RE: [genpcncfir] basic genealogy question

    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 4, 2007
      Dear Victoria,
      I get that! Your family tree has no limbs. It's
      just a trunk.
      At least, one does not have to worry about
      collateral lines. The lines simply converge.
      Later, Carol
      --- "Victoria J. Glover" <vglover776@...>
      wrote:

      > Or your branches don't fork.
      >

      > Charlotte Beck <cvbeck@...> wrote:
      > Carol,
      >
      > I just barely kept up with that description. Ain’t
      > life funny???? J

      Be a better pen pal.
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 4, 2007
        Dear Charlotte,
        I have several situations like that. Two children
        of my great grandfather married their uncle's
        children. This made my great grandfather my great
        uncle and my great uncle my great grandfather x 2.
        Then on the Braxton side, my great uncle married
        his sister-in-law who was my grandmother. My great
        uncle became my grandfather, and my grandmother became
        my great aunt.
        His children went from being my cousins to being
        my aunts and uncles because with the marriage they
        became children of my grandfather.
        My grandmother's children, my aunts and uncles,
        became my cousins when she married my great uncle.
        Then we had a daughter who married her deceased
        husband's father, and a widower who married his
        daughter's sister-in-law.
        The daughter had had children by the son. Then she
        had children by her former father-in-law.
        Her children by the first marriage were the
        grandchildren of her second husband. Her children by
        the second marriage were the aunts and uncles of the
        children of the first marriage.
        Both sets of children were half brothers and
        sisters.
        Try explaining that to your genealogical group.

        Say what people will, family is anything but dull.
        Later, Carol

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • chiquita_grn
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 5, 2007
          BEtter luck explain that to your children
          see what they say
          lol
          --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh

          ______________
          > Be a better pen pal.
          > Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how.
          http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/

        • Debbie Fields Murphy
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 26, 2011
            What is the "cousin-smart" program?

            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 26, 2011
              I have some questions regarding the Thomas Wiggins families. His wife was Mary Polly Moore born abt 1815. Anyone having information
              I would greatly appreciate it. Living relatives of this line don't have any information and I am helping them. Thanks much,

              God Bless,
              Linda

              My great uncles Franklin and Guildford McGowan
              married sisters Peggy and Lezina Cherry.
              My great uncles, their first cousins, married
              Vincent sisters.
              As you know, Franklin's children would be the
              nieces and nephews of Guilford's children because
              their fathers were brothers.
              Now, their mothers are sisters. Franklin's
              children's mother was Peggy Cherry; they would be the
              nieces and nephews of Lezina Cherry since their
              mothers were sisters.
              In both cases, the children would be each others'
              first cousins. Mama called the relationship, "double
              first cousins."
              I am sure that other group members will reply.
              Therefore, if I am wrong, both of us will be sure to
              be set straight.
              I will read through the rest of your letter again,
              and try to answer your other questions.
              Later, Carol
              --- Kelly Trout <HYPERLINK
              "mailto:kellytrout%40sbcglobal.net";kellytrout@...> wrote:

              > Hi Everyone,
              >
              > Are there any specific genealogy terms for the
              > following situations?
              >
              > My grandfather, Kenzie Driggers, married a woman
              > named Archie Lee Deese. Kenzie's sister then
              > married Archie's brother. So....a brother and
              > sister from one family married a sister and a
              > brother from another.
              >
              > Also, Kenzie's other sister, Jane, married a man
              > named Daniel Clark. Then one of Kenzie's daughters
              > married Daniel Clark's younger brother.
              >
              > I'm telling you - I'm a little afraid to plug these
              > into the "cousin-smart" program - for fear it'll
              > blow a fuse or something :-)
              >
              > My husband says the technical term for these
              > situations is "shallow gene pool" LOL It is pretty
              > funny, isn't it? - but I do imagine this sort of
              > thing was lots more common in the past, and whether
              > genealogy experts have a name for it.
              >
              > Thanks, you guys!
              > Kelly

              7:53 PM

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              12:05 PM

            • Marcia McLawhorn
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 21, 2011
                Debbie,
                You asked - What is the "cousin-smart" program?

                Legacy Family Tree Genealogy Software has created this term which describes how they handle duplicate data in your genealogy chart.

                Duplicity occurs when cousins (no matter how distant) marry. The marriage causes the same people to be on two lines of your genealogy chart making a lot of the information to be duplicated.

                Legacy handles these duplicate persons on your chart by putting them in both places on your chart, highlighted in gray boxes. However, the lineage is only continued on one branch from that point on the chart to conserve space. This is Progeny's Cousin Smart option in action, which is called 'pedigree collapse' or 'implexus'.

                Marcia
                My NC McLawhorn research also has this situation. My son's 4th-great-grandfather straight up his paternal line is also his 5th-great-grandfather following up his great-grandmother's line.