Chioa/Chicoan/Chicod

  • Bill Kittrell
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2008
      I found the mention of Chicoa quite interesting. Can't
      answer your questions, but thought I would just add
      some information.

      First there is a creek called Chicod Creek which leads
      from the southside of the Tar River just west of
      Grimesland. It travels several miles to become a
      boundary between Pitt and Beaufort counties.

      Second the Chicod School celebrated it 75th anniversary
      in 2004. Mary worked on a booklet about the school
      which listed the names of the graduating students.
      The Chicod yearbook was called the "Chicoan". The
      letters "oan" which means "belonging to", gave this an
      Indian association.

      In speaking to a college professor about this, he gave
      the following information. "Chicod is an English variation
      of an Indian name. The Tuscarora Indians were early
      inhabitants in this area. The creeks were giving Indian
      names. Cheecod was a name found on early maps".

      The 75th Anniversary book was about 50 pages. It
      listed graduating seniors from 1930 to 1970. Also
      a listing of teachers. History of the school also given.

      Bill