RE: [genpcncfir] Mill or Mile Branch and Round Pecoson

  • L D Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 30, 2008
      More information about what entries you found these in, property owners, etc might help.

      To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.comFrom: eastcarolinatarheel@...: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 16:29:45 -0500Subject: [genpcncfir] Mill or Mile Branch and Round Pecoson

      Does anyone know the location of Mill/Mile Branch and/or Round Pecoson(pocosin)? These would be north of the Tar River. I've found them incolonial land entries.Charles Harrington[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

    • Margaret Lindsey Smith
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 31, 2008
        On the USGS Geographic Names website at http://geonames.usgs.gov I
        found the following:

        Grindle Pocosin:
        Latitude(DEC) 35.7237702
        Longitude(DEC) -77.4180231
        Latitude(DMS) 354326N
        Longitude(DMS) 0772505W
        Map Name Greenville NW

        Appears to be about halfway between Hollands and Whitehurst.

        Pocoson Branch:
        Mouth:
        Latitude(DEC) 35.6359946
        Longitude(DEC) -77.1741251
        Latitude(DMS) 353810N
        Longitude(DMS) 0771027W
        Map Name Leggetts Crossroads

        Source:
        Latitude(DEC) 35.6402778
        Longitude(DEC) -77.1855556
        Latitude(DMS) 353825N
        Longitude(DMS) 0771108W
        Map Name: Leggetts Crossroads

        Appears to be somewhat east of Pactolus.

        I couldn't find a Mile Branch or Mill Branch, although there are
        several streams in Pitt County with "Mill" as part of the name: Greens
        Mill Run, Harris Mill Run, Johnson's Mill Run and Langs Mill Run.
      • Charles Harrington
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 31, 2008
          Thanks Margaret. I found a Mill Branch in this general area. It's located
          by Grindle Creek West of the intersection of NC 30 and NC 903 and East of
          US13/NC11. If you look on a map, can anyone tell where the "fork" in Mill
          Branch is located?

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2009
            I forgot to add to my previous post that Grindle Pocosin is listed on
            the USGS website as a swamp.

            Margaret