RE: [genpcncfir] basic genealogy question

  • Charlotte Beck
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 3, 2007
      My Grandmother is still living (95 in January 2008).

      She had a sister named Pearl.

      Grandma (Nettie) married Roy Wiggins.

      Pearl married Herman Wiggins – Roy’s brother.

      So – my Mom has double first cousins….just like mentioned in the email
      before.

      I went to my 1st family dinner with her cousins a month or so ago. So funny
      to see children that looked that my Mom’s brothers and sisters. (Mom has 10
      brothers and sisters (5 and 5) out of 12 living. But, when you’re looking
      at the same genetics on both sides (sisters marrying brothers) – I guess
      that is what happens.

      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 3, 2007
        Carol,

        I just barely kept up with that description. Ain’t life funny???? J

        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 3, 2007
          Or your branches don't fork.

          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 3, 2007
            My father’s father (my Grandfather) married his 1st cousin’s child. (2nd
            marriage). So – Grandpa Oscar Varnell (son of Joseph Varnell) married Rosa
            Webb (daughter of Martha Varnell & Big Tom Webb). Martha’s Grandfather was
            Bolen Varnell (Brother of Joseph). My Dad jokes around calling one Grandpa
            and the other Uncle Grandpa.

            Cracks me up!

            We all ended up normal……ok as normal as Varnells can. J

            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 4, 2007
              Dear Charlotte,
              Yes, the way I figure it. As I said before, if I
              am wrong, I will soon find out how to call relatives
              whose ties are like those of yours and mine.
              That's the beauty of having a group to share our
              thoughts with. No matter what the topic, somebody
              knows something that nobody else knows.
              Good to hear from you. Yes, like you too, I've
              had the experience of seeing the same faces staring
              back at me. Genetics will tell.
              Later, Carol

              Make Yahoo! your homepage.
              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 4, 2007
                Dear Kelly and Charlotte,
                Yes, life is funny! Laughter is part of the oil
                that floats the universe, and so is love.
                Especially in nursing, people talk all the time
                about hope and its being essential to helping people
                get well. For my part,though, love and laughter are
                the essentials. These are my trade secrets. I take
                them wherever I go, and I haven't been disappointed
                yet.
                People can harden their hearts to love, but
                everybody I've met has a funny bone. Tickle that, and
                hope is not far behind.
                Later, Carol

                Make Yahoo! your homepage.
                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 4, 2007
                  Dear Victoria,
                  I get that! Your family tree has no limbs. It's
                  just a trunk.
                  At least, one does not have to worry about
                  collateral lines. The lines simply converge.
                  Later, Carol
                  --- "Victoria J. Glover" <vglover776@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Or your branches don't fork.
                  >

                  > Charlotte Beck <cvbeck@...> wrote:
                  > Carol,
                  >
                  > I just barely kept up with that description. Ain’t
                  > life funny???? J

                  Be a better pen pal.
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 4, 2007
                    Dear Charlotte,
                    I have several situations like that. Two children
                    of my great grandfather married their uncle's
                    children. This made my great grandfather my great
                    uncle and my great uncle my great grandfather x 2.
                    Then on the Braxton side, my great uncle married
                    his sister-in-law who was my grandmother. My great
                    uncle became my grandfather, and my grandmother became
                    my great aunt.
                    His children went from being my cousins to being
                    my aunts and uncles because with the marriage they
                    became children of my grandfather.
                    My grandmother's children, my aunts and uncles,
                    became my cousins when she married my great uncle.
                    Then we had a daughter who married her deceased
                    husband's father, and a widower who married his
                    daughter's sister-in-law.
                    The daughter had had children by the son. Then she
                    had children by her former father-in-law.
                    Her children by the first marriage were the
                    grandchildren of her second husband. Her children by
                    the second marriage were the aunts and uncles of the
                    children of the first marriage.
                    Both sets of children were half brothers and
                    sisters.
                    Try explaining that to your genealogical group.

                    Say what people will, family is anything but dull.
                    Later, Carol

                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  • chiquita_grn
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 5, 2007
                      BEtter luck explain that to your children
                      see what they say
                      lol
                      --- In genpcncfir@yahoogroups.com, Carol Singh

                      ______________
                      > Be a better pen pal.
                      > Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how.
                      http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/

                    • Debbie Fields Murphy
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 26, 2011
                        What is the "cousin-smart" program?

