic,
      Briar] Creek in Georgia, where we engaged with the British. --The engagement
      took place between
      one and two o'clock and resulted in the defeat and dispersion of the
      American forces � our light horse
      fared very badly, and were nearly all destroyed. -- this applicant in the
      general dispersion which
      ensued fell in with sixteen of the American forces, and they agreed to make
      James Noble, one of their
      number, captain of the Sixteen; after wandering about in the woods for some
      time, on their way home
      they reached the Savannah River, where it was quite broad, and found in the
      River an old raft of plank,
      all of the Sixteen immediately got upon it, but they were unable to carry it
      across the stream � this they
      therefore abandoned, and perceiving an old canoe on the opposite side of the
      river, they all agreed to
      give Dick Johnson, one of their number, one hundred dollars, to swim across
      and bring over the canoe;
      after some hesitation he agreed to make the attempt, and pulled off his
      clothes, and jumped into the
      stream, but after swimming twenty or thirty yards, he returned to the same
      bank, whence he started, and
      refused to go. --All the surrounding country being alarmed by the victory of
      the enemy and our
      situation growing more and more dangerous, this applicant, swam across the
      River, obtained the canoe,
      and thus the whole party gained the opposite bank; after reaching this side
      of the river, we traveled
      upon the banks of the same, until we came to a house called the Two Sisters
      which was occupied by
      two women, and where there was a ferry. --They informed us that the British
      had just passed, and gave
      us some Hominy, of which we partook very heartily. -- We then retraced our
      steps down the River, and
      ultimately reached the White House, where we found our baggage, wagons &c ,
      of which we took possession, nobody having them in charge, and remained
      there three days � on
      the third day, themremnant of our light horse came up; and on the fourth day
      the brigade came
      up and we marched downmto a small place called Purryburg [sic, Purysburg],
      where we continued to
      remain until our time wasmout. -- Colonel William Caswell, here took command
      of our Regiment and under
      him we marched onmto Charleston, thence through Georgetown, and Wilmington
      (North Carolina) to
      Kinston in NorthmCarolina having served five months, which added to the time
      consumed in
      traveling home, made fivemmonths & 18 days. -- This applicant, never asked
      for, nor received a
      discharge from any person, beingmat that time very young, fond of the
      service, anxious to see the world, and
      ambitious of distraction. --mAbout two years after the discharge of this
      applicant, (when he was 16 years
      of age) at Purysburg in SoCa, he was drafted at Kinston North Carolina, as
      well as applicant can
      recollect under the command of Genl Richard Caswell, Col. Benjamin Axum, and
      Col Richard Caswell, he
      marched to Cross Creek (now Fayetteville) thence up to Hillsboro, and from
      the latter place, they
      took up their line of march for South Carolina, they crossed the Yadkin
      River, and near Lynches Creek were
      joined by Genl Gates [Horatio Gates]; under the general command of Genl
      Gates they proceeded on
      to Camden, but before they reached the latter place, they were met by the
      British, and an
      engagement took place, which resulted in the complete discomfiture of the
      Americans. -- This applicant
      was not present in the engagement but was left a short distance from the
      battleground on the road,
      quite sick � the first person he saw after the defeat was �Tory John Cox,�
      as he was afterwards called, he
      informed this applicant, of the complete overthrow of the American Army;
      this man was a very valiant
      soldier, and much attached to the camp of the Whigs, but subsequently became
      a rank Tory. --
      Col. Benjamin Axum came up and informed this applicant that all was lost,
      and he must take the
      best care of himself that he could, and this applicant accordingly made his
      escape, and after a long and
      tedious journey finally succeeded in reaching Kinston in North Carolina. --
      Upon this tour of duty,
      he served three months. -- This applicant never received a discharge as the
      troops were completely
      dispersed, the remnant of them never was called together afterwards, and the
      declarant never applied for a
      discharge. -- This applicant was engaged, as a substitute afterwards, for
      Christopher Taylor, to guard
      the magazine of arms & ammunition which was kept in Kinston, under Captain
      Samuel Caswell and Genl
      William Caswell, and served three months; he has no data by which he can fix
      upon the time of his
      service, and never made any endeavor to pursue any memorandum, or anything
      else, by which his memory
      might be aided and refreshed upon the matter, as he never expected to
      receive any compensation,
      at a future day for the same, and could not anticipate any possible
      advantage, that might arise from
      it. -- This declarant next volunteered in August 1780, under General
      Lillington, and marched with
      Captain Matthew Moseley and Major William Shepard from Kinston, to intercept
      Major Craig, who at the
      ahead of some British forces, was reported to be on his way from Wilmington
      to New Bern North
      Carolina. The Americans fell in with him at Harget's in Jones County, and
      after a smart brush, he
      retreated & came to New Bridge over Trent River, where on picket guard,
      engaged with his light
      horsemen, they again retreated, and finally succeeded in reaching New Bern
      without any further molestation.
      This applicant, then went to Trenton where after serving the 10 days out for
      which they enlisted, they
      were relieved and marched back to Kinston under Major Shepard. -- This
      applicant never received any formal discharge for this service. -- This
      applicant again served as a substitute for Nathan
      Witherington, who was drafted by Captain Ezeriah Moore, and ordered to
      rendezvous at Kinston; thence under the command of Captain Thomas Gatlin,
      they marched to Wilmington, and whilst on their way, having received the
      news that peace was proclaimed between this and the mother country; they
      were disbanded & returned home. --
      This declarant has no documentary evidence, by which he can support the
      facts herein contained. -- He hereby relinquishes every claim whatever to a
      pension or annuity except the present, and declares that his name is not on
      the pension roll of the agency of any state.
      S/Solomon Witherington
      Sworn to, and subscribed, the day and year aforesaid.
      S/ Edward Paul [?]
      Interrogatories:
      1st � where and in what year were you born?
      Answer � In Lenoir County North Carolina Kinston on the fourth of October
      A.D. 1761.
      2nd � have you any record of you are age, and if so, where is it?
      Answer � Yes, in the family Bible, which is now in the position of my eldest
      brother who is now living in Craven County North Carolina. 3rd � how were
      you called into service where were you living when called into service;
      where have you lived since the revolutionary war, and where do you now live?
      Answer � I was living when called into service near Kinston in Lenoir County
      North Carolina. I served as a substitute three times, viz: for John Dismul,
      Christopher Taylor, and Nathan Witherington, was drafted once, and
      volunteered once.
      5th � state the names of some of the regular officers who were with the
      troops where you served, such Continental and militia regiments, as you can
      recollect and the general
      circumstances of your service.
      Answer � General William Bryan, Colonel William Caswell, General Richard
      Caswell, General
      Lillington, General Gates, & Colonel Benjamin Axum. 6th � did you ever
      receive a discharge from the service, and if so by whom was it given, and
      what has become of it.
      Answer � I never did, for I never applied for one.
      7th � state the names of the persons to whom you are known in your present
      neighborhood, and who
      can testify as to your character for veracity, and their belief of your
      services as a soldier of the revolution.
      Answer � Richard Richardson, Andrew H. Richardson, Caleb Horten [could be
      Hooten], Joseph
      Witherington & William Witherington.
      S/Solomon Witherington
      Sworn to and subscribed the 25th day of October AD1832.
      S/Edward Paul [?]

