DeBerry General Store location in 1805, Pitt County, NC

  • Betty Cobb Batchelor
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008
      Help needed in locating a general store near the Edgecombe/ Pitt County
      line in 1805. The proprietors possible Lemuel and Benjamin DeBerry.
      Is there anyone who might know of a possible location or have completed
      any research on this family?
      Betty
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 5, 2008
        In the 1810 census I found a Lemuel Deberry in North Hampton County.
         Paula Baker

        Thomas Mann

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2008
          I strongly believe the DeBerry General Store was located in
          Falkland. Gilmer's Civil War map of the area shows DeBerry property
          and bldg located right on the road between Falkland and Pillsboro
          Landing, which had a river bridge by that time... the only bridge
          over the Tar between Greenville and Old Sparta. Betty shared some of
          the store ledger names with me earlier... they appear to include
          almost everybody from western Pitt and eastern Edgecombe County in
          the early 1800's, including several of my ancestors. I'm interested
          in any more info regarding this store..
          Bob Forbes

          --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Paula Baker <paulabaker69@...>
          wrote:

          > In the 1810 census I found a Lemuel Deberry in North Hampton County.
          >  Paula Baker
          > Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in Georgia, South
          Carolina, and Louisiana and
          > Baker, Tyson, Manning, and Stocks in North Carolina
          >

          > "We are not free, separate, and independent entities, but like
          links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are
          without those who went before us and showed us the way."

          > Thomas Mann
          >

          > ________________________________
          County, NC

        • LdMel1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 5, 2008
            Where can I find Gilmer's Civil War map of that area? I two would like
            to know the names in the store
            ledger. I have walls that I cannot get past in that area. Thanks ahead
            for your help.

            Have a blessed day
            Linda Melvin

            wrote:

            > In the 1810 census I found a Lemuel Deberry in North Hampton County.
            >  Paula Baker
            > Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in Georgia, South
            Carolina, and Louisiana and
            > Baker, Tyson, Manning, and Stocks in North Carolina
            >

            > "We are not free, separate, and independent entities, but like
            links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are
            without those who went before us and showed us the way."

            > Thomas Mann
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Evelyn Hendricks
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 6, 2008
              I, too, would be very interested in that map. The one I have for the area of
              Greene Co. that adjoins Pitt Co. has been very useful to me. Since I have
              ancestors from the Falkland area the one for that area might be just as
              useful.

              Evelyn

              _____

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 6, 2008
                Thanks Paula, Bob, Bill for your assistance. I also feel the store
                was in the Falkland area. Lemuel DeBerry possible came from
                Northampton County. A descendant of the DeBerry line thoughts
                perhaps it was purchased at an estate sale of the older Lemuel
                DeBerry of Pitt County, NC who died around 1817 by his son and
                possible he was a JP for the County.
                Were the 1800 and 1810 census taken by going door to door thus
                showing neighbors?
                The DeBerry on the Gilmer's Civil War map was possible a son or
                grandson of Lemuel DeBerry. This area was a hub for activity during
                this time.
                I have one reference:
                Pitt County, NC DB M pg 115 6-9-1787 Grantor George WALSTON Grantee
                W.J. > 3 A, &5, Wit: Lemuel DeBERRY, Jesse DILDAY

                I'm sure there are many more listings, but must be researched.
                I will keep working on this ~~~~Any help will be appreciated.
                Betty

                Bob Forbes

                > I strongly believe the DeBerry General Store was located in
                > Falkland. Gilmer's Civil War map of the area shows DeBerry
                property
                > and bldg located right on the road between Falkland and Pillsboro
                > Landing, which had a river bridge by that time... the only bridge
                > over the Tar between Greenville and Old Sparta. Betty shared some
                of
                > the store ledger names with me earlier... they appear to include
                > almost everybody from western Pitt and eastern Edgecombe County in
                > the early 1800's, including several of my ancestors. I'm interested
                > in any more info regarding this store..
                > Bob Forbes

                Paula Baker