Mill or Mile Branch and Round Pecoson

  • Charles Harrington
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 30, 2008
      Does anyone know the location of Mill/Mile Branch and/or Round Pecoson
      (pocosin)? These would be north of the Tar River. I've found them in
      colonial land entries.

      Charles Harrington

    • L D Smith
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 30, 2008
        More information about what entries you found these in, property owners, etc might help.

        To: genpcncfir@yahoogroups.comFrom: eastcarolinatarheel@...: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 16:29:45 -0500Subject: [genpcncfir] Mill or Mile Branch and Round Pecoson

        Does anyone know the location of Mill/Mile Branch and/or Round Pecoson(pocosin)? These would be north of the Tar River. I've found them incolonial land entries.Charles Harrington[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

      • Margaret Lindsey Smith
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 31, 2008
          On the USGS Geographic Names website at http://geonames.usgs.gov I
          found the following:

          Grindle Pocosin:
          Latitude(DEC) 35.7237702
          Longitude(DEC) -77.4180231
          Latitude(DMS) 354326N
          Longitude(DMS) 0772505W
          Map Name Greenville NW

          Appears to be about halfway between Hollands and Whitehurst.

          Pocoson Branch:
          Mouth:
          Latitude(DEC) 35.6359946
          Longitude(DEC) -77.1741251
          Latitude(DMS) 353810N
          Longitude(DMS) 0771027W
          Map Name Leggetts Crossroads

          Source:
          Latitude(DEC) 35.6402778
          Longitude(DEC) -77.1855556
          Latitude(DMS) 353825N
          Longitude(DMS) 0771108W
          Map Name: Leggetts Crossroads

          Appears to be somewhat east of Pactolus.

          I couldn't find a Mile Branch or Mill Branch, although there are
          several streams in Pitt County with "Mill" as part of the name: Greens
          Mill Run, Harris Mill Run, Johnson's Mill Run and Langs Mill Run.
        • Charles Harrington
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 31, 2008
            Thanks Margaret. I found a Mill Branch in this general area. It's located
            by Grindle Creek West of the intersection of NC 30 and NC 903 and East of
            US13/NC11. If you look on a map, can anyone tell where the "fork" in Mill
            Branch is located?

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 1, 2009
              I forgot to add to my previous post that Grindle Pocosin is listed on
              the USGS website as a swamp.

              Margaret