Re: [genpcncfir] Vtial records

  • Judy N. Lewis
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 20, 2009
      Good Morning,

      What is the name of your Pitt County born person?  Birth and death certificates started in 1913.  Births are not online but Pitt County Family Researchers does have the death index online (a work in progress).

      Judy

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 20, 2009
        Has anyone checked the progress of the death index online for the ones that have not been done? This I know is a very, very big project but it is very helpful to the ones that don't live in Greenville. I know everyone appreciates the hard work that has been put into this project.

        Jo Webb

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 20, 2009
          Prior to October, 1913 NC counties did not have birth certificates as they were not required. Check your family bibles. Federal census records give a "guestimated" birth date with the age of the person listed. Prior to 1850 only heads of households were listed by name.
          Edith Cox

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 6, 2009
            Dear Jo,
                I have completed the M's for the Pitt County Death Records. I do not know how to enter the information on the web. That is the reason for their not being online.
               If you or anyone else wants any information on anyone within this group, please e-mail me. I will be very happy to provide it for you pronto.
               Second, if anyone is willing to post this information online for me, please contact me. I will mail you at my expense this data for you to post.
               It really bothers me not having been able to share this material which I have had for some time, but I have no clue on how to access the Death Records Database to enter it or how to format it if I do access it.
               I will welcome any assistance and suggestions.
              Thanks, Carol

            Has anyone checked the progress of the death index online for the ones that have not been done? This I know is a very, very big project but it is very helpful to the ones that don't live in Greenville. I know everyone appreciates the hard work that has been put into this project.

            Jo Webb

            What is the name of your Pitt County born person? Birth and death certificates started in 1913. Births are not online but Pitt County Family Researchers does have the death index online (a work in progress).

            Judy

            Could anyone tell me where i cann find vital records (birth) for Pitt
            county NC? I am doing genealogical research and have 1 lady that lists
            being born in Pitt County in 1836.
            Thank you

          • Bill & Gayle Arnold
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 6, 2009
              Carol - What are the earliest dates in the death records?
              Bill Arnold
              Birmingham, Alabama

            • Brenda Stocks
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 6, 2009
                Carol,

                The Death Records that have been done in the past were posted on the PCFR website. http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr/
                I had seen on the website that you had volunteered to do the M's. If you will get in touch with Roger and let him know you have completed the M's he will tell you how to get the info to him to get it on the PCFR website. I think some other letters have recently been finished, too, so hopefully they will soon be getting those into the Death Records database on the website.

                Brenda

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 9, 2009
                  Dear Brenda,
                       Thanks. I am waiting for additional feedback from Roger on how to do the formatting.
                       Later, Carol

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 12, 2009
                    Dear Bill & Gayle,
                          The earliest ones are 1913 since that is when records began. However, among those Death Certificates is information about earlier generations because the parents of the deceased are listed.
                           Another source is marriage records of the children if you know the children's names. The parents of each usually are listed though there are exceptions.
                           Allen Churchill's Pitt County Marriages that I bought from him cleared up who were the parents of my Braxton grandfather and grandmother, for example.
                           Read through the online Cemetery records from the Pitt County Family Researchers' website if you have not already done so. Some of the church cemetery records have also been posted, and these go back to before the Civil War.
                           Finally, read through the online Census records from this site.
                           Later, Carol