Re: [genpcncfir] Re: Mill or Mile Branch and Round Pecoson

  • Charles Harrington
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2008
      Thanks Margaret. I found a Mill Branch in this general area. It's located
      by Grindle Creek West of the intersection of NC 30 and NC 903 and East of
      US13/NC11. If you look on a map, can anyone tell where the "fork" in Mill
      Branch is located?

      On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 6:18 PM, Margaret Lindsey Smith <mlsmith67@...>wrote:

      > On the USGS Geographic Names website at http://geonames.usgs.gov I
      > found the following:
      >
      > Grindle Pocosin:
      > Latitude(DEC) 35.7237702
      > Longitude(DEC) -77.4180231
      > Latitude(DMS) 354326N
      > Longitude(DMS) 0772505W
      > Map Name Greenville NW
      >
      > Appears to be about halfway between Hollands and Whitehurst.
      >
      > Pocoson Branch:
      > Mouth:
      > Latitude(DEC) 35.6359946
      > Longitude(DEC) -77.1741251
      > Latitude(DMS) 353810N
      > Longitude(DMS) 0771027W
      > Map Name Leggetts Crossroads
      >
      > Source:
      > Latitude(DEC) 35.6402778
      > Longitude(DEC) -77.1855556
      > Latitude(DMS) 353825N
      > Longitude(DMS) 0771108W
      > Map Name: Leggetts Crossroads
      >
      > Appears to be somewhat east of Pactolus.
      >
      > I couldn't find a Mile Branch or Mill Branch, although there are
      > several streams in Pitt County with "Mill" as part of the name: Greens
      > Mill Run, Harris Mill Run, Johnson's Mill Run and Langs Mill Run.

    • Margaret Lindsey Smith
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2009
        I forgot to add to my previous post that Grindle Pocosin is listed on
        the USGS website as a swamp.

        Margaret