Re: Mill or Mile Branch and Round Pecoson

  • Margaret Lindsey Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2008
      On the USGS Geographic Names website at http://geonames.usgs.gov I
      found the following:

      Grindle Pocosin:
      Latitude(DEC) 35.7237702
      Longitude(DEC) -77.4180231
      Latitude(DMS) 354326N
      Longitude(DMS) 0772505W
      Map Name Greenville NW

      Appears to be about halfway between Hollands and Whitehurst.

      Pocoson Branch:
      Mouth:
      Latitude(DEC) 35.6359946
      Longitude(DEC) -77.1741251
      Latitude(DMS) 353810N
      Longitude(DMS) 0771027W
      Map Name Leggetts Crossroads

      Source:
      Latitude(DEC) 35.6402778
      Longitude(DEC) -77.1855556
      Latitude(DMS) 353825N
      Longitude(DMS) 0771108W
      Map Name: Leggetts Crossroads

      Appears to be somewhat east of Pactolus.

      I couldn't find a Mile Branch or Mill Branch, although there are
      several streams in Pitt County with "Mill" as part of the name: Greens
      Mill Run, Harris Mill Run, Johnson's Mill Run and Langs Mill Run.
    • Charles Harrington
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 31, 2008
        Thanks Margaret. I found a Mill Branch in this general area. It's located
        by Grindle Creek West of the intersection of NC 30 and NC 903 and East of
        US13/NC11. If you look on a map, can anyone tell where the "fork" in Mill
        Branch is located?

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2009
          I forgot to add to my previous post that Grindle Pocosin is listed on
          the USGS website as a swamp.

          Margaret