Re: [genpcncfir] Who has a "BrickWall" out there????--PRICE

  • Winack27@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 21, 2008
      Jewel,
      Here is mine. I would like any information on any of Elijah`s relatives
      (parents, siblings etc.) he was a Rev Sol. that served from Martin Co..
      I know the children`s names from his will but not who most of them married
      etc.
      I am fairly sure that his last child (born after his death ) was John and I
      have included him here. I have information that I will gladly share.
      Anne

      My brick wall ---- ELIJAH PRICE b. Martin Co., N.C d. Martin Co., N.C. 1794
      m. Nancy ROSS b. Martin Co.
      children:

      Mary PRICE

      Sarah PRICE

      Winne/Winnie PRICE m. ? MARTIN before 1794

      Elizabeth PRICE b. c. 1775 m. 1. ? HURST? m. 2 James HORNE

      Scina PRICE b. c. 1780 in Martin Co., N.C. d. 16 July 1842 Henry Co., Ga. m.
      1. Redden ADAMS m. 2. Noah LEGGETT

      Elijah PRICE b. 9 Sept 1791 Martin Co., N.C. d. 17 Nov 1852 San Augustine,
      Texas m. Temperance THOMAS 11 Dec. 1821 in Edgecombe Co. N.C.

      Nancy PRICE b. c. 1792 m. PITTMAN???

      Lydia PRICE b. Archelaus BARNES THOMAS d. c. 1836 Sumter Co., Ala.

      John PRICE b. 1794 m. MARIA ADAMS d. aft. 1850 in prob. Ala.

      listings at AOL Autos.

    • Marcia McLawhorn
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 21, 2008
        Anne,
        I suppose you have seen these....
        Marcia

        http://libweb.sfasu.edu/proser/etrc/collections/manuscript/personal/pricewilliam/index.html

        Stephen F. Austin State University
        Ralph W. Steen Library
        William F. Price Collection

        BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH

        Elijah Price was born in Martin County, North Carolina on September 9, 1791. On December 11, 1821 he married Temperance ("Tempe") Thomas of Stantonsburg, North Carolina. They remained in North Carolina until 1830, at which time they moved to Lawrence County, Alabama. They also lived in Sumter County, where Price served as a State Representative in the Alabama Legislature. In 1841 the Price family moved to Texas, staying for a while in Polk (then Liberty) County, then later settling on a large plantation near San Augustine. Price was a Mason, an Odd Fellow, and a member of Christ Episcopal Church. He died in San Augustine on November 17, 1852, leaving his widow to continue running the plantation until her death about 1859. There were ten children in the Price family, and the plantation was sold after Tempe died.

        (Price, William Hall and Mackenzie, Ann Price, Price Family Record, 1976; Crocket, G. L., Two Centuries in East Texas, Dallas: Southwest Press, 1932)
        Location of Records [A-26] Boxes 1-4
        BOX 1 INVENTORY
        Folders 1-22 Correspondence to Elijah Price 1842-1852
        Folder 23 Estate papers 1849-1851
        BOX 2 INVENTORY
        Folders 1-2 Legal papers to Elijah Price1837-1852
        Folders 3-7 Accounts and bills of Elijah Price1840-1850
        Folders 8-11 Receipts of Elijah Price1843-1852
        Folder 12 Promissory notes and list of notes
        Folders 13-14: Estate of Elijah Price, 1853-1858
        Folders 19-19 Correspondence to Tempe Price Dec1852-Jan1857

        ...etc.

        http://tides.sfasu.edu:2006/
        Pictures of some of the documents. Find by searching for "Price"

        http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/nc/edgecombe/obits/p/price264gob.txt
        http://www.historicmarkers.com/tag/temperance/10/10/
        http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ohhuron/pfairfield.htm

      • Chiquita

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 22, 2008
            Dear Marcia,
            You are absolutely incredible! How in the world
            did you happen across this information--for my future
            reference.
            Later, Carol

            Be a better friend, newshound, and
          • Evelyn Hendricks
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 22, 2008
              Was this Elijah Price related to Nathaniel who was born about 1790? He lived
              at one time in what now is Greene Co. before moving on to Duplin Co.

              Evelyn

              _____

              http://tides. <http://tides.sfasu.edu:2006/> sfasu.edu:2006/

              http://www.historic <http://www.historicmarkers.com/tag/temperance/10/10/>

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 22, 2008
                If he was related to Nathaniel, I do not know about it. What I sent is just
                about all that I know.

                listings at AOL Autos.

              • Winack27@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 22, 2008
                  Marcia,
                  Yes, I even contributed that, I thank you very, very, much for sending it tho.
                  Anne

                  listings at AOL Autos.

                • Marcia McLawhorn
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 25, 2008
                    Carol,
                    Thank you.

                    I have mastered google searches. With a lot of patience, I run multiple searches and then just plain luck.

                    In this case, "Price" is a word that would get lots of hits on non-genealogy sites.
                    I try to eliminate those excess responses by adding different word combinations, because although I may review up to 500 sites for my own research, I will not look at more than 30-40 sites for names I have no interest in, like Price.

                    1) One way is using a full name [in quotes] combined with a known location.
                    "Elijah price" "Martin" "North Carolina" "Elijah price" "San Augustine, Texas"
                    Notice: Since I can't be sure how a County will be in the record, I'd keep it separated from the state, but not so cities.

                    2) One way to reduce extra sites is to search for multiple [related] people at the same time. This especially helps if one name is not common. "Elijah price" OR "Temperance Price" OR "Tempe Price" Thomas is too common a name.

                    3) Sometimes I add words like "died children married" to try reduce the responses to genealogical data.

                    I guess there are other tricks, but I can't think of them now. Reading documents that are found can provide helpful hints for finding new ones.

                    Marcia

                    .