Re: [genpcncfir] Digest Number 2278

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2007
      Dear Ola,
      The Norfolk area was a popular first landing for
      many of our ancestors. It's being right on the ocean
      made it a convenient dropping off spot. Additionally,
      I learned that there was a shipyard at Norfolk by the
      1630's that was hiring persons skilled in shipbuilding
      and related occupations during the 1630's, if not
      before.
      In the case of my earliest Cherry kin, I found a
      document booking the family's passage to Norfolk in
      1632 and giving his trade as shipbuilder and the
      purpose of his passage that of employment in the
      shipyard at Norfolk.
      Interesting, isn't it?
      Later, Carol