Name of counties? My 2 cents

  • Marcia McLawhorn
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 2, 2008
      I've never seen "Maxwell County" in NC; but I found these references:
      1) On Civil War enlistment data is a PO Address: Maxwell, NC in Columbus County.
      2) On page of Caldwell County, NC Cities and Towns with Zip Codes is Maxwell, NC 78656

      Chicoa was a legal place at one time.
      Looking at LDS free search of the 1880 census in Pitt County, NC.
      For the Town, I see Chicoa as the second community on the list between Belvoir and Contentnea. Is it the old way for Chicod?

      Sincerely,
      Marcia

    • Trish Worthington Cobb
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 2, 2008
        I think it used to be a census district in the area that now includes
        Simpson and Chicod.

        On Nov 2, 2008, at 11:54 AM, Marcia McLawhorn wrote:

        > I've never seen "Maxwell County" in NC; but I found these references:
        > 1) On Civil War enlistment data is a PO Address: Maxwell, NC in
        > Columbus County.
        > 2) On page of Caldwell County, NC Cities and Towns with Zip Codes is
        > Maxwell, NC 78656
        >
        > Chicoa was a legal place at one time.
        > Looking at LDS free search of the 1880 census in Pitt County, NC.
        > For the Town, I see Chicoa as the second community on the list
        > between Belvoir and Contentnea. Is it the old way for Chicod?
        >
        > Sincerely,
        > Marcia

      • stephannie brown
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 3, 2008
          Thank you Marcia

          ________________________________
          I think it used to be a census district in the area that now includes
          Simpson and Chicod.

          On Nov 2, 2008, at 11:54 AM, Marcia McLawhorn wrote:

          > I've never seen "Maxwell County" in NC; but I found these references:
          > 1) On Civil War enlistment data is a PO Address: Maxwell, NC in
          > Columbus County.
          > 2) On page of Caldwell County, NC Cities and Towns with Zip Codes is
          > Maxwell, NC 78656
          >
          > Chicoa was a legal place at one time.
          > Looking at LDS free search of the 1880 census in Pitt County, NC.
          > For the Town, I see Chicoa as the second community on the list
          > between Belvoir and Contentnea. Is it the old way for Chicod?
          >
          > Sincerely,
          > Marcia

        • stephannie brown
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 3, 2008
            Thank you Everyone

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 3, 2008
              Hello my father has always told me that my grand mother was an Cherokee Indian went by the name of Bright Eyes on the reservation i have checked the Dawes, Miller and Baker rolls and have been unable to find her is there and other way that i can search for her.....her maiden name was Annie Randolph she was married twice to Wilson and Pitt i never knew her mother or fathers name any information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

              ________________________________

              Hello everyone does anyone know if there's a Maxwell County NC or was
              there ever an Maxwell County also is there or was there an Chicoa Pitt
              County NC because i cannot find it either of them? stephannie

            • Judy N. Lewis
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 3, 2008
                From Allen Churchill''s Pitt County Bride Index:

                Adelaide Randolph, daughter of Richard Randolph, married on 1/14/1884 A F Corbitt

                Annie Randolph, daughter of T. E. Randolph, married on 12/12/1894 P. S. Quinerly

                Della Randolph, daughter of Chas R. Randolph, married on 1/24/1878 Jesse Downs

                Harriet Randolph, daughter of Mumul Randolph, married on 4/15/1872 Howell Atkinson

                Harriet Ann Randolph, daughter of Henry Stancill, married on 5/1/1870 Robt Randolph

                Jesse Randolph, daughter of Jesse Randolph, married on 12/21/1887 R. R. Hodges

                Liddia Randolph, daughter of Wilson Randolph, married on 10/22/1870 Robert Freeman

                Prudence Randolph, daugher of Richd Randolph, married on 11/30/1876 Benj B. Pollard

                R. A. Randolph, daughter of C A Randolph, married on 2/17/1892 Bynum Teel

                Vedie E. Randolph, daughter of Edward Randolph, married on 10/20/1886 R A Rollins

                From Edgecombe County Marriages:

                Robert Randolph married on 12/22/1831 Jaque A. Ruffin

                Martha P. Randolph married on 10-8-1822 John F. Hughes

                Judy

                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 3, 2008
                  thank you judy is that the whole list? Annie Randolph was first married to Culley or Curly Wilson because her name isn't there does it mean they where never married? or is there somewhere to look? thank you

