Re: [genpcncfir] Edwards

  • Marcia McLawhorn
    Message 1 of 11 , May 15, 2008
      It was Donna Owens' information, I did not have them in my database.
      Perhaps she will see this and respond.
      Marcia

      Ruth Fentress <ruthbf@...> wrote:
      Marcia, who were the parents of Martha Ann EDWARDS who was the wife of
      Rev. Alfred Jackson Ellis ?
      Thank you.
      Ruth

      .

    • Marcia McLawhorn
      Message 2 of 11 , May 15, 2008
        Ruth,
        I researched this for you. Follow this link and you may have your answer:
        http://searches2.rootsweb.com/th/read/ELLIS/1999-06/0928608924

        In an email "From: Jeffrey Meeks" with the "Subject: [xrds] Ellis Bible records",
        there is entry from ALFRED J. ELLIS FAMILY BIBLE showing:

        Elisha Alfred J. Ellis married second in 1850,
        Martha Ann 'Patsy' Edwards, dau of Cullen and Sarah Edwards.
        She was born in 1829, and died on 10/18/1872.
        ______________
        Hopes this helps,
        Marcia

        Ruth Fentress <ruthbf@...> wrote:
        Marcia, who were the parents of Martha Ann EDWARDS who was the wife of Rev. Alfred Jackson Ellis ?
        Thank you.
        Ruth

        .

      • jonefa
        Message 3 of 11 , May 15, 2008
          I do not have Martha Ann Edwards the daughter of Cullen and Sarah Edwards.

          Deed Book 22, Page 703 (7 October 1841)

          Division of Real Estate of Harmon Edwards, dec'd among his lawful heirs.To wit: (1) Ashley Edwards (2) Martha Ann Edwards (3) Jackey Louisa Edwards (4) Shadrach W. Edwards (5) Bryant W. Edwards (6) James B.Edwards (7) Zora Ann Crisp (8) Sally Edwards

          Source: "Kinfolks of Edgecombe County, N.C. 1788-1855" by Joseph W.Watson 1969

          This deed was written in 1841, and Martha Ann Edwards did not marry Andrew Jackson Ellis until May 28, 1850.

          Harmon Edwards wife was named Celia.

          And I never found a source for the last name of the wife of Elisha Ellis, Sr. whose name was listed in a Bible record as Elisha and Charity Ellis. It is assumed that her last name was Thomas but that has always struck me as being odd. The Thomas family were known Baptists forming a church called the Toisnot Baptist Church.

          Elisha Ellis, Sr. built a Methodist Meeting House on his property. He lived on the stage coach road and travelling down that same road we come to another Baptist Church which was pastored by Joshua Barnes.

          Faye Hays

            Message 5 of 11 , May 25, 2008
              Thank you Marcia, for your answer. It helped.
              Ruth