Re: [genpcncfir] John Ellis b. 1596 in England

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 24, 2008
      Go to Ancestry.com and the stories and publications tab.  Put in John Ellis.  Look in the results for Genealogies of Mayflower Families....
      There is information about John Ellis there.  Perhaps you've already seen this.

       Paula Baker

      Thomas Mann

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 24, 2008
        This may not take you further back, the Mayflower book, but try page 573.
         Paula Baker

        Thomas Mann

        Has anyone been successfully been able to trace back to this John
        Ellis, he died in Plymouth and his family settled in Virginia, Surry
        and later moved to Pitt County. His son was Edward Ellis b 1616 and it
        is through this line it links to Pitt County family.

        It seems a little sketchy when viewing other people's trees on
        ancestry.com, they have different wives and they all merge into the
        same line.

        This is a very early settler from England.

        Thanks,
        Nicole

        PS. I loved the maps from the civil war. I was able to find the area
        and saw some relative's names like Cox, Smith, Stokes. It's right
        below Greenville.

        Be a better friend, newshound, and

      • Sammy Pierce
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 25, 2008
          Nicole,

          There is a great deal of information on Edward Ellis and his descendants
          available in the "Ellis Family Papers", Collection No. 261, East Carolina
          Manuscript Collection, Y. J. Joyner Library, East Carolina University,
          Greenville, NC.

          This collection contains "Ellis Line From Surrey-Sussex in Virginia"
          researched and written by Dixie Lee McCrary.

          According to her, "Edward Ellis was brought to Virginia by Benjamin
          Carrill, in 1636, or perhaps somewhat earlier. "Cavaliers and Pioneers" by
          Nell Marion Nugent, shows (p. 41) that in that year Carrill assigned to
          Nathan Martin his right to 200 acres of land based on his having brought
          into the colony EDWARD ELLIS, Jonathon Dawson, Eliza Talley and Alex.
          Norrey. . In May, 1638, Benjamin Carrill himself obtained grant of 700 acres
          based on transportation of himself and wife and 12 others: Henry Carrill,
          Ann Peterson, Rich. Reeks, James Whitehead, Wm. Hills, Edmund Camellin,
          EDWARD ELLIS, Eliza Talley, Humphrey Williams, Jonathon Darson, Laur.
          Jackson, and Alex. Norey. .

          It is supposed that in accordance with custom Edward Ellis repaid the
          cost of his passage by serving his patron for a term of years, and on
          completion of his service was free to accumulate savings and acquire
          property. By 1655 he had applied for and received a grant of 100 acres from
          "escheated lands"; i.e. lands which had reverted to the Colonial Government
          for some reason, such as a death of the first grantee without heirs ....

          Edward Ellis originally lived in James City County; the part in which he
          lived became Surry County in 1652. Edward's line to Henry Ellis who was
          probably born in Surry Co., VA and immigrated to Pitt County was thoroughly
          researched by Ms McCrary. At the time she wrote the "Ellis Line." she did
          not know where Edward Ellis was born (assumed Wales or England), or where he
          lived prior to immigrating to Virginia. I have not attempted to research
          Edward's ancestors, but if he came from Massachusetts there may be a record
          of a Benjamin Carroll in Massachusetts who transported Edward to Virginia.

          Sammy Pierce