                  ________________________________

                  ____________ _________ _________ __

                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 3, 2008
                    I found an Annie E. Randolph b. abt. 1872 in Pitt County who is the daughter of John E. Randolph and Cornelia.  Is this the one you are looking for?  Brothers look like James H. Randolph and Leonard Randolph.  I found a couple more.  Give me an approx birthdate if this isn't the one.
                     Paula Baker

                    Thomas Mann

                    ________________________________
[...]

                  • Louise
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 4, 2008
                      At one time I had a list of how each child in the family was named in a North Carolina family.  Does anyone have that list?  I remember that the first son was named after his two grandfathers.  That practice was carried on to this day in my Nichols family.  The son named after his father (Jr.) was one of the later sons.

                    • Judy N. Lewis
                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 4, 2008
                        Naming Traditions:

                        First son:  father's father

                        Second son:  mother's father

                        Third son:  father

                        Fourth son:  father's oldest brother

                        Fifth son:  father's second oldest brother or mother's oldest brother

                        First daughter:  mother's mother

                        Second daughter:  father's mother

                        Third daughter:  mother

                        Fourth daughter:  mother's oldest sister

                        Fifth daughter:  mother's second oldest brother or father's oldest sister (I wondered why I have found two daughters by the name of William)

                        Middle name:  mother's maiden name of surnames of close friends

                        This info was found in the USGenWeb Archives
                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 4, 2008
                          Wow..Thats kinda confusing...I guess my family didnt follow the
                          system..Thank you for that info..Very helpful..
                          I am the oldest son of Vernon Washington Harris and Maddie Dail Harris...
                          My great Grandfather was Guilford Harris, my Grandfather was Pinkney
                          Harris..So they named me Guilfrord Pinkney Harris..
                          My father was born on George Washington's birthday so I guess thats the
                          reason for his name..
                          Guilford Harris

                          At one time I had a list of how each child in the family was named in a
                          North Carolina family. Does anyone have that list? I remember that the first
                          son was named after his two grandfathers. That practice was carried on to
                          this day in my Nichols family. The son named after his father (Jr.) was one
                          of the later sons.

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • Judy N. Lewis
                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 4, 2008
                            Yes, this is the whole list from these sources.

                            Judy

                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 5, 2008
                              Thank you very much!!!  In our family the first son was named after both grandfathers.  There might be another list.  It seems that on the list that I saw a few years back that first son was named after the two grandfathers.  I also remember along the line a child was named after a friend of the family.  I wonder why the different lists.  Maybe one list is English and the other Scottish or such.  My brother is named after his two grandfathers.  My uncle is also named after his two grandfathers.  There is always something to research.  A list like this could be a break through if the family consistantly uses a list to name the children.

                              At one time I had a list of how each child in the family was named in a
                              North Carolina family. Does anyone have that list? I remember that the first
                              son was named after his two grandfathers. That practice was carried on to
                              this day in my Nichols family. The son named after his father (Jr.) was one
                              of the later sons.

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                              you are interested in genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and all Eastern
                              and Coastal North Carolina counties.
                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Louise
                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 5, 2008

                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 5, 2008
                                  I've seen this traditional naming list for Scotland, and would guess that any families in North Carolina that used it were Scots immigrants. Even in such families, though, it would break down in some lines. Say a third son James, named for his father James, has children. His first son, named for his paternal grandfather, would be James also. And if the mother's father was also James, then the family really has to start looking elsewhere for names! A similar situation would arise with girls' names.I doubt that many, if any, families followed the pattern strictly for very long, however, it goes a long way toward explaining the confusion so many of us face with the same names appearing over and over in our genealogies, with mulitple cousins sharing the same name even in one generation!

