Old NC Recipe

    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 10, 2008
      My father told me that his mother fried chicken somehow on top the stove, but without deep grease the way we normally do in the South.  It was sort of a fricasseed chicken.  Does this sound familiar to any of you?  My father lived in Pitt County.  His mother was a Manning.
       Paula Baker

      Thomas Mann

    • Evelyn Hendricks
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 10, 2008
        It sounds like the way I used to fry chicken. I washed the meat, salted and
        peppered it, then rolled it in flour. (enough to make a thick coating) Do
        this while the chicken is still wet from the washing. The grease in the
        heavy iron pan was never more than an inch deep-sometimes only a half inch
        or even less. The chicken pieces were dropped in the hot fat, allowed to
        brown on one side. Then turn it gently with a fork. If possible do not poke
        the fork into the meat. Brown that side. Lower the heat to medium or low,
        cover with a lid and cook about ten minutes. Turn again and cook the other
        side for about ten minutes. Time varies according to the size of the chicken
        and how crowded the pan. Keep a close watch on it. It should be very brown
        but not burned.

        I hope this is what you are looking for.

        By the way, I tried using a deep fat fryer one time, and did not like it
        near as well.

        Evelyn

        _____

        My father told me that his mother fried chicken somehow on top the stove,
        but without deep grease the way we normally do in the South. It was sort of
        a fricasseed chicken. Does this sound familiar to any of you? My father
        lived in Pitt County. His mother was a Manning.
        Paula Baker
        Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in Georgia, South Carolina,
        and Louisiana and

        "We are not free, separate, and independent entities, but like links in a
        chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went
        before us and showed us the way."

        Thomas Mann

      • Lorraine Peckham
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 10, 2008
          Hello Paula,My mother fried chicken on top on stove in a big iron cast frying pan,She would just put a little grease in the pan,because the chicken parts would raise the grease up in the pan.I learned to fry chicken this way.You had to be very carefuly not to get the pan to hot,because the chicken would burn.My grand mother did it the same way.It was handed down recipe.I am gald people still remember how chicken was once cooked,Happy day,Lorraine Peckham,(Family was from washington county,nc-Mackeys,Pleasant Grove,near Roper,nc)

          Paula Baker <paulabaker69@...> wrote: My father told me that his mother fried chicken somehow on top the stove, but without deep grease the way we normally do in the South. It was sort of a fricasseed chicken. Does this sound familiar to any of you? My father lived in Pitt County. His mother was a Manning.
          Paula Baker
        • Bryan Kemp
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 11, 2008
            Was wondering iF anyone had any old Beaman Family Recipe they could email me?

            Hello Paula,My mother fried chicken on top on stove in a big iron cast frying pan,She would just put a little grease in the pan,because the chicken parts would raise the grease up in the pan.I learned to fry chicken this way.You had to be very carefuly not to get the pan to hot,because the chicken would burn.My grand mother did it the same way.It was handed down recipe.I am gald people still remember how chicken was once cooked,Happy day,Lorraine Peckham,(Family was from washington county,nc-Mackeys, Pleasant Grove,near Roper,nc)

            Paula Baker <paulabaker69@ yahoo.com> wrote: My father told me that his mother fried chicken somehow on top the stove, but without deep grease the way we normally do in the South. It was sort of a fricasseed chicken. Does this sound familiar to any of you? My father lived in Pitt County. His mother was a Manning.

            Paula Baker

          • Gil Harris
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 11, 2008
              I learned to make fried chicken from my grandmother, Sarah Dail when I was a
              kid growing up in Ernul,NC
              She cut the chicken in 8 pieces,soaked the chicken in salt water for a
              while. Took self rising flour with lots of black pepper,coated it very
              well,let it rest for a while,fried it in lard in a cast iron frying pan.
              People today say that lard is bad for you, but if you make fried chicken
              once a month, you might have a couple tablespoon of lard in your system
              after a year.
              By the way..I make it about one time a month, with mashed potatoes with
              gravy made from the used lard,fresh green beans, and home made biscuits and
              I serve iced tea with lots of sugar..all are invited..
              Thanks for the memories..
              Guilford Harris

            • bonnpip@aol.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 11, 2008
                Oh my gosh! I grew up on my mom's chicken made that way! She made it
                almost every Sunday. (roots are through my dad ---- through Rhoda Harris). I
                just somehow could never make it as good as she did----but I think it was the
                memories she put into it that made it so good! Thanks for the memories Gil.

