William MUMFORD Query

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 23, 2008
      Hello Group....
      Hope some of you will be able to help our member, Tim, with his below post to me:
      Greetings,
      My brickwall remains my G-G-G-G- Grandfather, William Mumford.

      He was married to Sarah Pugh Mumford, and had two sons (Lewis Mumford, and William Joseph Mumford). They lived in the Swift Creek area of Pitt County in the early 1800's.

      He was a War of 1812 veteran. I do not know where he came from, or anything about his parents or other family members (or where and how he may have died). I have suspicions that he may have come from the Craven County area, but have been unable to prove it. Please know that any assistance anyone may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

      Thank You Kindly,

      Tim Mumford

      jewelle@...
      jewellebaker@...

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 24, 2008
        William Mumford West Springfield, Hampshire, MA 1790
        William Mumford Edgecombe, Halifax, NC 1790
        William Mumford Onslow, NC 1790
         Paula Baker

        Thomas Mann

        jewelle@coastalnet. com
        jewellebaker@ suddenlink. net
        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/genpcncfir
        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/genpcncfir /messages

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 24, 2008
          Here is one possibility:
          Bertie County, North Carolina Vital Statistics, 1700s-1920
          about Mumford, William
          Name:Mumford, William
          Date of Birth:Bef 1755
          Father:Nathaniel Mumford
          Place of Birth:North Carolina

           Paula Baker

          Thomas Mann
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 24, 2008
            I found a person who has that William Mumford born in Wayne Co NC, husband of Sally Pugh and son of George Mumford and Edith.  The records are unsourced.

             Paula Baker

            Thomas Mann
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 24, 2008
              Here is a link to George Mumford, rep from NC.

              http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=M001075

               Paula Baker

              Thomas Mann
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 24, 2008
                If it turns out that George Mumford is related to you, please see this link, which is a letter written back in the day that states that the rep George Mumford who died was born in CT and moved to NC when young.
                http://cdi.uvm.edu/collections/item/craftsB02f020i001&view=transcript

                 Paula Baker

                Thomas Mann
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 24, 2008
                  Dear Paula,
                  Your tracking down this information is remarkable.
                  I would have thought it impossible after so many years
                  to discover so small a detail as this one. You deserve
                  credit, too, for all the work you did to help someone
                  else find his roots.
                  We are very lucky to have people like you in our
                  group.
                  You have made my day.
                  Carol

                  > If it turns out that George Mumford is related to
                  > you, please see this link, which is a letter written
                  > back in the day that states that the rep George
                  > Mumford who died was born in CT and moved to NC when
                  > young.

                  http://cdi.uvm.edu/collections/item/craftsB02f020i001&view=transcript

                  >  Paula Baker
                  > Researching Cole, Wilkerson, Norman, and White in
                  > Georgia, South Carolina, and Louisiana and
                  > Baker, Tyson, Manning, and Stocks in North Carolina
                  >
                  > "We are not free, separate, and independent
                  > entities, but like links in a chain, and we could
                  > not by any means be what we are without those who
                  > went before us and showed us the way."
                  > Thomas Mann

                  Be a better friend, newshound, and
                • Marcia McLawhorn
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 25, 2008
                    Paula,
                    I looked up the links you provided. Great work!
                    Marcia