Re: [genpcncfir] John Ellis b. 1596 in England

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 24, 2008
      This may not take you further back, the Mayflower book, but try page 573.
       Paula Baker

      Thomas Mann

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 25, 2008
        Nicole,

        There is a great deal of information on Edward Ellis and his descendants
        available in the "Ellis Family Papers", Collection No. 261, East Carolina
        Manuscript Collection, Y. J. Joyner Library, East Carolina University,
        Greenville, NC.

        This collection contains "Ellis Line From Surrey-Sussex in Virginia"
        researched and written by Dixie Lee McCrary.

        According to her, "Edward Ellis was brought to Virginia by Benjamin
        Carrill, in 1636, or perhaps somewhat earlier. "Cavaliers and Pioneers" by
        Nell Marion Nugent, shows (p. 41) that in that year Carrill assigned to
        Nathan Martin his right to 200 acres of land based on his having brought
        into the colony EDWARD ELLIS, Jonathon Dawson, Eliza Talley and Alex.
        Norrey. . In May, 1638, Benjamin Carrill himself obtained grant of 700 acres
        based on transportation of himself and wife and 12 others: Henry Carrill,
        Ann Peterson, Rich. Reeks, James Whitehead, Wm. Hills, Edmund Camellin,
        EDWARD ELLIS, Eliza Talley, Humphrey Williams, Jonathon Darson, Laur.
        Jackson, and Alex. Norey. .

        It is supposed that in accordance with custom Edward Ellis repaid the
        cost of his passage by serving his patron for a term of years, and on
        completion of his service was free to accumulate savings and acquire
        property. By 1655 he had applied for and received a grant of 100 acres from
        "escheated lands"; i.e. lands which had reverted to the Colonial Government
        for some reason, such as a death of the first grantee without heirs ....

        Edward Ellis originally lived in James City County; the part in which he
        lived became Surry County in 1652. Edward's line to Henry Ellis who was
        probably born in Surry Co., VA and immigrated to Pitt County was thoroughly
        researched by Ms McCrary. At the time she wrote the "Ellis Line." she did
        not know where Edward Ellis was born (assumed Wales or England), or where he
        lived prior to immigrating to Virginia. I have not attempted to research
        Edward's ancestors, but if he came from Massachusetts there may be a record
        of a Benjamin Carroll in Massachusetts who transported Edward to Virginia.

        Sammy Pierce