RE: [genpcncfir] basic genealogy question

  • Victoria J. Glover
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 3, 2007
      Or your branches don't fork.

      Charlotte Beck <cvbeck@...> wrote:
      Carol,

      I just barely kept up with that description. Ain’t life funny???? J
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 4, 2007
        Dear Charlotte,
        Yes, the way I figure it. As I said before, if I
        am wrong, I will soon find out how to call relatives
        whose ties are like those of yours and mine.
        That's the beauty of having a group to share our
        thoughts with. No matter what the topic, somebody
        knows something that nobody else knows.
        Good to hear from you. Yes, like you too, I've
        had the experience of seeing the same faces staring
        back at me. Genetics will tell.
        Later, Carol

        "mailto:kellytrout%40sbcglobal.net"kellytrout@...>

        "http://autos.yahoo.com/index.html"http://autos.yahoo.com/index.html

        > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        > Release Date: 10/17/2007
        > 7:53 PM

        > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        > Release Date: 12/1/2007
        > 12:05 PM

        Make Yahoo! your homepage.
        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 4, 2007
          Dear Kelly and Charlotte,
          Yes, life is funny! Laughter is part of the oil
          that floats the universe, and so is love.
          Especially in nursing, people talk all the time
          about hope and its being essential to helping people
          get well. For my part,though, love and laughter are
          the essentials. These are my trade secrets. I take
          them wherever I go, and I haven't been disappointed
          yet.
          People can harden their hearts to love, but
          everybody I've met has a funny bone. Tickle that, and
          hope is not far behind.
          Later, Carol

          Make Yahoo! your homepage.
          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 4, 2007
            Dear Victoria,
            I get that! Your family tree has no limbs. It's
            just a trunk.
            At least, one does not have to worry about
            collateral lines. The lines simply converge.
            Later, Carol
            --- "Victoria J. Glover" <vglover776@...>
            wrote:

            > Or your branches don't fork.
            >

            > Charlotte Beck <cvbeck@...> wrote:
            > Carol,
            >
            > I just barely kept up with that description. Ain’t
            > life funny???? J

            Be a better pen pal.
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 4, 2007
              Dear Charlotte,
              I have several situations like that. Two children
              of my great grandfather married their uncle's
              children. This made my great grandfather my great
              uncle and my great uncle my great grandfather x 2.
              Then on the Braxton side, my great uncle married
              his sister-in-law who was my grandmother. My great
              uncle became my grandfather, and my grandmother became
              my great aunt.
              His children went from being my cousins to being
              my aunts and uncles because with the marriage they
              became children of my grandfather.
              My grandmother's children, my aunts and uncles,
              became my cousins when she married my great uncle.
              Then we had a daughter who married her deceased
              husband's father, and a widower who married his
              daughter's sister-in-law.
              The daughter had had children by the son. Then she
              had children by her former father-in-law.
              Her children by the first marriage were the
              grandchildren of her second husband. Her children by
              the second marriage were the aunts and uncles of the
              children of the first marriage.
              Both sets of children were half brothers and
              sisters.
              Try explaining that to your genealogical group.

              Say what people will, family is anything but dull.
              Later, Carol

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • chiquita_grn
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 5, 2007
                BEtter luck explain that to your children
                see what they say
                lol
                --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh

                ______________
                > Be a better pen pal.
                > Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how.
                http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/

              • Debbie Fields Murphy
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 26, 2011
                  What is the "cousin-smart" program?

