Murphy of Pitt Co., NC

  • Marcia McLawhorn
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 15, 2008
      Jim,
      Trish Worthington Cobb posted some info on this family. See link
      http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/NC-PCFR/2002-03/1016073534
      Marcia

      "James A. Miller Jr." <focusoninfinity@...> wrote: All I know is he was the brother of my Wm. Spencer Murphy who's farm adjoined Blount Hall. The Murphys often dined at the Jacob Blounts, and Spencer was the witness on Jacob's will. Jim Miller Their sister was Wilhelmina "Billie" Murphy, the children of Capt. Wm. Murphy, rhe brother of John Murphy, Jr., Capt. Jethro Murphy, Capt. Michael Murphy, and somehow kin to Rigney Murphy.

      .

    • Ruth Fentress
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 15, 2008
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 15, 2008
          There is a William Murphrey(Murphy) who married Polly Edwards & lived in Washington Co., GA. Polly was a granddaughter of Benjamin Best I. See the will of Best in The History of Greene Co. by Wm Creech, pg 682.
          Sally, sister of Polly Edwards, married John Heath. The sisters and husbands were in Washington Co., GA.
          They were daughters of Cullen Edwards of Greene Co.,NC, & his deceased Best wife, her first name unknown to me. I've wondered if Wm. Murphy's middle name was Blount. Do you think it was ?

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 15, 2008

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 15, 2008
[...]

            • James A. Miller Jr.
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 15, 2008
                Wm. Blount Murphy was the brother of my Wm. Spencer Murphy. I'd like to learn more about Rigney Murphy?

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 15, 2008
                  Wow! Your link. Forgot about Guilford Murphy. The Pitt Co. Heritage Book (first volume, if there is a second one now) features an article on the Murphys. Also about 50 letters exist from the family from circa the 1750's to 1830's. In them, horse races with Richard Blacklege, the Blounts, et al, are mentioned. The old Shade Wooten home (moved 600 yards by slaves on greased logs). Jim Wooten, former head of FBI counter-intelligence, was the last Wooten born in it. On the Pitt Co., Vanceboro Road, it is between St. John's Epis. church and the Craven Co. line. In a field near the home, the small Murphy cemetery, fallen stones supposedly still lay flat beneath the soil. Encamped Yankee soldiers had pulled up the stones to make bread baking ovens (stones still show smoke?). Jim had Shade's and Eliza's stones, but not graves; removed to St. John's cemetery. Three decades ago the young daughter of farmer Taylor showed me the small house. She was kin to the beloved first wife (Julia Taylor?) of Shade's son, Epis. Rev. Edward Wooten, Sgt. & Lt., CSA. The N.C. book on Confederate woman, says Mrs. Eliza Murphy Wooten gave five sons to the cause. I have her quaint photo of her in bonnet and apron, on my wall. The outside steps to the kitchen behind Shade's home, as a bottom step, has a small millstone. Likely this was from Johnson's Mills, once the postal address of the area? Shade allegedly descended Shadrack Johnson,. I descend Rev. Wooten's second wife, Mrs. Eliza Yonge Jewett Wooten, of Wilmington.
                  Jim Miller, Southport, N.C.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 16, 2008
                    Jim - RE: the Murphy Family letters you mentioned below from 1750's
                    to 1830's, do you happen to know if they have been transcribed and if
                    so, where we can take a look at them? Letters from that time period
                    often hold a lot of clues about links between extended families and
                    neighbors, and it's unusual to have such a large number of letters
                    together from one family from that time period. If the original
                    letters still exist, there are several heritage collections (ECU's
                    and UNC's are the first to come to mind) that have the resources to
                    preserve and document them for posterity. If a family member still
                    owns them and wants to keep them, that's understandable, but it would
                    be great if the transcriptions could be made available for
                    researchers to read and glean from them. Pls let us know!
                    Your distant cousin,
                    Bob Forbes

                    --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "James A. Miller Jr."

                  • amaryllish@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 16, 2008
                      I too would love to be ableto read these letters also. My Murphey is Jack
                      Murphey born about 1809-1810 Greene County married Winneford Unknown and had
                      three children that I know of. Nancy born 1834 Greene County, NC married Jacob
                      Wainwright, James born 1835-36 Greene County married Ally Wainwright and
                      Jackann born 1838 Greene County. I do not know what happened to Jackann. My
                      Father Jack Wainwright was named for his Great grandfather Jack Murphey. Any info
                      on this family would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Amy W. Hunt

                    • James A. Miller Jr.
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 16, 2008
                        Greetings, I'd just posted, as your missive arrived electronically through the ether. Jim