                        My great uncles Franklin and Guildford McGowan
                        married sisters Peggy and Lezina Cherry.
                        My great uncles, their first cousins, married
                        Vincent sisters.
                        As you know, Franklin's children would be the
                        nieces and nephews of Guilford's children because
                        their fathers were brothers.
                        Now, their mothers are sisters. Franklin's
                        children's mother was Peggy Cherry; they would be the
                        nieces and nephews of Lezina Cherry since their
                        mothers were sisters.
                        In both cases, the children would be each others'
                        first cousins. Mama called the relationship, "double
                        first cousins."
                        I am sure that other group members will reply.
                        Therefore, if I am wrong, both of us will be sure to
                        be set straight.
                        I will read through the rest of your letter again,
                        and try to answer your other questions.
                        Later, Carol
                        --- Kelly Trout <HYPERLINK
                        "mailto:kellytrout%40sbcglobal.net"kellytrout@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Everyone,
                        >
                        > Are there any specific genealogy terms for the
                        > following situations?
                        >
                        > My grandfather, Kenzie Driggers, married a woman
                        > named Archie Lee Deese. Kenzie's sister then
                        > married Archie's brother. So....a brother and
                        > sister from one family married a sister and a
                        > brother from another.
                        >
                        > Also, Kenzie's other sister, Jane, married a man
                        > named Daniel Clark. Then one of Kenzie's daughters
                        > married Daniel Clark's younger brother.
                        >
                        > I'm telling you - I'm a little afraid to plug these
                        > into the "cousin-smart" program - for fear it'll
                        > blow a fuse or something :-)
                        >
                        > My husband says the technical term for these
                        > situations is "shallow gene pool" LOL It is pretty
                        > funny, isn't it? - but I do imagine this sort of
                        > thing was lots more common in the past, and whether
                        > genealogy experts have a name for it.
                        >
                        > Thanks, you guys!
                        > Kelly

                        7:53 PM

                        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                        12:05 PM

                      • ldmel1@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 26, 2011
                          I have some questions regarding the Thomas Wiggins families. His wife was Mary Polly Moore born abt 1815. Anyone having information
                          I would greatly appreciate it. Living relatives of this line don't have any information and I am helping them. Thanks much,

                          God Bless,
                          Linda

                          My great uncles Franklin and Guildford McGowan
                          married sisters Peggy and Lezina Cherry.
                          My great uncles, their first cousins, married
                          Vincent sisters.
                          As you know, Franklin's children would be the
                          nieces and nephews of Guilford's children because
                          their fathers were brothers.
                          Now, their mothers are sisters. Franklin's
                          children's mother was Peggy Cherry; they would be the
                          nieces and nephews of Lezina Cherry since their
                          mothers were sisters.
                          In both cases, the children would be each others'
                          first cousins. Mama called the relationship, "double
                          first cousins."
                          I am sure that other group members will reply.
                          Therefore, if I am wrong, both of us will be sure to
                          be set straight.
                          I will read through the rest of your letter again,
                          and try to answer your other questions.
                          Later, Carol
                          --- Kelly Trout <HYPERLINK
                          "mailto:kellytrout%40sbcglobal.net";kellytrout@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Everyone,
                          >
                          > Are there any specific genealogy terms for the
                          > following situations?
                          >
                          > My grandfather, Kenzie Driggers, married a woman
                          > named Archie Lee Deese. Kenzie's sister then
                          > married Archie's brother. So....a brother and
                          > sister from one family married a sister and a
                          > brother from another.
                          >
                          > Also, Kenzie's other sister, Jane, married a man
                          > named Daniel Clark. Then one of Kenzie's daughters
                          > married Daniel Clark's younger brother.
                          >
                          > I'm telling you - I'm a little afraid to plug these
                          > into the "cousin-smart" program - for fear it'll
                          > blow a fuse or something :-)
                          >
                          > My husband says the technical term for these
                          > situations is "shallow gene pool" LOL It is pretty
                          > funny, isn't it? - but I do imagine this sort of
                          > thing was lots more common in the past, and whether
                          > genealogy experts have a name for it.
                          >
                          > Thanks, you guys!
                          > Kelly

                          7:53 PM

                          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                          12:05 PM

                        • Marcia McLawhorn
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 21, 2011
                            Debbie,
                            You asked - What is the "cousin-smart" program?

                            Legacy Family Tree Genealogy Software has created this term which describes how they handle duplicate data in your genealogy chart.

                            Duplicity occurs when cousins (no matter how distant) marry. The marriage causes the same people to be on two lines of your genealogy chart making a lot of the information to be duplicated.

                            Legacy handles these duplicate persons on your chart by putting them in both places on your chart, highlighted in gray boxes. However, the lineage is only continued on one branch from that point on the chart to conserve space. This is Progeny's Cousin Smart option in action, which is called 'pedigree collapse' or 'implexus'.

                            Marcia
                            My NC McLawhorn research also has this situation. My son's 4th-great-grandfather straight up his paternal line is also his 5th-great-grandfather following up his great-grandmother's line.