                  My great uncles Franklin and Guildford McGowan
                  married sisters Peggy and Lezina Cherry.
                  My great uncles, their first cousins, married
                  Vincent sisters.
                  As you know, Franklin's children would be the
                  nieces and nephews of Guilford's children because
                  their fathers were brothers.
                  Now, their mothers are sisters. Franklin's
                  children's mother was Peggy Cherry; they would be the
                  nieces and nephews of Lezina Cherry since their
                  mothers were sisters.
                  In both cases, the children would be each others'
                  first cousins. Mama called the relationship, "double
                  first cousins."
                  I am sure that other group members will reply.
                  Therefore, if I am wrong, both of us will be sure to
                  be set straight.
                  I will read through the rest of your letter again,
                  and try to answer your other questions.
                  Later, Carol
                  --- Kelly Trout <HYPERLINK
                  "mailto:kellytrout%40sbcglobal.net"kellytrout@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Everyone,
                  >
                  > Are there any specific genealogy terms for the
                  > following situations?
                  >
                  > My grandfather, Kenzie Driggers, married a woman
                  > named Archie Lee Deese. Kenzie's sister then
                  > married Archie's brother. So....a brother and
                  > sister from one family married a sister and a
                  > brother from another.
                  >
                  > Also, Kenzie's other sister, Jane, married a man
                  > named Daniel Clark. Then one of Kenzie's daughters
                  > married Daniel Clark's younger brother.
                  >
                  > I'm telling you - I'm a little afraid to plug these
                  > into the "cousin-smart" program - for fear it'll
                  > blow a fuse or something :-)
                  >
                  > My husband says the technical term for these
                  > situations is "shallow gene pool" LOL It is pretty
                  > funny, isn't it? - but I do imagine this sort of
                  > thing was lots more common in the past, and whether
                  > genealogy experts have a name for it.
                  >
                  > Thanks, you guys!
                  > Kelly

                  7:53 PM

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  12:05 PM

                • ldmel1@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 26, 2011
                    I have some questions regarding the Thomas Wiggins families. His wife was Mary Polly Moore born abt 1815. Anyone having information
                    I would greatly appreciate it. Living relatives of this line don't have any information and I am helping them. Thanks much,

                    God Bless,
                    Linda

                    My great uncles Franklin and Guildford McGowan
                    married sisters Peggy and Lezina Cherry.
                    My great uncles, their first cousins, married
                    Vincent sisters.
                    As you know, Franklin's children would be the
                    nieces and nephews of Guilford's children because
                    their fathers were brothers.
                    Now, their mothers are sisters. Franklin's
                    children's mother was Peggy Cherry; they would be the
                    nieces and nephews of Lezina Cherry since their
                    mothers were sisters.
                    In both cases, the children would be each others'
                    first cousins. Mama called the relationship, "double
                    first cousins."
                    I am sure that other group members will reply.
                    Therefore, if I am wrong, both of us will be sure to
                    be set straight.
                    I will read through the rest of your letter again,
                    and try to answer your other questions.
                    Later, Carol
                    --- Kelly Trout <HYPERLINK
                    "mailto:kellytrout%40sbcglobal.net";kellytrout@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Everyone,
                    >
                    > Are there any specific genealogy terms for the
                    > following situations?
                    >
                    > My grandfather, Kenzie Driggers, married a woman
                    > named Archie Lee Deese. Kenzie's sister then
                    > married Archie's brother. So....a brother and
                    > sister from one family married a sister and a
                    > brother from another.
                    >
                    > Also, Kenzie's other sister, Jane, married a man
                    > named Daniel Clark. Then one of Kenzie's daughters
                    > married Daniel Clark's younger brother.
                    >
                    > I'm telling you - I'm a little afraid to plug these
                    > into the "cousin-smart" program - for fear it'll
                    > blow a fuse or something :-)
                    >
                    > My husband says the technical term for these
                    > situations is "shallow gene pool" LOL It is pretty
                    > funny, isn't it? - but I do imagine this sort of
                    > thing was lots more common in the past, and whether
                    > genealogy experts have a name for it.
                    >
                    > Thanks, you guys!
                    > Kelly

                    7:53 PM

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                    12:05 PM

                  • Marcia McLawhorn
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 21, 2011
                      Debbie,
                      You asked - What is the "cousin-smart" program?

                      Legacy Family Tree Genealogy Software has created this term which describes how they handle duplicate data in your genealogy chart.

                      Duplicity occurs when cousins (no matter how distant) marry. The marriage causes the same people to be on two lines of your genealogy chart making a lot of the information to be duplicated.

                      Legacy handles these duplicate persons on your chart by putting them in both places on your chart, highlighted in gray boxes. However, the lineage is only continued on one branch from that point on the chart to conserve space. This is Progeny's Cousin Smart option in action, which is called 'pedigree collapse' or 'implexus'.

                      Marcia
                      My NC McLawhorn research also has this situation. My son's 4th-great-grandfather straight up his paternal line is also his 5th-great-grandfather following up his great-grandmother's line.