Robinson / Roberson & Jones families

  • Darlene Whitfield
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 14, 2008
      GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends in ResearchHi All,
      I am trying to research my Roberson / Robinson family that were from Greene Co. My great-grandfather was James "Fertinand" Robinson who married Eliza Jones. He is the son of Thomas Roberson & Mary "Clark" (who was from Pitt Co.) They lived in Greene Co. for many, many years. Eliza was the daughter of Aligood Jones. His father is Guardner Jones. The name Guardner is one that runs in the family well, there are several between original, son, grandson, nephews, etc. I have also seen where Eliza's sister, Martha (I think) married Cornelius Davis, and then later a Puryear.

      Ist there anyone researchings these two families that were from Greene Co. I have no idea where the family scattered to, except that my branch moved to Craven Co. to the Askins area around the 1910's to 1920's, which is where the majority of the children settled. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks!
      Darlene Drake Whitfield
      Researching - Roberson / Robinson; Jones; Nobles; McLawhorn; Moore; Ward; McCoy; Avery; Hawkins; and it seems like the rest of the world!

    • Brenda Stocks
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 14, 2008
        Hey Darlene,

        My line is from Cornelius Davis and second wife Lourana Stocks. Cornelius Davis' parents were Jesse T Davis and Martha Jones, daughter of Gardner and Bethania Jones. After Lourana's death Cornelius did marry Martha Jones, daughter of Alligood Jones. They had three daughters. Cornelius Davis died in 1899 and his wife Martha married I.J. Puryear.

        I would love to discuss this with you further...I have lots of gaps around Gardner Jones and Bethania. Let me get back to you in the next day or so....I have an appointment I have to leave for right now. I want to look over what I have , too, on the Gardner Jones line.

        Brenda Davis Stocks

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 16, 2008
          Was your Eliza Jones married several times?  Did she have a Baker child?  Maybe a Wiley Franklin Baker who was called Frank?  I don't think they are the same person, but thought I'd throw it out.
           Paula Baker

          Thomas Mann

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 16, 2008
            Darlene,
            First, I'd noticed this name.
            If James "Fertinand" Robinson is James "Ferdinand" Robinson and died during the Civil War, this may be a report of his death.

            A SOLDIER'S STORY: PRISON LIFE AND OTHER INCIDENTS IN THE WAR OF 1861-'65. BY MILES O. SHERRILL, Of Catawba County, - North Carolina. A SOLDIER'S STORY.

            "When I reached home I soon learned that many who were living on the 9th of May, 1864, when we made that charge, had been numbered with the dead. Among others was my nephew, James Ferdinand Robinson, a young man a few months younger than myself, a great favorite in the company, full of humor and wit. He was a sharp-shooter, and was found dead on the 12th of May, 1864, by Frank Turbyfield, of the Twenty-third Regiment. After the fighting on the morning of the 9th, he wrote a letter in pencil to his father, Marion Robinson, in which he stated: “My Uncle Miles was killed in the charge made early this morning.” Two days later he was killed. I got home to read his letter relative to my death; but he, poor fellow, was gone. I have not seen the letter since 1865; so I only quote from memory what I remember."

            Marcia

            Darlene Whitfield <sisdar@...> wrote:
[...]

            .

          • Darlene Whitfield
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 16, 2008
              Thanks Paula and Marcia,
              Eliza was only married one that I know of, she died in the 1930's in Craven Co. and had 8 children by husband "Ferdinand" Roberson
              He died in 1943, so he is not the one for the Civil War listing. They were married around 1879 in Greene Co.

              There seems to be a lot of James & Eliza, must have been real popular names during that time frame.

              Thanks again,
              Darlene

            • keithmstone
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 8, 2013
                This is my first post and would like to check I'm using the correct procedure. I am English but live in The Netherlands, I am researching my American daughter-in-law's family, I have a question for Darlene Whitfield concerning the Roberson family of Greene and Craven, North Carolina but first, I would like check I am in contact with the correct group.
              • rhodenccc
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 10, 2013
                  Hi Darlene, I have connected previously with someone researching the Roberson family. He's in another group I'm in. I'm not sure if he posts here. First name is: Gavin. I can give you that site name.
                  I'm rhodenccc at yahoo.com.

                  What Moores are you researching? Mine were in Pitt Co and migrated. Tho, we're getting some bingos off a recent DNA test for others in VA and NC. best cheryl

                  --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, "Darlene Whitfield" wrote:

                  > GenealogyPITT Co NC Friends in ResearchHi All,
                  > I am trying to research my Roberson / Robinson family that were from Greene Co. My great-grandfather was James "Fertinand" Robinson who married Eliza Jones. He is the son of Thomas Roberson & Mary "Clark" (who was from Pitt Co.) They lived in Greene Co. for many, many years. Eliza was the daughter of Aligood Jones. His father is Guardner Jones. The name Guardner is one that runs in the family well, there are several between original, son, grandson, nephews, etc. I have also seen where Eliza's sister, Martha (I think) married Cornelius Davis, and then later a Puryear.
                  >
                  > Ist there anyone researchings these two families that were from Greene Co. I have no idea where the family scattered to, except that my branch moved to Craven Co. to the Askins area around the 1910's to 1920's, which is where the majority of the children settled. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  > Darlene Drake Whitfield
                  > Researching - Roberson / Robinson; Jones; Nobles; McLawhorn; Moore; Ward; McCoy; Avery; Hawkins; and it seems like the rest of the world!

                • Wanda Dwyer
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 10, 2013
                    Hi Darlene,
                    I have researched Robersons from Beaufort, Greene, and Pitt County. I'm at
                    Wanda@...

                    Wanda R. Dwyer
                    Wilson, NC 27894

                    Phone# 252-752-1515 extension# 202