Re: [genpcncfir] Re: Allen & Braxton family in Dickson Co., TN

    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 31, 2008
      Dear Linda,
      The rest of the story comes back to me now. What I
      did not know was what part of Tennessee Lacey and his
      new wife settled in.
      I also do not know whether in Tennessee as in
      North Carolina some of those counties changed
      boundaries over time. Additionally, most maps we see
      displayed in classrooms all across the country do not
      give the county names of any county in any state.
      The same applies to foreign countries. Imagine my
      chagrin when a Mexican lady asked me what I meant when
      I referred to Mexico, the state or the Federal
      District?
      Of course, we have Washington, D.C. and Washington
      State, so the question by itself was no big deal. The
      big deal was that nobody in my whole life, despite my
      educational level, had ever let it out that Mexico was
      divided into states.
      I do know that many people, unlike me, do know
      geographical facts very well. I am willing to bet also
      that you probably do know approximately the distance
      between Dickson County and the counties where some of
      our kin first settled.
      Very possibly, another Braxton family than our kin
      settled in areas of Tennessee for the same reasons
      ours did.
      I was wondering if perhaps the author of the
      e-mail given enough information from us might be able
      to find the origins of his own line.
      Despite my years of research, I still have gaps in
      my lineage before 1850.
      Perhaps one day by chance somebody will provide
      additional information, as Elias did in his 1915
      letter, that will answer some of our own unanswered
      questions.
      In the meantime, I wait for breaks in my work
      schedule that will let me get back to Greenville to
      pursue additional leads through courthouse records and
      library resources.
      The latest from our Virginia Braxtons is that my
      nephew Timothy Howard Braxton, son of my brother
      Howard Worthington Braxton, has started his own
      Braxton web page.
      As soon as I get a chance, I will access his site
      and let you know if he has information that we do not.
      My brother Howard has known through his work for
      years a Braxton family that moved here from Pitt. We
      have corresponded from time to time. I'll get back to
      you to share any new information.
      As always, it is good to hear from you.
      Later, Carol

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?