      The Amended Declaration of Solomon Witherington for a pension under the act
      of Congress of 7 June
      1832. -- personally appeared before me, the undersigned, a Justice of the
      Peace for the County of
      Craven, in the State of North Carolina, Solomon Witherington, who being duly
      sworn deposeth and saith that by reason of old age, and the consequent loss
      of memory, he
      cannot swear positively as to the precise length of his Service, but
      according to the best of his
      recollection, he served not less than the periods mentioned below and in the
      following grades: first as a substitute for John Dismal & went through South
      Carolina & Georgia he served in all five months and eighteen
      days. Served under Caswell & Gates three months � third as a substitute for
      Christopher Taylor
      he served three months � fourth under Genl Lillington to intercept Major
      Craig he served 10 days �
      fifth as a substitute for Nathan Witherington he served a short time, how
      long this applicant cannot
      say; and for such Service, I claim a pension.

      S/Solomon Witherington
      Sworn to before made this 28th June AD 1833.
      S/ Hardy Whitford, J. P.

      William Witherington make his oath that Solomon Witherington and his brother
      James left home in
      1779, and went with the Army to get Briar Creek, in Georgia, and was absent
      at least five months;
      immediately upon the return home from said defeat at Briar Creek, the said
      Solomon, informed this
      affiant, that General Ashe was completely defeated by the superior
      management and maneuvering of
      the British officers and of his escape and privation. -- This affiant knows
      that the aid Solomon was in
      the main Army at Camden, as this affiant, was marched to reinforced the said
      Army, but his time of
      service had not expired when the said Solomon returned home, & he cannot
      therefore say how long he
      was absent from home on this tour. -- This affiant further states that he
      knows that the said Solomon
      served three months in the town of Kinston, guarding the magazine & and he
      knows of his being in the
      Expedition to intercept Major Craig on his way to New Bern.
      S/ Will Witherington
      Sworn to before me the 28th June 1833.
      S/ Hardy Whitford, J. P.

      ========
      Thanks Bill King for your attention and effort to place this memorial into
      our hands.
      C Barry Wetherington, Birmingham MI 48009, blood and dna descendant of
      some of these citizen
      soldiers, some named, others not.
      ps: There was no online Link avail w/this Declaration but I feel
      confident the source was:
      Southern Campaign American Revolution Pension Statements
      http://www.southerncampaign.org/pen/s7936.pdf (bw)