Re: [genpcncfir] THOMAS DOWNS

  • Bill & Gayle Arnold
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2008
      To Marthagay Morton -

      I can't answer your questions. But your Thomas Downs and my Thomas,
      William, and James Arnold must have known each other. William was born of
      Thomas in 1759 in Beaufort County. Thomas died in Pitt County about 1786.
      They lived in the area just south of Grimesland. William and James moved to
      Georgia about 1815.

      Bill Arnold
      Birmingham, Alabama

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
        In 1832 he was 76 years old.  Sending you the Revolutionary War file separately.
         Paula Baker

        Thomas Mann

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 2008
          THANKS PAULA! I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING THE REV WAR FILE. PS I LIKE
          YOUR QUOTE!
          REGARDS, MARTHAGAY

          --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Paula Baker <paulabaker69@...>
          wrote:

          > In 1832 he was 76 years old.  Sending you the Revolutionary War
          file separately.
          >  Paula Baker
          > Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in Georgia, South
          Carolina, and Louisiana and
          > Baker, Tyson, Manning, and Stocks in North Carolina
          >

          > "We are not free, separate, and independent entities, but like
          links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are
          without those who went before us and showed us the way."

          > Thomas Mann

        • Martha-Gay Morton
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 10, 2008
            Hi Bill & Gayle
            Thank you for responding to my querry.
            Could you please tell me how you determined that Thomas Downs of Beaufort Co was father of your William born 1759 who moved to Ga.? And how did you determine Thomas' aproximate date of death in 1786?
            Where near Grimeland was your Thomas' land?
            Do you have a Deed reference or a description of his property?
            How did your Thomas sign his name?
            The reason I am asking these questions is that there are several lineages naming Thomas Downs of Pitt County as their progentor. I am just trying to figure out who the Thomas Downs I described in my querry belongs to.
            Whatever information you can share will be much appreciated.
            Regards,

            marthagay.morton@ yahoo.com> wrote:

            > I AM TRYING TO DETERMINE AN APROXIMATE AGE FOR THOMAS DOWNS. SERVED IN
            > NC MILITIA NEWBERN DISTRICT REVOLUTIONARY WAR. WHAT COUNTIES DID
            > NEWBERN DISTRICT COVER? DO ANY OF THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR RECORDS GIVE
            > AGE? THOMAS DOWNS WAS LISTED AS DELINQUENT AND INSOLVENT IN PITT COUNTY
            > 1768 AND 1769 [FOR 1 POLL]. BOUGHT AND SOLD LAND IN PITT AND BEAUFORT
            > COUNTIES NC FROM 1773~1793. HE WAS NOT ENUMERATED IN THE 1790 CENSUS.
            > ANY HELP-SUGGESTIONS GREATLY APPRECIATED.
            > MARTHA-GAY MORTON

          • Bill & Gayle Arnold
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 11, 2008
              Martha Gay -

              I'm sorry I was not clear. My Thomas was Thomas *Arnold*. Two of his sons
              were William and James. William fought in the Revolution and James was my
              ancestor. They all had farms just south of Grimesland.

              Bill Arnold