Re: [genpcncfir] Elijah & Tempe (Thomas) Price

  • Marcia McLawhorn
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 25, 2008
      Carol,
      Thank you.

      I have mastered google searches. With a lot of patience, I run multiple searches and then just plain luck.

      In this case, "Price" is a word that would get lots of hits on non-genealogy sites.
      I try to eliminate those excess responses by adding different word combinations, because although I may review up to 500 sites for my own research, I will not look at more than 30-40 sites for names I have no interest in, like Price.

      1) One way is using a full name [in quotes] combined with a known location.
      "Elijah price" "Martin" "North Carolina" "Elijah price" "San Augustine, Texas"
      Notice: Since I can't be sure how a County will be in the record, I'd keep it separated from the state, but not so cities.

      2) One way to reduce extra sites is to search for multiple [related] people at the same time. This especially helps if one name is not common. "Elijah price" OR "Temperance Price" OR "Tempe Price" Thomas is too common a name.

      3) Sometimes I add words like "died children married" to try reduce the responses to genealogical data.

      I guess there are other tricks, but I can't think of them now. Reading documents that are found can provide helpful hints for finding new ones.

      Marcia

      Carol Singh <csinghworthington@...> wrote:
      Dear Marcia,
      You are absolutely incredible! How in the world
      did you happen across this information--for my future
      reference.
      Later, Carol

      .