                Bonnie Piper
                Smith, Parker, Harris roots

                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 13, 2008
                  A big thank you to everyone who replied.
                  Paula Baker

                  Thomas Mann

                • Faye Silliman
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 13, 2008
                    The difference is the cast iron pan. Works well with
                    olive oil.
                  • Evelyn Spangler Brothers
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 13, 2008
                      Yes! This is the way my mom fried chicken too. The salt water soaking and the cast iron skillet are what makes the difference. I don't think she used lots of black pepper though, but she did use whichever flour was on hand. Yum, yum, what great memories.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 16, 2008
                        Dear Paula,
                        Mama always fried her chicken on top of the stove
                        until the late 1950's when we moved to Virginia and
                        Shake and Bake came out. Even then, if we laid on the
                        compliments we would be rewarded with a plateful of
                        her traditional fried chicken. That chicken is also
                        what we always requested for every picnic and "do"
                        where we were asked to contribute a dish.
                        Here's our secret family recipe. Mama used lard
                        from our own farm-raised hogs for frying.
                        Additionally, she dipped her chicken pieces in
                        evaporated milk and then rolled them in flour seasoned
                        lightly with salt and pepper and a tablespoon of corn
                        meal ground from our own farm-raised corn, before
                        plopping them into the black cast iron frying pan. She
                        always preheated the pan, used just enough lard, kept
                        the heat on medium to cook the chicken through and the
                        lid on the frying pan throughout the cooking.
                        One additional note: she always used frying-sized
                        chickens that we had raised instead of, as she put it,
                        a "tough old bird."

                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 16, 2008
                          Dear Evelyn & Gil,
                          The secret to green beans and collards is to boil
                          them, drain the water, refrigerate them overnight, get
                          out that cast iron frying pan, put in a couple of
                          tablespoons of bacon grease, heat that pan to medium
                          heat, put the cooked vegetable in the pan, cover it,
                          and let the contents warm up before turning the heat
                          to simmer. Let them simmer a couple of minutes to
                          absorb the flavor of the bacon grease, and serve them
                          up.
                          Fresh hot buttered biscuits or corn bread, iced tea
                          or coffee, and it's a feast fit for a king.
                          Carol
                          --- Evelyn Spangler Brothers

                        • Louise
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 16, 2008
                            That is the way to cook chicken, but I didn't know about the saltwater soak.  I'm going to try that.  When I got married in 1969 my mother took me to the store to look at the pots and pans.  She ask me which would I like round or square.  She bought each of her four girls an iron skillet.  I learned about "Shake and Bake", but I though everybody made chicken like Mama did.  Out here in California though they even put their gravy over chunked potatoes.  My California grown husband now loved fried chicken, mashed potatoes with ice tea.  He couldn't believe it when I mashed my potatoes for potato salad and served it warm.  But he now perfers mashed all around.

                            Mama always fried her chicken on top of the stove
                            until the late 1950's when we moved to Virginia and
                            Shake and Bake came out. Even then, if we laid on the
                            compliments we would be rewarded with a plateful of
                            her traditional fried chicken. That chicken is also
                            what we always requested for every picnic and "do"
                            where we were asked to contribute a dish.
                            Here's our secret family recipe. Mama used lard
                            from our own farm-raised hogs for frying.
                            Additionally, she dipped her chicken pieces in
                            evaporated milk and then rolled them in flour seasoned
                            lightly with salt and pepper and a tablespoon of corn
                            meal ground from our own farm-raised corn, before
                            plopping them into the black cast iron frying pan. She
                            always preheated the pan, used just enough lard, kept
                            the heat on medium to cook the chicken through and the
                            lid on the frying pan throughout the cooking.
                            One additional note: she always used frying-sized
                            chickens that we had raised instead of, as she put it,
                            a "tough old bird."

                            > My father told me that his mother fried chicken
                            > somehow on top the stove, but without deep grease
                            > the way we normally do in the South.  It was sort of
                            > a fricasseed chicken.  Does this sound familiar to
                            > any of you?  My father lived in Pitt County.  His
                            > mother was a Manning.
                            >  Paula Baker
                            > Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in
                            > Georgia, South Carolina, and Louisiana and
                            > Baker, Tyson, Manning, and Stocks in North Carolina
                            >

                            > "We are not free, separate, and independent
                            > entities, but like links in a chain, and we could
                            > not by any means be what we are without those who
                            > went before us and showed us the way."
                            >

                            > Thomas Mann

                            you are interested in genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and all Eastern
                            and Coastal North Carolina counties.
                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 17, 2008
                              When y'all are doing your genealogy, don't forget to add the recipes in.  They will die out with us if we don't.
                               Paula Baker