                                  Margaret Lindsey Smith

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 6, 2008
                                    Dear Margaret,
                                    It certainly does, doesn't it. And what a problem
                                    it causes when two or more brothers give their sons
                                    the same name. What a genealogical nightmare!
                                    Later, Carol
                                    --- Margaret Smith <mlsmith67@...> wrote:

                                    > I've seen this traditional naming list for Scotland,
                                    > and would guess that any families in North Carolina
                                    > that used it were Scots immigrants. Even in such
                                    > families, though, it would break down in some lines.
                                    > Say a third son James, named for his father James,
                                    > has children. His first son, named for his paternal
                                    > grandfather, would be James also. And if the
                                    > mother's father was also James, then the family
                                    > really has to start looking elsewhere for names! A
                                    > similar situation would arise with girls' names.I
                                    > doubt that many, if any, families followed the
                                    > pattern strictly for very long, however, it goes a
                                    > long way toward explaining the confusion so many of
                                    > us face with the same names appearing over and over
                                    > in our genealogies, with mulitple cousins sharing
                                    > the same name even in one generation!
                                    >
                                    > Margaret Lindsey Smith

                                  • Louise
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Nov 7, 2008
                                      Thanks for your information.  Our family are Nichols or Nicholas.  I think my immigrant ancester came from England, but there are some relatives that think we are Scottish.  That means more work to come to be sure.  I really enjoy learning about our genealogy.  We have also done the DNA and have connected to earlier Nichols families.

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Nov 7, 2008
                                        Judy,
                                        Della Randolph, daughter of Chas R. Randolph, looks like she may be the Della Randolph [b:1859-1860], daughter of Ruthie Warren & Charles Adams Randolph.
                                        Eighteen for her wedding.

                                        Jesse Downs, son of Elizabeth "Betsy" Mayo & Kenyon Downs, Jr. [b:1824] and twin of Wiley, is about the right age to be the Groom.

                                        If R.A. Randolph, the daughter of C.A. Randolph, is also Annie Laura Randolph and Laura on the 1880 census, then her first name might be Ruth/Ruthie just like her mother...

                                        - - - - -

                                        Then C.A. Randolph & Chas R. Randolph are both Charles Adams Randolph, who had two wives: Ruthie Warren [should be on 1860 census] and Susan C. Jenkins [on 1880 census]
                                        That would make Della and Annie Laura full sisters!

                                        - - - - -

                                        Looking at the other posts, it's unclear what race the family is that we are trying to find?
                                        I've seen multiple incidences where neighboring families of different races naming their children similarly.
                                        Marcia

                                        "Judy N. Lewis" <jnlewis@...> wrote:

                                        From Allen Churchill''s Pitt County Bride Index:
                                        Della Randolph, daughter of Chas R. Randolph, married on 1/24/1878 Jesse Downs
                                        R. A. Randolph, daughter of C A Randolph, married on 2/17/1892 Bynum Teel

                                        .

                                      • Martha-Gay Morton
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Nov 8, 2008
                                          Judy and Marcia,
                                          I have DOWNS information, if you think this is the Della that married Jesse DOWNS.
                                          1878 24th January Jesse P. DOWNS [age 29] son of Kinyin and Elizabeth DOWNS marries Della Randolph [age 18] daughter of Charles A. and Rutha Randolph, Belvoir, NC.
                                          1880 Belvoir Post Office, Pitt County NC DOWNS, Jesse 30 WM, Deller 22 WF,
                                          Ruthy 1 WF. 1890 Census burned. 1900 Pitt County, Belvoir, DOWNS, Jesse 56 WM, Della 47 WF, Rutha 20 WF, Lucie 7 wf [neice]. Although Cannan [Kenyon] and Elizabeth DOWNS are named as heirs of Jacob MAYO 1849 January 11th, DB 'MM' page 252,
                                          Betty Cassidy and I are both convinced that Elizabeth's maiden name was BRILEY
                                          and not MAYO. Wiley and Jesse P. were twins. Unable to find death certificate for Jesse but Wiley's death certificate staes DOB February 14th 1844, Wiley's DOD August 27th 1935, age 91 years, 6 months, 14 days. Father: Kenyon Downs and Mother: Betsy Briley. Informant: S.V. Clark. Williams Funeral Home G'ville, buried Windham [Windom] Graveyard. [Do not know where this cemetery is located] Pitt Co Death Index Vol 22,
                                          page 468. Let me know what you think.
                                          Martha-Gay Morton

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Nov 8, 2008
                                            I have no research on the Randolph or Downs families and know nothing about these families as these are not a part of my family lines.  I was just throwing out some info.

                                            Judy

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Nov 9, 2008
                                              Martha,
                                              Thank you for sharing your info. I see you have done much research on this. Perhaps all of us working together will eake out the needed proof.

