Re: [genpcncfir] Braxton Deaths

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 23, 2008
      Dear Bill,
      What an incredible service you are doing for all of
      us in making information like this available to us.
      This Braxton family is my father's line and contains
      some spelling errors.
      For example, my grandmother's name was Dosie Dail
      Braxton. She was the daughter of Matthew D. Dail and
      Eleanor Frances Crawford. Her uncle was Theophilus
      Dail, and in one census she was actually listed in his
      household as his niece. His wife's maiden name was
      Vandiford.
      Another problem crops us with brothers and sisters
      naming children for one another and for their
      grandparents. Thus we have Elias in my direct line and
      in my collateral lines. The same goes for James and
      John and Elbert in the Braxton line down to the
      present generation and with the girl's name "Hannah."
      For example, in Chronicles II more than one of us
      mistook James Braxton, the brother of Warren and Felix
      Braxton, for James Elias Braxton the son of James
      Braxton and Martha Crawford. Another reason for the
      confusion was that this man had children named Elias
      and Elbert, my father's name. The marriage certificate
      that I found in the courthouse in Greenville after the
      publication of Chronicles II gave the parents of my
      James Elias Braxton, who married Sarah Sutton, as
      James Braxton and Martha Crawford. That's how I
      learned that Augustus Braxton and Gatsey Ann Tripp
      were my great uncle and aunt, rather than my
      grandparents.
      From the names that James Elias and Martha gave
      their children and from the proximity of their
      household to that of John Braxton and Sarah year after
      year, I believe that John Braxton and Sarah were the
      parents of James Elias Braxton and that his
      grandparents were John Braxton and Hannah since James
      Elias also had siblings John and Hannah.
      In some of the Death Records also, my grandfather's
      name was misspelled. The correct name is Elijah
      Braxton.
      His brother was not only my great uncle but my
      step-grandfather. After the death of my grandfather in
      an auto accident in 1936, Elias Braxton (widower)
      married my widowed grandmother.
      We never knew him as Elias. He was always called
      "Goode" or "Goude." We children were taught to call
      him "Uncle Goode." Not until after his death did I
      know that he was named Elias and that he was my
      stepgrandfather.
      I don't know how all of you who never knew a
      grandfather feel about this circumstance, but, as for
      me, I felt terribly isolated and cut-off when
      classmates and friends talked about their grandfathers
      because so far as I knew I had none.
      Uncle Goode was absolutely spun gold as far as I
      was concerned. What a truly good, kind, and loving man
      he was all the days of his life that I knew him.
      Nothing could have pleased me more than to have been
      able to call him "granddaddy." I didn't, simply
      because nobody ever told me. Thanks to this group I
      discovered it for myself.
      Celebrations like the Worthington Family Reunion
      coming up this week on June 28th and the Pitt County
      Family Researchers Reunion give displaced persons like
      me their families back to them. No greater service can
      anyone do a kinsman than this.
      My own loss and the wonderful example members of
      this group and our extended Pitt County families have
      set in reuniting families make helping others
      reconnect with theirs a top priority for me.
      Special thanks to you, Bill, for your many
      kindnesses to all of us and for your generosity in
      sharing your knowledge with us.
      Sincerely, Carol

      === message truncated ===