                              Thomas Mann

                              ________________________________
[...]

                              Later, Carol
                              --- Paula Baker <paulabaker69@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                              > My father told me that his mother fried chicken
                              > somehow on top the stove, but without deep grease
                              > the way we normally do in the South.  It was sort of
                              > a fricasseed chicken.  Does this sound familiar to
                              > any of you?  My father lived in Pitt County.  His
                              > mother was a Manning.
                              >  Paula Baker
                              > Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in
                              > Georgia, South Carolina, and Louisiana and
                              > Baker, Tyson, Manning, and Stocks in North Carolina
                              >

                              > "We are not free, separate, and independent
                              > entities, but like links in a chain, and we could
                              > not by any means be what we are without those who
                              > went before us and showed us the way."
                              >

                              > Thomas Mann

                              ------------ --------- --------- ------

                              Pitt County Historical Society:
                              http://www.pittcoun tyhistoricalsoci ety.com/

                              information:
                              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/genpcncfir /files/

                              http://photos. groups.yahoo. com/group/ genpcncfir/ lst

                              http://www.usgennet .org/usa/ nc/county/ pitt/Chronicles% 20Flyer%20Feb03. htm

                              http://www.usgennet .org/usa/ nc/county/ pitt/

                              http://www.rootsweb .com/~ncpcfr/

                              you are interested in genealogy discussion and research in Pitt and all Eastern
                              and Coastal North Carolina counties.
                              GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In Research

                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 18, 2008
                                I think the saltwater soak was because there were no refrigeration and if
                                you notice with chicken after sitting out for a little while it will get
                                kind of a film on it..
                                Speaking of refrigeration..I remember there was a well in Sarah Dail's front
                                yard and when they milked the cow each day, the milk was put in a metal can
                                and lowered in the well on a chain because the water temp was around high
                                40's..On Saturday the can was emptied and the cream was saved to make butter
                                and the left over milk was fed to the pigs with their slop..
                                Sorry about the long chat..But the memories keep rolling in and it's nice to
                                pass them on..
                                I have a young daughter and when I start talking about my North Carolina
                                days she says here comes another boring story..Someday she will wish that
                                she would listen to us "old" folks..I worked for 37years in a New York State
                                mental institution and I have written about 30 pages about my working days
                                there. Also about my Navy days..Just in case she wants to read about it
                                someday..

                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 18, 2008
                                  We used to soak fish in salt water to draw out the blood. I think people
                                  still soak freshly killed venison for the same reason. People grew their own
                                  chickens in our parents and grandparents days, and even in my own day. Even
                                  with the chicken bought at the store I have to sometimes soak it because it
                                  was still bloody.

                                  Evelyn

                                  _____

                                  From: Carol Singh <csinghworthington@ <mailto:csinghworthington%40yahoo.com>
                                  yahoo.com>
                                  To: genpcncfir@yahoogro <mailto:genpcncfir%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com
                                  Cc: "Carol B. Singh" <CSinghWorthington@
                                  <mailto:CSinghWorthington%40Yahoo.com> Yahoo.com>
                                  Date: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 7:41 AM

                                  Dear Paula,
                                  --- Paula Baker <paulabaker69@ <mailto:paulabaker69%40yahoo.com> yahoo.com>
                                  wrote:

                                  > My father told me that his mother fried chicken
                                  > somehow on top the stove, but without deep grease
                                  > the way we normally do in the South. It was sort of
                                  > a fricasseed chicken. Does this sound familiar to
                                  > any of you? My father lived in Pitt County. His
                                  > mother was a Manning.
                                  > Paula Baker
                                  > Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in
                                  > Georgia, South Carolina, and Louisiana and
                                  > Baker, Tyson, Manning, and Stocks in North Carolina
                                  >

                                  > "We are not free, separate, and independent
                                  > entities, but like links in a chain, and we could
                                  > not by any means be what we are without those who
                                  > went before us and showed us the way."
                                  >

                                  > Thomas Mann

                                  yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir/files/

                                  groups.yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir/lst

                                  http://www.usgennet
                                  <http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm>
                                  .org/usa/nc/county/pitt/Chronicles%20Flyer%20Feb03.htm

                                  http://www.usgennet <http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nc/county/pitt/>
                                  .org/usa/nc/county/pitt/

                                  http://www.rootsweb <http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr/> .com/~ncpcfr/

                                  Eastern
                                  and Coastal North Carolina counties.
                                  GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In Research
                                  http://groups. <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir>
                                  yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir
                                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 19, 2008
                                    We lived on the farm until I was ten.  Daddy had to save a lot of money to pay to have electricical wires strung out to the farm.  One of the things I remember was my Daddy's smokehouse.  Canning and smoking food was hard work.  He and a neighbor would kill a pig or cow and put it in the smokehouse.  There is a lot of memories there, but one was of a big barrel of salt water that he put large pieces of pork in.  It sat right inside of the smokehouse door.  When the water was gone I guess the meat was perserved.  With no electricity we had no refrigerater and being so far from town we had no ice for an icebox. But they never seem to have any trouble without either.  All food was cooked and eaten that day with no leftovers to have for a snack.  Maybe that was why the ole timers weren't over weight.

