Re: [genpcncfir] Wootem, Forbes, Roach, Murphy, Johnson of Pitt Co., N.C.

  • James A. Miller Jr.
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 15, 2008
      Wm. Blount Murphy was the brother of my Wm. Spencer Murphy. I'd like to learn more about Rigney Murphy?

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 15, 2008
        Wow! Your link. Forgot about Guilford Murphy. The Pitt Co. Heritage Book (first volume, if there is a second one now) features an article on the Murphys. Also about 50 letters exist from the family from circa the 1750's to 1830's. In them, horse races with Richard Blacklege, the Blounts, et al, are mentioned. The old Shade Wooten home (moved 600 yards by slaves on greased logs). Jim Wooten, former head of FBI counter-intelligence, was the last Wooten born in it. On the Pitt Co., Vanceboro Road, it is between St. John's Epis. church and the Craven Co. line. In a field near the home, the small Murphy cemetery, fallen stones supposedly still lay flat beneath the soil. Encamped Yankee soldiers had pulled up the stones to make bread baking ovens (stones still show smoke?). Jim had Shade's and Eliza's stones, but not graves; removed to St. John's cemetery. Three decades ago the young daughter of farmer Taylor showed me the small house. She was kin to the beloved first wife (Julia Taylor?) of Shade's son, Epis. Rev. Edward Wooten, Sgt. & Lt., CSA. The N.C. book on Confederate woman, says Mrs. Eliza Murphy Wooten gave five sons to the cause. I have her quaint photo of her in bonnet and apron, on my wall. The outside steps to the kitchen behind Shade's home, as a bottom step, has a small millstone. Likely this was from Johnson's Mills, once the postal address of the area? Shade allegedly descended Shadrack Johnson,. I descend Rev. Wooten's second wife, Mrs. Eliza Yonge Jewett Wooten, of Wilmington.
        Jim Miller, Southport, N.C.

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 16, 2008
          Jim - RE: the Murphy Family letters you mentioned below from 1750's
          to 1830's, do you happen to know if they have been transcribed and if
          so, where we can take a look at them? Letters from that time period
          often hold a lot of clues about links between extended families and
          neighbors, and it's unusual to have such a large number of letters
          together from one family from that time period. If the original
          letters still exist, there are several heritage collections (ECU's
          and UNC's are the first to come to mind) that have the resources to
          preserve and document them for posterity. If a family member still
          owns them and wants to keep them, that's understandable, but it would
          be great if the transcriptions could be made available for
          researchers to read and glean from them. Pls let us know!
          Your distant cousin,
          Bob Forbes

          --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "James A. Miller Jr."

        • amaryllish@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 16, 2008
            I too would love to be ableto read these letters also. My Murphey is Jack
            Murphey born about 1809-1810 Greene County married Winneford Unknown and had
            three children that I know of. Nancy born 1834 Greene County, NC married Jacob
            Wainwright, James born 1835-36 Greene County married Ally Wainwright and
            Jackann born 1838 Greene County. I do not know what happened to Jackann. My
            Father Jack Wainwright was named for his Great grandfather Jack Murphey. Any info
            on this family would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Amy W. Hunt

          • James A. Miller Jr.
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 16, 2008
              Greetings, I'd just posted, as your missive arrived electronically through the ether. Jim