Re: [genpcncfir] Old NC Recipe/Smoke your own meats

  • Louise
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 24, 2008
      Thanks for the recipe.  Now I know what I saw in the ole smokehouse.  My sister said that she didn't remember exactly how the smoke was made but there was an open wood fire that made it smoky in there.  I'm sure the recipe was passed down from generation to generation.  I guess my Daddy didn't think his kids needed to know how to do it.  My Mama told me once that my Daddy would go to these meeting and that he would learn all kinds of things over there.  On auction day he had lots of thing for sell.  I loved the farm.

      From: Evelyn Hendricks <rebh@...>
      To: genpcncfir@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Monday, October 20, 2008, 11:19 AM

      Do you remember how the meat was smoked? I know my grandparents had a smoke
      house, but I have no idea how the meat was smoked. I know they had a shelf
      along one wall with a thick layer of salt on it-about three or four inches.
      It held such items as "fat-back", bacon, etc. sausage and hams hung
      from
      beams across the ceiling. But the actual process of the "curing" I
      cannot
      recall.

      Evelyn

      _____

      From: Evelyn Hendricks <rebh@... <mailto:rebh% 40ec.rr.com> >
      To: genpcncfir@yahoogro <mailto:genpcncfir% 40yahoogroups. com> ups.com
      Date: Saturday, October 18, 2008, 1:25 PM

      We used to soak fish in salt water to draw out the blood. I think people
      still soak freshly killed venison for the same reason. People grew their own
      chickens in our parents and grandparents days, and even in my own day. Even
      with the chicken bought at the store I have to sometimes soak it because it
      was still bloody.

      Evelyn

      _____

      From: genpcncfir@yahoogro <mailto:genpcncfir% 40yahoogroups. com> ups.com
      [mailto:genpcncfir@ yahoogro <mailto:genpcncfir% 40yahoogroups. com>
      ups.com]
      On
      Behalf Of Gil Harris
      Sent: Saturday, October 18, 2008 3:58 PM
      To: genpcncfir@yahoogro <mailto:genpcncfir% 40yahoogroups. com> ups.com

      I think the saltwater soak was because there were no refrigeration and if
      you notice with chicken after sitting out for a little while it will get
      kind of a film on it..
      Speaking of refrigeration. .I remember there was a well in Sarah Dail's
      front

      yard and when they milked the cow each day, the milk was put in a metal can
      and lowered in the well on a chain because the water temp was around high
      40's..On Saturday the can was emptied and the cream was saved to make
      butter

      and the left over milk was fed to the pigs with their slop..
      Sorry about the long chat..But the memories keep rolling in and it's nice

      pass them on..
      I have a young daughter and when I start talking about my North Carolina
      days she says here comes another boring story..Someday she will wish that
      she would listen to us "old" folks..I worked for 37years in a New
      York State

      mental institution and I have written about 30 pages about my working days
      there. Also about my Navy days..Just in case she wants to read about it
      someday..
      From: Carol Singh <csinghworthington@
      <mailto:csinghworth ington%40yahoo. com>
      yahoo.com>
      To: genpcncfir@yahoogro <mailto:genpcncfir% 40yahoogroups. com> ups.com
      Cc: "Carol B. Singh" <CSinghWorthington@
      <mailto:CSinghWorth ington%40Yahoo. com> Yahoo.com>
      Date: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 7:41 AM

      Dear Paula,
      Mama always fried her chicken on top of the stove
      until the late 1950's when we moved to Virginia and
      Shake and Bake came out. Even then, if we laid on the
      compliments we would be rewarded with a plateful of
      her traditional fried chicken. That chicken is also
      what we always requested for every picnic and "do"
      where we were asked to contribute a dish.
      Here's our secret family recipe. Mama used lard
      from our own farm-raised hogs for frying.
      Additionally, she dipped her chicken pieces in
      evaporated milk and then rolled them in flour seasoned
      lightly with salt and pepper and a tablespoon of corn
      meal ground from our own farm-raised corn, before
      plopping them into the black cast iron frying pan. She
      always preheated the pan, used just enough lard, kept
      the heat on medium to cook the chicken through and the
      lid on the frying pan throughout the cooking.
      One additional note: she always used frying-sized
      chickens that we had raised instead of, as she put it,
      a "tough old bird."
      Later, Carol
      --- Paula Baker <paulabaker69@ <mailto:paulabaker6 9%40yahoo. com>
      yahoo.com>
      wrote:

      > My father told me that his mother fried chicken
      > somehow on top the stove, but without deep grease
      > the way we normally do in the South. It was sort of
      > a fricasseed chicken. Does this sound familiar to
      > any of you? My father lived in Pitt County. His
      > mother was a Manning.
      > Paula Baker
      > Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in
      > Georgia, South Carolina, and Louisiana and
      > Baker, Tyson, Manning, and Stocks in North Carolina
      >

      > "We are not free, separate, and independent
      > entities, but like links in a chain, and we could
      > not by any means be what we are without those who
      > went before us and showed us the way."
      >

      > Thomas Mann

      ------------ --------- --------- ------

      Pitt County Historical Society:
      http://www.pittcoun <http://www.pittcoun
      <http://www.pittcoun tyhistoricalsoci ety.com/>
      tyhistoricalsociety .com/>
      tyhistoricalsociety .com/

      information:
      http://groups. <http://groups.
      <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/genpcncfir /files/>

      http://photos. <http://photos.
      <http://photos. groups.yahoo. com/group/ genpcncfir/ lst>
      groups.yahoo. com/group/ genpcncfir/ lst>
      groups.yahoo. com/group/ genpcncfir/ lst

      http://www.usgennet
      <http://www.usgennet
      <http://www.usgennet .org/usa/ nc/county/ pitt/Chronicles% 20Flyer%20Feb03.
      htm>
      .org/usa/nc/ county/pitt/ Chronicles% 20Flyer%20Feb03. htm>
      .org/usa/nc/ county/pitt/ Chronicles% 20Flyer%20Feb03. htm

      http://www.usgennet <http://www.usgennet
      <http://www.usgennet .org/usa/ nc/county/ pitt/>
      .org/usa/nc/ county/pitt/ >
      .org/usa/nc/ county/pitt/

      http://www.rootsweb <http://www.rootsweb
      <http://www.rootsweb .com/~ncpcfr/>
      .com/~ncpcfr/ > .com/~ncpcfr/

      Eastern
      and Coastal North Carolina counties.
      GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In Research
      http://groups. <http://groups.
      <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/genpcncfir>
      yahoo.com/group/ genpcncfir>
      yahoo.com/group/ genpcncfir
      Yahoo! Groups Links

      ------------ --------- --------- ------

      http://mail. <http://mail. yahoo.com> yahoo.com

      Pitt County Historical Society:
      http://www.pittcoun tyhistoricalsoci ety.com/

      information:
      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/genpcncfir /files/

      http://photos. groups.yahoo. com/group/ genpcncfir/ lst

      http://www.usgennet .org/usa/ nc/county/ pitt/Chronicles% 20Flyer%20Feb03. htm

      http://www.usgennet .org/usa/ nc/county/ pitt/

      http://www.rootsweb .com/~ncpcfr/

      you are interested in genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and all Eastern