                                              Assuming Feb 14 as Jesse's birth info and he turned 30 three weeks after his marriage, his birthyear was 1848 [or 1849 if he anticipated his birthday]. Did he fibbed on his marriage certificate or was his twin's death certificate provided the wrong age. The proof would be the on the 1850 census. Looking it up, Willie & Jesse were 1 year old on 1950 census!

                                              Elizabeth's maiden name was BRILEY and not MAYO. Agreed! I had two husbands for Margaret and many children and was unsure which father was hers.
                                              Marcia

                                            • Martha-Gay Morton
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Nov 9, 2008
                                                Marcia,

                                                So glad to hear from you.

                                                I am not a descendant [that I know of] of either the Downs or the Mayos, but my Hopkins Family were neighbors and I have done extensive work on the Downs, not very much on the Mayos. Be very glad to share what I have.

                                                Wiley and Jesse's birthday is the real 64K dollar question. In 1850 they are 1; 1860 they are 10; 1870 they are 21; 1880 Wiley is 32 and Jesse is 30; 1890 is burned; 1900 Wiley
                                                is 59 and Jesse is 56; 1910 Wiley is 63. I have not found Jesse after 1900 so I just went with the age on Wiley's DC. Elizabeth and Kenyon Downs II [son of Kenyon I and Julia Ann Thomas] had the following children: Wiley, Jesse, Tillman G., Nehemiah Robert,
                                                John William, Arthur Melton, Winnie Elizabeth and James A. Kenyon II m. 2nd Martha Jane Shivers and they had Ann Eliza. I have only found 3 DC's: Wiley, Winnie Eliz. and John. Mother on all 3 is Eliz./Betsy Briley/Brilly.

                                                Although there is no smoking gun I feel certain that Kenyon I is son of Nehemiah Downs
                                                of Pitt County and his 1st wife, name unknown. [ND and my GGG-GF Arnold Hopkins had  a common land line on the Great Coneto Creek, very near Conetoe..

                                                I would be very happy to know the name of Margaret's first husband and the children. I have Jacob Mayo's children as: John [m. Appy Windom, d/o Isaiah Windom]] Bennet, Amos, Lewis, Nancy, Amy [not sure if she was a Mayo or a Briley, m.a Cobb], The
                                                Briley children were: Elizabeth [m. Kenyon Downs II], Elkany and Allen [he is listed in the 1850 as Mayo but in the DOL as Briley.

                                                Look forward to hearing from you.

                                                Martha-Gay MORTON

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Nov 9, 2008
                                                  Hi Martha,
                                                  I too am not a researcher for either family, but some of the descendants of my lateral lines have a Mayo connections. Originally, I was responding logically to data given by another.

                                                  The "rule of thumb" I use to resolve conflicting dates on reliable source(s) is to give preference to those records, which are closest to the actual event. Death certificates are primary sources for death dates, but secondary or tertiary for birth dates.

                                                  Research this morning indicates the data for 1850 - 1900 censuses were not only collected on Jun 1st, but were also based " as of Jun 1st " [not Jan 1st as I was thinking yesterday].

                                                  Here's my thoughts about twins, Jesse & Willy birth date:
                                                  1) They were born on Feb 14 based on Willy's death certificate. Most people and their families know on what month and day they are born!

                                                  2) They were born in 1849, based on the predominance of data that indicates that.
                                                  On 1 Jun 1950, they would be 16.5 months, whereas if they were born in 1848 they would be almost 30 months. Contributing thoughts are:

                                                  No new babies in the household to cause confusion;
                                                  Even if the information provider was unaware or uneducated, most can tell the difference between a 1 year old versus an older child;
                                                  With four children under 6, it was more likely mom was in the house when info was given.

                                                  In this case, the 1850 & 1860 census data agree with the 1849 year of birth.
                                                  Jesse's marriage certificate & 1870 census are only off by one year (they lost count?).
                                                  I am dismissive of later census data, as it may have been provided by a spouse or child, because he's out working.

                                                  I have to go out and do some shopping. I am planning to be on the east coast this next month. If I could check for info at Pitt County or elsewhere let me know. As soon as I have a firm schedule, I was thinking to be at a restaurant and send out "come and meet me" invites.
                                                  Sincerely, Marcia

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Nov 9, 2008
                                                    Marcia,

                                                    I live in Greenville, NC. If you are going to be in the neighborhood would like to meet you and talk genealogy. Also have some Deed info and glad to share. Let me know your schedule.

                                                    Martha-Gay