Early Color Photos

  • Marcia McLawhorn
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 15, 2008
      Betty, your story was wonderful ... Please, share more often.
      I enjoyed those pictures also. Some were taken at places that I have been.

      I too was unaware that we were "poor" as the neighbors had little more. However, there was plenty of love in my home and all the parents worked together to make it a safe, child-friendly neighborhood. Downside was that, my mother would know what I had done before I even got home.

      One story my mother shared, which proved to her the axiom of "don't count your chickens before they hatch". When I was two using the GI-Bill, my parents bought their first home. Since it was still a farm area, mom acquired a bunch of chicken eggs to hatch into egg-laying hens. She probably planned to retail them at her parent's small store.
      Things did not work out. Some of those eggs did not hatch; those that did, more of them were roosters. As I don't remember any chickens, I guess my mom had a change of plans.
      .
      Because of the "waste not" philosophy, I still find it hard to throw things away. [I sometimes quip that I'm a bag-lady-in-training.] This is not true for my youngest siblings, as my parents' thriftiness and hard work had lifted the family into a better place and they [fortunately] had a different life experience.

      Marcia

    • sistajme
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 15, 2008
        I Truly and THOROUGHLY enjoyed that mental walk down historys lane.
        The photos it took my imagination to that place and time. Thank you