Link to Gilmer Civil War Maps from UNC Collection

  • Bob Forbes
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2008
      Some folks recently inquired about Gilmer's Civil War maps of eastern
      NC. The best link I've found for viewing most of them is below:

      http://dc.lib.unc.edu/cdm4/results.php?CISOOP1=exact&CISOROOT=%
      2Fgilmer&CISOPARM=%2Fgilmer+%3Acovera%
      3ANorth+Carolina&x=8&y=3&CISOSTART=1,1

      Make sure all the characters in above link run together on one line,
      then click and it should connect you to a web page showing thumbnails
      and descriptions of the maps.

      Maps including parts of Pitt County are #5, #6, #31, and #34. Other
      maps show other parts of N. Carolina and may be of interest to some.

      Simply click on a map to zoom in-- they are amazingly sharp, and some
      have landowner names.

      Happy Hunting,

      Bob Forbes