                                    From: Carol Singh <csinghworthington@
                                    <mailto:csinghworthington%40yahoo.com>
                                    yahoo.com>
                                    To: genpcncfir@yahoogro <mailto:genpcncfir%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com
                                    Cc: "Carol B. Singh" <CSinghWorthington@
                                    <mailto:CSinghWorthington%40Yahoo.com> Yahoo.com>
                                    Date: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 7:41 AM

                                    Dear Paula,

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 20, 2008
                                      Do you remember how the meat was smoked? I know my grandparents had a smoke
                                      house, but I have no idea how the meat was smoked. I know they had a shelf
                                      along one wall with a thick layer of salt on it-about three or four inches.
                                      It held such items as "fat-back", bacon, etc. sausage and hams hung from
                                      beams across the ceiling. But the actual process of the "curing" I cannot
                                      recall.

                                      Evelyn

                                      _____

                                      From: Carol Singh <csinghworthington@
                                      <mailto:csinghworthington%40yahoo.com>
                                      yahoo.com>
                                      To: genpcncfir@yahoogro <mailto:genpcncfir%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com
                                      Cc: "Carol B. Singh" <CSinghWorthington@
                                      <mailto:CSinghWorthington%40Yahoo.com> Yahoo.com>
                                      Date: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 7:41 AM

                                      Dear Paula,
                                      wrote:

                                      > My father told me that his mother fried chicken
                                      > somehow on top the stove, but without deep grease
                                      > the way we normally do in the South. It was sort of
                                      > a fricasseed chicken. Does this sound familiar to
                                      > any of you? My father lived in Pitt County. His
                                      > mother was a Manning.
                                      > Paula Baker
                                      > Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in
                                      > Georgia, South Carolina, and Louisiana and
                                      > Baker, Tyson, Manning, and Stocks in North Carolina
                                      >

                                      > "We are not free, separate, and independent
                                      > entities, but like links in a chain, and we could
                                      > not by any means be what we are without those who
                                      > went before us and showed us the way."
                                      >

                                      > Thomas Mann

                                      ------------------------------------

                                      Pitt County Historical Society:
                                      http://www.pittcoun <http://www.pittcoun
                                      <http://www.pittcountyhistoricalsociety.com/> tyhistoricalsociety.com/>
                                      tyhistoricalsociety.com/

                                      information:
                                      http://groups. <http://groups.

                                      http://photos. <http://photos.

                                      http://www.rootsweb <http://www.rootsweb <http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncpcfr/>
                                      .com/~ncpcfr/> .com/~ncpcfr/

                                      Eastern
                                      and Coastal North Carolina counties.
                                      GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends In Research
                                      http://groups. <http://groups. <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir>
                                      yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir>
                                      yahoo.com/group/genpcncfir
                                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      ------------------------------------

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 21, 2008
                                        There was some kind of fire in the smokehouse that caused it to smoke.  I always thought that the smoke somehow sealed and cured it.  I guess different wood or whatever makes different flavors.  My sister probably knows just how the fire was kept and how the temperature was regulated.  I'll ask her tomorrow.  Her husband made a small smokehouse out of an old refridgerater for his father and it worked.  So am sure that that brought back a lot of memories for her.

                                        From: genpcncfir@yahoogro <mailto:genpcncfir%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com

                                        From: Carol Singh <csinghworthington@
                                        <mailto:csinghworthington%40yahoo.com>
                                        yahoo.com>
                                        To: genpcncfir@yahoogro <mailto:genpcncfir%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com
                                        Cc: "Carol B. Singh" <CSinghWorthington@
                                        <mailto:CSinghWorthington%40Yahoo.com> Yahoo.com>
                                        Date: Thursday, October 16, 2008, 7:41 AM

                                        Dear Paula,

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Oct 23, 2008
                                          Dear Louise,
                                          Mama did the salt water soak only for fish, never
                                          for chicken.
                                          So, this is news I can use.
                                          Thanks, Carol